Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biggest Redskins Concerns????

Thinking Skins

I'm just curious about what people's biggest concerns are for the Redskins 5 games into the season. I'll list a few of mine:

(7) Will our rookies ever have anything more than a minor contribution to the games?

(8) How long will our main-stays stay injury free?

(7)

I'm not concerned about the rookie contributions, because i think the Skins will be fine without them. But, i don't see them having an opportunity to contribute unless a starter gets hurt or Zorn opens up the playbook a little more.

(8)

I have to admit that I worry about LaRon Landry20080603-023134-pic-447931900.jpg getting hurt. Its my one semi-irrational concern. Why worry about something as random as an injury to one player? Because our entire defense is predicated on his ability to be the lone center-field safety. I don't remember the Skins or another team playing this much Cover 1. Without Landry back there i speculate that Blache would have to go to 2 deep safeties which would move our SS out of the 'box' and hurt out ability to stop the run.

My #(1) concern: IMHO the Skins rely too heavily on the short WCO passing game and need to mix in more of the intermediate and deep WCO routes. What happens when a defense squats on the short WCO passing game? A team like Tampa Bay that sits in Cover 2 or a team like the G-men that use zone-blitz to bring pressure while covering the hot read or short options?

-I think Campbell/Zorn need to throw more deeper passes like the 15 yard pass to Devin Thomas. Here are the pass attempts over 11 yards for: Schaub~36, Farve~38, Griese~35 (in only 4 games), McNabb~51, Rodgers~39, Cutler~60, Hasselbeck~45

*Campbell/Zorn have the fewest pass attempts over 11 yards with 27. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...?playerId=8440 *stats are from the 'Splits:BY PASS PLAY'

2698346596_780b4d6124.jpg?v=0

Sooner or later we gotta open it open yeah?

:2cents:

You guys worry too much!

Seriously, the one big worry is how stupid our fanbase is that they will make a bunch of noise when the O is working. Maybe Kendall's words will spread. Maybe winning will get people back into things and save their voices to frustrate the opposing defense.

(11) is my biggest concern. Not that we can't handle winning or win big games, but that we overlook certain lesser opponents because of the big wins he have had.

I agree, this is my concern also. Our next 2 games are against teams we should beat, especially at home. If our team comes out flat or complacent it may be a struggle to win those games.

My big concern used to be injury... but Skins have amazing depth now ... even if Campbell goes down ... Z brings in Colt and the team keeps winning .... why? Because Zorn has installed a winning "system"... that does not depend on individual stars.

:rolleyes:

It's posts like these that help me better understand crack addiction.

My #1 concern right now is our lack of a truly scary pass rush. Granted, we just played two of the hardest quarterbacks to sack, but I want to see more pressure.

Yes agreed. I'd also agree with a previous poster on the lack of converting redzone's visits into TDs. We need to start incorporating the younger guys with fades and whatnot when we get in the redzone. Other main concerns up to this point are: health/depth at certain positions, over-confidence, and not being able to put teams away. We absolutely have to start putting games away in the third quarter. We could easily be 2-2 right now. We usually play well within the division so these next three games should reveal what we're truly made of and capable of.

True, but we can't rely on the refs to stop that. We gotta stop it

Why the hell not? We had two guys in position to make the play and they were taken out with clear blocks in the back? The call was even made and then the guy lost his hairy beanbags and picked up the flag. If the opponent is allowed to block like that on every punt return we are going to give up a ton of returns this year.

Two concerns I have:

1 - Leaving too many points on the field. Wether it be from penalties taking points off the board, or just our inability to keep drives alive and settling for FGs. Granted, it could be worse; We could be coming away with nothing. I would just prefer more TDs come out of these drives that look so good and then stall out.

2 - Pass rush. We get no pressure on the QBs unless they hold on to the ball forever. I HOPE that Jason Taylor, when he returns, will help us out in this area. My concern is not really on the edge as much as it is in the middle. There just is not a good push from our NT/DT.

All things being said, this "concerns" have not been associated with us losing. Just something I see as possible problem areas in games that we will need to win later in the year.

So what if the Redskins are able to put up 5 or so sacks per game in the next 3 games? Would that "solve" our lack of a pass rush problem?

It's not necessarily the sacks. Where's the pressure on the qb? Make them need to decide faster. Make them scramble. The ends aren't the problem in that regard, in my opinion. The tackles aren't getting any push up the middle, and this allows the qbs to simply step up in the pocket to avoid the ends.

