Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Get a New Punter! Who's available??? (Merged--MET)

WizSkinsO's

Here's Brooks this game:

11:48 1st Was 4th & 4 at Was47 Durant Brooks punts 50 yards to StL3, Center-Ethan Albright. Downed

8:40 1st Was 4th & 13 at Was19 Durant Brooks punts 43 yards to StL38, Center-Ethan Albright. Downed

3:49 2nd Was 4th & 2 at Was48 Durant Brooks punts 35 yards to StL17, Center-Ethan Albright. Downed

6:11 3rd Was 4th & 4 at Was39 Durant Brooks punts 51 yards to StL10, Center-Ethan Albright. Dante Hall returns to StL44 for 34 yards

2:38 3rd Was 4th & 12 at Was7 Durant Brooks punts 26 yards to Was33, Center-Ethan Albright. Out of Bounds

Brooks punted well most of this game. I blame the long punt return in the 3rd on the coverage team. His last punt cost us a field goal, though. Looking at the play by play, I'd still take Brooks over Frost. I just wonder where that punter we drafted from GT is.

I don't even know what to think. I rooted for this guy so hard during preseason because I wanted Frost gone. I even stuck up for Brooks so far this season, but his performance today was completely inexcusable.

He sucks, and this is my crow eating post for supporting him.

My thoughts exactly.

At this point I'm turning the corner on Danny Smith. His personnel decisions. His lack of punting game in either direction. His choice to depend on a punter (especially rookie) instead of an extra QB or ARE to hold. Choosing ARE as a return man when he has underperformed for over a year there. Choosing ARE as a returner when he is our indispensable #2 WR because the young guys can't tie their cleats with written instructions, adult supervision and Dr. John Hopkins. Picking Brooks. His complete lack of ability to establish any kind of punt blocking. Always sends 5 or 6 to block a punt instead of return block, but we never block one. Allowing 3 PR TD's even if Brooks does suck. Which he does with the horsepower of an aircraft carrier or small black hole.

Maybe Vinny has had final say on Brooks. Looks like that's maybe true and Frost was right. But Brooks is only the most easily visible of Smith's failures. Our ST consists of Rock, only because he is tough enough to brave out some straight ahead yards, and Swishy's average leg. Every thing else is just personal hustle by DB's & Thrash. Danny hasn't done crap in years. And we are getting worse.

I'm thinking maybe Danny is the problem. If things don't go better soon, I expect him gone next year.

You'd rather have Frost? Just saying. At this point I'd say Brooks = Frost. Kicks great when he's in a competition and then stinks up the joint after he's won the job. He's a rook so I'm still holding out hope that he comes around.

I would love to see the kid progress, as I do all Redskins. But at least Frost can tackle and doesn't run like a girl!

I would love a great punter. I was a defender of Brooks, but there shouldn't be a drop off in production for a punter in between college and pros.

I think one of the problems is, who do we get that is better? I think that is a serious problem right now. Not to many guys out there.

We need to do something, but what????

Here's Brooks this game:

11:48 1st Was 4th & 4 at Was47 Durant Brooks punts 50 yards to StL3, Center-Ethan Albright. Downed

8:40 1st Was 4th & 13 at Was19 Durant Brooks punts 43 yards to StL38, Center-Ethan Albright. Downed

3:49 2nd Was 4th & 2 at Was48 Durant Brooks punts 35 yards to StL17, Center-Ethan Albright. Downed

6:11 3rd Was 4th & 4 at Was39 Durant Brooks punts 51 yards to StL10, Center-Ethan Albright. Dante Hall returns to StL44 for 34 yards

2:38 3rd Was 4th & 12 at Was7 Durant Brooks punts 26 yards to Was33, Center-Ethan Albright. Out of Bounds

Brooks punted well most of this game. I blame the long punt return in the 3rd on the coverage team. His last punt cost us a field goal, though. Looking at the play by play, I'd still take Brooks over Frost. I just wonder where that punter we drafted from GT is.

You do realize that Brooks' first two punts were very short too, but had a fortunate bounce for 15 yards. That's why the announcer said that his punts will look great on paper net yardage wise, but they were some ugly punts.

The only good punt Brooks had was the first one in the 3rd quarter. That is it.

You do realize that Brooks' first two punts were very short too, but had a fortunate bounce for 15 yards. That's why the announcer said that his punts will look great on paper net yardage wise, but they were some ugly punts.

The only good punt Brooks had was the first one in the 3rd quarter. That is it.

Yeah, while looking over the recap I got overly enthusiastic about the stats.

At this point I'm turning the corner on Danny Smith. His personnel decisions. His lack of punting game in either direction. His choice to depend on a punter (especially rookie) instead of an extra QB or ARE to hold. Choosing ARE as a return man when he has underperformed for over a year there. Choosing ARE as a returner when he is our indispensable #2 WR because the young guys can't tie their cleats with written instructions, adult supervision and Dr. John Hopkins. Picking Brooks. His complete lack of ability to establish any kind of punt blocking. Always sends 5 or 6 to block a punt instead of return block, but we never block one. Allowing 3 PR TD's even if Brooks does suck. Which he does with the horsepower of an aircraft carrier or small black hole.

Maybe Vinny has had final say on Brooks. Looks like that's maybe true and Frost was right. But Brooks is only the most easily visible of Smith's failures. Our ST consists of Rock, only because he is tough enough to brave out some straight ahead yards, and Swishy's average leg. Every thing else is just personal hustle by DB's & Thrash. Danny hasn't done crap in years. And we are getting worse.

I'm thinking maybe Danny is the problem. If things don't go better soon, I expect him gone next year.

I'm also seriously starting to think about Danny Smith. Even during our past years, we've had numerous problems with special teams. The only things in the past 4.5 years that we've been good at was kickoff coverage.

We've all known how much trouble we've had with the kicking game and the punting games in the past. And now we have trouble with punt coverage as well.

The only kind of block I remember under Danny Smith in the past 4 years is the FG block against the Cowboys in 2006 with Sean Taylor.

I find myself wishing terrible things for him, what a freaking bum. Seriously, punt the ball, thats your ONLY JOB. you get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for it. I'm about to go practice punting, I used to be able to punt a soccer ball about 80 yards with pretty good accuracy, I'm pretty sure i could beat that piece of junk.

I actually think you may be right. Our special teams have been miserable lately. ARE cannot do anything without any kind of protection. Its hard to run straight ahead when the other team is there by the time you catch the ball. I also think a better ST's coach could definitely fine tune our punter.

Archived