Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eli Manning: AKA The Comeback Kid

KiwiSupaFlyNuka

New York Giants' Eli Manning is at his best at the end of the game

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger Saturday October 04, 2008, 6:16 PM

medium_elidrive.jpgRich Kane/US PresswireWhen time is running short and the Giants need a score, Eli Manning knows how to lead the way to victory.

When Amani Toomer thinks about the most amazing plays Eli Manning has made in his five-year NFL career, he realizes they've all come while he's running the hurry-up offense.

A pirouette away from a rusher before hitting Plaxico Burress for a 28-yard pass against the Cowboys in 2005.

A pivot and reverse across the field on a third-down scramble and completion for a first down the following week against the Broncos.

The left-handed throw against the Rams in Week 2 this year.

Oh, and that little escape on the pass to David Tyree and his helmet in Super Bowl XLII.

"That's when he makes those kinds of plays," Toomer said the other day. "I don't know why. I just know you can never count him out."

Not even when Manning and the Giants offense are sputtering through a game and are given one last chance to tie it or take the lead. In fact, that's often when Manning is at his best, as he was in the Giants' last game -- an overtime victory against the Bengals two weeks ago. Manning's touchdown to Kevin Boss that briefly gave the Giants the lead in the fourth quarter marked the 10th time in his NFL career he's been successful on a drive that began with less than five minutes to play and with the Giants trailing by one score or less.

The first time Manning led the Giants to a score that tied the game or took the lead was the 2004 season-ending victory over the Cowboys. Since that game, Manning has failed only two times in similar spots -- against the Colts and Eagles in 2006 when he was intercepted both times.

"He's one of the best -- if not the best -- over the past few years," Tyree said. "It's something that's very well rehearsed and coached here in all those situations. But he's taken it to the next level as far as confidence, urgency and getting guys on the same page."

When talking about the greatest comeback quarterbacks ever (Joe Montana, John Elway, etc.), one often suggests those players are born with the ability to perform in such situations and that what they do can't be taught. It would seem the case would be the same with Manning -- that he's been leading comeback drives since he, Cooper and Peyton were playing in the backyard as kids.

But Manning's late-game heroics appear to be something he has developed at the NFL level. During his three-year college career, Manning was 1-for-5 when getting the ball with under five minutes to play and down only one score. The results: three interceptions (one by former LSU star turned Giants corner Corey Webster), one turnover on downs and one touchdown drive to beat Alabama during his sophomore season.

"When I watched the Super Bowl and a couple of other games the past few years, I've been like, 'Wow, check out Eli.' I mean, we hadn't seen anything like that," said newly signed Giants wide receiver Taye Biddle, Manning's teammate at Ole Miss from 2002-03. "It's not that we didn't have any faith in him; we always did.

"But now, it's expected of him."

So much so that the Giants didn't spend much time on their hurry-up offense during their bye week, when they focus on certain situations.

"It wasn't something we've really struggled in," Manning said. "You still work on everything, look at the plays we've run and make sure we're not showing too many tendencies. But yeah, (during the bye) we like to work on the things we haven't done as well."

Manning's teammates said there are several reasons why he's so successful in the two-minute drill (which often includes drives that begin outside of two minutes). Tyree said Manning's command of the offense, which has developed since three failed drives in his rookie season, is a big factor.

"He's able to direct guys as he's gotten comfortable with the system," Tyree said. "He's more confident in protections and pulling things out so that we can be on the same page. There's not a guy he can't account for at a moment's notice, and that's all you have in those situations."

Manning can also account for the plays run in those situations, which are the ones he said he knows "by heart." And then, of course, there's his noted easygoing demeanor.

"Everything speeds up, and you know the defense is going to bring pressure, so you have to be seeing these things. You need to calm yourself down enough to analyze what you're seeing, and he does that better than anybody," Boss said. "In his eyes, you can just see it. You can tell he's in control and confident.

"Usually, it's the O-line that's yelling and saying, 'Let's go.' He just comes in and makes the play call."

The faith Manning's teammates have in him helps everyone stay relaxed. That faith continues to grow with each successful drive.

"His success helps us out with our confidence," Toomer said. "People know if they do their job we'll be successful."