It's not necessarily the sacks. Where's the pressure on the qb? Make them need to decide faster. Make them scramble. The ends aren't the problem in that regard, in my opinion. The tackles aren't getting any push up the middle, and this allows the qbs to simply step up in the pocket to avoid the ends.

Well replace sacks with pressure. If we have great showings in the next three games, will that help at all?

I think part of the lack of pressure is that we were going against some of the best offenses in the league, and lines that allow few sacks. So knowing this, I think Blache planned to beat them without a consistent pressure - although we were able to get pressure at critical times, like the pick by Rogers.

the Redskins need to come out in this game and show the kind of lockdown 100% effort that the Eagles and Giants performed when beating the Rams.

the one advantage this team has is veteran leadership. Portis, Moss, Samuels, Griffin, Springs, Fletcher, Thomas, etc.

Gibbs acquired some hard nosed football players and I think they will help the younger guys keep things in perspective.

Well replace sacks with pressure. If we have great showings in the next three games, will that help at all?

I think part of the lack of pressure is that we were going against some of the best offenses in the league, and lines that allow few sacks. So knowing this, I think Blache planned to beat them without a consistent pressure - although we were able to get pressure at critical times, like the pick by Rogers.

Think of how much better the D would be if the qbs had to throw faster? The secondary is playing lights out, but if they didn't have to cover for even a couple seconds less, the opponents' receivers would have a much harder time getting open, and the qb might try to make throws that he shouldn't be making.

My only real concern was during the Cowboys game. We scored 4 field goals that should have been TD's. I was afraid that would cause us to lose them game. Anyways, just trying to play a little devil's advocate with your concerns.

(1) Will there be any disruptive player v player position battles?

This shouldn't be a concern, just shows we have depth in different positions. It's actually a good thing.

(2) Will Zorn always be this gutsy?

I'd rather be aggressive than be conservative. Look at the aggressive play by the G-men last year to take the championship.

(3) How will we handle being down big?

Being down by 14 to a division rival on the road is considered "big".

(4) How will we handle a losing streak?

Let's hope we never get there.

(5) Will we ever put 30 points in the board?

Who cares, as long as we win

(6) Will we ever be in a game that doesn't come down to the final few minutes?

Have you watched the last 4 games? Kneeling on the ball the last 2 minutes is how you want to win a game. That is how we have won the last 4 games. Not really sure what else you are looking for? A blowout against the number 2, 3, 4, and 6 offenses in the NFL is unlikely...kneeing the last 2 minutes is a godsend.

(7) Will our rookies ever have anything more than a minor contribution to the games?

Again, have you watched the games? How is 2 turnovers by one player in one game a "minor contribution"?

Doesn't matter, we are showing depth.

(9) How will our running game do with Heyer back in there?

Doesn't matter, CP is showing that he runs best behind Samuels.

(10) How will our passing game do with Jansen in there?

Jansen has been playing.

(11) Will winning become a distraction on this team?

I'd rather winning become a distraction than losing.

There was no pressure when Carlos Rogers got a pick.

WTF are you watching?

Seriously, WTF is wrong with you?

My only real concern was during the Cowboys game. We scored 4 field goals that should have been TD's. I was afraid that would cause us to lose them game. Anyways, just trying to play a little devil's advocate with your concerns.

(1) Will there be any disruptive player v player position battles?

This shouldn't be a concern, just shows we have depth in different positions. It's actually a good thing.

(2) Will Zorn always be this gutsy?

I'd rather be aggressive than be conservative. Look at the aggressive play by the G-men last year to take the championship.

(3) How will we handle being down big?

Being down by 14 to a division rival on the road is considered "big".

(4) How will we handle a losing streak?

Let's hope we never get there.

(5) Will we ever put 30 points in the board?

Who cares, as long as we win

(6) Will we ever be in a game that doesn't come down to the final few minutes?

Have you watched the last 4 games? Kneeling on the ball the last 2 minutes is how you want to win a game. That is how we have won the last 4 games. Not really sure what else you are looking for? A blowout against the number 2, 3, 4, and 6 offenses in the NFL is unlikely...kneeing the last 2 minutes is a godsend.

Again, have you watched the games? How is 2 turnovers by one player in one game a "minor contribution"?

Doesn't matter, we are showing depth.

(9) How will our running game do with Heyer back in there?

Doesn't matter, CP is showing that he runs best behind Samuels.

(10) How will our passing game do with Jansen in there?

Jansen has been playing.

(11) Will winning become a distraction on this team?

I'd rather winning become a distraction than losing.

Nice responses! 3,5,6,7,8,

Archived