Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our Pass Rush is a BIG Problem

armada58

I think your missing the point. I think we have had 2 sacks in the last 3 games. Sorry but that's bad and will come back to haunt us. Yes as a whole the defense played great, but our d-line is horrible. They better pick it up or the secondary is going to start getting killed. That's why our secondary is ranked so low in the NFL. They have to run around all day with WRs to stop them. The d-line needs to get some damn pressure. The guy that made this thread is right now matter what some of you think.

Quoted for truth. Torrence should not be burned at the stake for that play. He's the 4th cb. He shouldn't be expected to cover somebody for as long as he did. The Rams made them pay. Even Blache says that. Go check out the breaking news section.

sacks dont equate to how well youre defensive line is....pressure which causes incompletions is just as good....plus you have to take into account stopping the running game.

so far...not including this game, we are 8th in the league in total yards....i am not complaining about any aspect of our defense...and no its not gonna come back and bite us. We beat the cowboys and eagles who are a pass happy offense, with great defense....or have you all already forgotten about those games?

sacks dont equate to how well youre defensive line is....pressure which causes incompletions is just as good....plus you have to take into account stopping the running game.

so far...not including this game, we are 8th in the league in total yards....i am not complaining about any aspect of our defense...and no its not gonna come back and bite us. We beat the cowboys and eagles who are a pass happy offense, with great defense....or have you all already forgotten about those games?

We only beat the Eagles with great defense. We beat the Cowboys with great offense.

Meanwhile, holding the Rams to 200 yards is not much of an accomplishment. The Eagles held them to 166. The Giants held them to 201. The Seahawks held them to 240. The Bills "held" them to 380, so who knows what happened there.

We only beat the Eagles with great defense. We beat the Cowboys with great offense.

Meanwhile, holding the Rams to 200 yards is not much of an accomplishment. The Eagles held them to 166. The Giants held them to 201. The Seahawks held them to 240. The Bills "held" them to 380, so who knows what happened there.

Those stats actually refuted your very own argument there and I think you kind of felt it... lol.

Either way, it's foolish to look at yardage totals as if it can tell us something without the context of game situations. The simple fact is that our Defense had to deal with horrible field position all day and did an amazing job. We held them to 5-7 first downs or something.

I can't believe any of us are actually complaining about the defense.

im pretty sure the front office is taking a look at it in this yrs draft. what picks do we have next yr? not that im looking forward to the draft already.. but being we are loading at recievers, rbs, qb, lbs... we should draft, DE,DT. OT. OL and cbs... our d only gets better annually. blades is learning from a G in london.

Those stats actually refuted your very own argument there and I think you kind of felt it... lol.

Either way, it's foolish to look at yardage totals as if it can tell us something without the context of game situations. The simple fact is that our Defense had to deal with horrible field position all day and did an amazing job. We held them to 5-7 first downs or something.

I can't believe any of us are actually complaining about the defense.

We held them to eight first downs, the last two being the most important and being a direct result of our lacking pass rush.

Only on ES are sacks devalued to the point to where it's looked at as a bad thing.

Sacks are drive killers. Don't believe me? Look at our offense yesterday and what Leonard Little did to it.

All this BS about sacks are not that important is just another rationalization by some members here to justify the front office's lack of competence when it comes to drafting dlinemen.

ok for one yes sacks are drive killers....but at the same time why are we complaining about the defensive line when there are much bigger problems here...for instance having a punter that can kick the ball further than 25 yards and a kicker who can manage to keep the ball on the field during kick offs.....I for one will take a pressure incompletion on third down than a sack here and there on occasion....o and on the last play avery ran downfield for 3 seconds on a four man pass rush...do you really expect them to get a sack every down in 3 seconds?....its like we forget their lineman get paid to protect the QB

I seem to remember a huge uproar at us not drafting offensive lineman and now we have the number one rusher in the NFL....good call on that

It's nice to see some people keep this in perspective... The defense wasn't a big problem. We had 2 sacks in 26 pass attempts (which isn't horrible). Mark Bulger would've had less than 100 yards passing if Leigh Torrence had made that last play. The big problem was the offense put the ball on the ground and the punter kicked badly today. Those two problems are hopefully curable.

Our defense played well yes but with a decent pass rush it has the potential to be NASTY. Bottom line is its an area that has been neglected by the front office and we are seeing that now. We'll finish in the bottom 3rd of the league in sacks this year, we better pray that we dont get any more injuries to our secondary or opposing QB's are going to sit in the pocket and pick us apart.