Boss said the offense truly started to believe in Manning's two-minute magic after he led a touchdown drive at the end of the first half against the Cowboys in January's divisional playoff game. It's one of nine scoring drives inside the final two minutes of the first half since Week 6 of last season. In that span, when the Giants have made an honest effort to score, they've failed only three times.

"He's just as good right before halftime," Tyree said, "which can sometimes have as much an effect as the end of games." Many have asked what appears to be a simple question: Why not run the two-minute offense all game long? First of all, the defense doesn't allow it. And, as Manning noted, "When you need it, maybe you've worn it out and the defense has adjusted. We kind of say, 'We have the two-minute when we need it and it's going to be there for us.'"

Naturally, Manning refused to take all of the credit for the reliability of the hurry-up offense.

"It seems like someone always makes a big play," he said. "There's always a fourth-down conversion or a great catch on third down. There's always a big play that happens, that really sparks it. ... It's a team; it's not only one person."

Not even the one person that matters most -- the slow-footed, often-inconsistent quarterback who becomes nimble and clutch in those spots?

"He turns it on when you need him to," Boss said. "I don't know what it is, but that's when he's at his best."

Well, let's hope he doesn't have to do it tomorrow against Seattle without Burress. I am hoping the Giants can pound their three RB's down the Seahawks' throats.

Engram and Branch will be back for the first time so the Seahawks are back to full strength. Make no mistake, this is going to be a dogfight. I do not want Eli to have to try and drive them down at the end to win without Plax.

Goober is still the same dumbass, heave it in the air under pressure, and hope for the best QB that he's always been.

He's just had most of his recent prayers answered positively. Like the two interceptions in the Super Bowl, DROPPED by the Cheaters.

He must cringe every time he has to take a dump. Fearful that the horseshoe up his ass will finally fall out.

Oh, BTW, Goober and the guys should handle Seattle at home quite easily.

That's nothing new. He's surpassed both in comebacks in comparable points of their career.

One of the main reasons why Ernie Accorsi pushed for Eli as much as he did.

Just for the record, are you saying Eli is a HOF QB, and should be mentioned in the same sentence as Elway and Montana?

Just for the record, are you saying Eli is a HOF QB, and should be mentioned in the same sentence as Elway and Montana?

Are you implying that the referenced point (One of the best clutch Qb's) simultaneously makes Eli a HOF Qb in his 4th year starting?

As far as Elway/Montana, I just stated a factual point. The fact that Montana and Elway are HOF quarterbacks doesn't make it not true.

Are you implying that the referenced point (One of the best clutch Qb's) simultaneously makes Eli a HOF Qb in his 4th year starting?

As far as Elway/Montana, I just stated a factual point. The fact that Montana and Elway are HOF quarterbacks doesn't make it not true.

No, you just didn't bother to state specifically. You "implied" that he was. I simply asked for clarification.

Why bring up a factual point concerning two HOF QB's at all if not to compare.

Campbell throws 16 more consective passes he breaks the all-time redskins record for consective passes thrown without an interception. Does that mean he is the best Redskin QB? No, but no need to bring it up unless I thought he should be considered for that title.

No, you just didn't bother to state specifically. You "implied" that he was. I simply asked for clarification.

Why bring up a factual point concerning two HOF QB's at all if not to compare.

This is what I posted -

That's nothing new. He's surpassed both in comebacks in comparable points of their career. FACT

One of the main reasons why Ernie Accorsi pushed for Eli as much as he did.

How does this imply that Eli is a HOF Qb?

Campbell throws 16 more consective passes he breaks the all-time redskins record for consective passes thrown without an interception. Does that mean he is the best Redskin QB? No, but no need to bring it up unless I thought he should be considered for that title.

That whole Campbell analogy makes no sense considering he hasn't done it yet.

Not to mention it would only be a Redskins record, not an NFL record. Hardly impressive.

That whole Campbell analogy makes no sense considering he hasn't done it yet.

Not to mention it would only be a Redskins record, not an NFL record. Hardly impressive.

Because you didn't provide all the needed information I made the implication. Simply, you wrote what you thought in your head. You need to assume people can't read your mind.

Campbell did break the team record, so does that mean he is the best QB in skins history?

Answer, no. And the analogy had nothing to do with the record itself. No where did I say NFL record. I clearly stated Redskins record, and clearly stated best Redskins QB.

I guess your inability to get your point out also follows you into what you read.

Archived