^^ You do realize Bulger threw up a prayer to Avery, who made a great play on the ball there, to win the game, right?

I agree, although, I am a firm believer that we need to get more production from the defensive line in the pressure department. Avery made a great play and I believe the guys from the Post Game show stated that someone on the defense forgot to blitz and rush the QB on that play. Griffin was getting held badly on more than one occasion also. I would have rather us gotten Stroud instead of Taylor though in hindsight. The guy is a shell of his former self right now and I thought the combination of Carter and Taylor would be devastating. Pace was a wall though as usual.

The prevent defense is only gona' take you so far.

Sooner or later, you run across a top QB who exploits it, a top class wideout who beats the coverage, then the O's playing off the back foot and trying to force things, and bad things escalate from there.

It's hard to criticise the D this year. There playing darn good ball in the main. But how frightening a unit would they be with the added dimension of serious preasure on the opposing QB at the point of attack? To say a "pass rush" isn't needed and "sacks don't count" is a tad naive. How badly was JC's rythm disrupted yesterday for example by the preasure on him? How different is a third and short after you've knocked down a pass, compared to a third and long with the additional yards of a sack? Not saying we should all out blitz like Greg tended to do on most every play he could, but we could do with that final piece of adding consisitent preasure in the face of the QB, besides dropping deep and taking away the passing lines.

Jason Taylor was a positive move in the short term as far as personel to address this from the FO. Hopefully, future drafts will finally see us fix a position we've neglected for WAY too long.

Hail.

Only on ES are sacks devalued to the point to where it's looked at as a bad thing.

Sacks are drive killers. Don't believe me? Look at our offense yesterday and what Leonard Little did to it.

All this BS about sacks are not that important is just another rationalization by some members here to justify the front office's lack of competence when it comes to drafting dlinemen.

Very well said. :notworthy

^^ You do realize Bulger threw up a prayer to Avery, who made a great play on the ball there, to win the game, right?

It was a throw that no QB should make... but he was desperate and it worked out.

Why was it a throw that no QB should make? It looked to me like it was one-on-one coverage. Nearly every QB would launch the ball in that situation if they have even a shred of confidence in their deep threat.

Comes down to our drafting. It really does....Kelly, Thomas, Davis. Are you kidding me????? We are not drafting for the lines....

Where were those guys yesterday...yes...I saw Thomas....yes I saw Davis..but what did they do against a horrible no account Rams team? Nothing! Oh...and Kelly....what a bust...already broken down and he is a rookie:doh:

Very well said. :notworthy

Actually, it's stupid... Why complain about something that isn't costing you games? Our team lost two games because they either couldn't put together offensive drives, fumbled the ball, and continuously lost the battle for field position.

Most of you guys are so committed to your pass rush arguments from the past that you can't objectively look at our performance and see what our real problems are.

BTW, our best pass rusher has been injured most of this season... We've played 5 of the best offenses in the league this year... The 6 teams we've played have been sacked 56 times in 33 games (1.69 sacks/game). In the 27 games we weren't involved in they were 48 sacks in 27 games (1.77 sacks/game). Our opponents have given up 8 hundredths of a sack more in games we haven't played them! Wow... What a difference that would've made to the outcome if we could've just had 8 hundredths of a sack more! Nevermind the fact that we've controlled the time of possession in every game we've played except the first.

This isn't a big deal considering who we have played and how we have done on defense.

If you know a little something about football, you'd have seen how we played gap discipline even on passing downs against the Rams. Why? Because they would set up draws and delays to Steven Jackson when they were in three and four wide sets. We didn't have a chance to pin our ears back b/c they kept us honest. When we did pin our ears back on obvious passing situations, we got pressure and sacks. We also missed opportunities for sacks and INT's.

I think the whole "we don't get enough pressure" is a bunch of b.s. b/c most of you guys/gals don't fully understand Blache's concepts. No offense, I'm not claiming to know Blache's strategies from week to week, but some of you just don't consider all of the basic concepts of his D. Blache is a different kind of coordinator, and he is not going to call games like Monty or Jim Johnson and risk the big play by blitzing a bunch. He doesn't feel like we need to blitz a ton. I agree.

Ironic that some of you are pointing out our strongest unit (The D) on this team and posing it as a weakness. Our D line is a beast against the run and happens to get adequate pressure to boot....without Jason Taylor BTW. His ass needs to sit until after the bye week. He's not healthy. :2cents:

Archived