Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Great Win! Now lets come back to earth.

GoodOnPaper

Beating Dallas this past weekend was one of the best wins I've ever seen this team make happen. The coaching was great and the players executed. We flat out beat the Cowboys far better than what the score suggests. This team is good; and can become great but lets not get too carried away just yet. Even though beating Dallas at home is almost like a national holiday around here.

There were just a few things in the game that somewhat worried me. When TO caught his TD pass it bothered me that Landry was completely inactive in trying to tackle TO and keep him out of the endzone while another defender tried desperately to bring him down. Landry was maybe a yard away and did nothing. I don't know if he wasn't there mentally on that play, but regardless, he needs to react in situations like that. Don't get me wrong, Landry is a great player but stuff like that kills me.

Second, without Taylor our pass rush is completely mediocre. It just is. However, our secondary made up for that as we all saw. Still, it is troubling that we can't apply pressure without him. Especially if Taylor catches the injury bug a few more times this year; teams will exploit that. Romo sits to pee had time mostly all game to do as he pleased. Luckily for us Springs was all over TO.

Hubris is a deadly thing and I just want to make sure we as fans, and our team, keep that stuff away from them. If we can stay hungry and not satisfied, I think we have a very good chance at securing the division and ultimately becoming contenders. But there's a lot of football left to be played and we certainly can't sleep on the Eagles or any other team in this division, or in the NFL for that matter.

:eaglesuck:dallasuck:gaintsuck

Regarding our lack of pass rush; to be fair, they're one of the best Olines in the league.

You're right about that. Furthermore, they were getting pressure all day long, it's just that none of it actually translated into the sack column. Romo sits to pee was flushed out plenty of times and had to make throws on the run constantly.

No one is getting carried away simply enjoying a win.....

You are dead wrong on lack of pass rush; except for the drive to end the first half and open the second our D-Line kept constant pressure on Romo sits to pee...no sacks but he was hit several times and steadily had O-Lineman backing into him....

Watch the game

There were just a few things in the game that somewhat worried me. When TO caught his TD pass it bothered me that Landry was completely inactive in trying to tackle TO and keep him out of the endzone while another defender tried desperately to bring him down. Landry was maybe a yard away and did nothing. I don't know if he wasn't there mentally on that play, but regardless, he needs to react in situations like that. Don't get me wrong, Landry is a great player but stuff like that kills me.

i see how you could think that, based on the main camera angle, but the goal line camera tells the real story. i posted this in another thread:

2:26 into this video, tell me what he is doing..

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80b33912

again, i'm quite sure i'm right on this:

he was lining up to tackle TO, then Springs hit TO from behind, which knocked TO forward (out of LL's path) and into the endzone. when they showed the view from the goal line camera, that was pretty clear.

as i said, it's more clear from the other camera angle. because of the camera angle you see in that video, TO is running directly away from the camera (so, because of the lack of depth perception on TV, you can't judge his velocity). when he got hit from behind by Shawn Springs, he was knocked forward very suddenly, which is why Landry put on the brakes; had he followed through with the hit, he would've decked Springs, not TO. if Springs had not hit TO, Landry would have. if Landry had hit TO instead of Springs, he would've been hit sideways, not forward, and it wouldn't have been a touchdown.

again, i'm NOT faulting Springs for tackling TO, but it IS the reason that Landry appeared to "give up" on that play.

and, if you think i'm wrong, ask yourself this question: which of these two scenarios is more likely correct?

1) That Landry was trying to tackle TO, but TO was knocked out of the way, or

2) That Landry didn't try to tackle TO.

anyone who has seen Landry play knows that he would NEVER pass up an opportunity to hit a receiver. hell, even if there isn't an opportunity (incomplete pass, out of bounds, etc.) he'll sometimes hit them anyway and pick up a penalty!

Just as a note, Tony Romo sits to pee has only been sacked 3 times all year, all by Green Bay. The league leader in sacks, Philadelphia, couldn't manage to get to him.

This is a combination of a good offensive line and the fact that Romo sits to pee is very good at getting himself out of trouble. He proved that in that last drive in the first half, where a few Redskins had him dead to rights and somehow was able to find a receiver to throw to.

Certainly, we weren't perfect on Sunday. The short kickoff was questionable. We still made too many mistakes, which a team like the Cowboys doesn't let a team get away from lightly. But, the team has made a lot of progress and is likely to continue that progress.

Jason

As a professional, you never want to get carried away by one win. If they are true professionals then they are thinking about the Eagles next week.

Our pass rush is weak simply because we dont have JT out there, and we arent blitzing. We are just bringing 4(or 3 in some cases), and dropping the rest into coverage. It also would be helpful for our defense to just ONCE play a team that isnt top 5 in the NFL in offense. For a defense to hold up and play so well playing the Giants, Cowboys, Cardinals and Saints is impressive. Wait until they get a hold of a bad offense.

It's not always about sacks so much as it is about pressure. Romo sits to pee was uncomfortable in the game and he threw earlier than he wanted.

I'd want some sacks in there but I'll settle with whatever wins us the game.

This is very true. Keep in mind that Romo sits to pee had more time agianst Philly than he did agaisnt us many times, and Philly dropped 9 sacks on Pittsburg. Which happens to be a pretty good team.

We cant even think aobut sleeping on Philly however. They are going to be desperate for a win, and will have Westbrook back for the game. They will be a much better team than the one we saw on Monday night. We come in a little flat, we'll get our head handed to us on a silver platter.

I feel you man. I know there are things that we still need to work on and it worries me that fans will start predicting Super Bowl. But WE BEAT DALLAS in Dallas. There is much reason for excitemnt. It still hasnt sunk in for me yet b/c everyone except the die hard fans on this site said beating the Cowboys was impossible. Damn this feels good!!

As fans, we can enjoy this for the rest of the season if we want. Whats important is that the players regroup starting tonight/tomorrow morning and get ready for a brawl in Philly. Philly is going to come hard - real f'n hard. They do not want to fall to 2-3 and more importantly, 0-2 in the division.

We beat Philly and we'll be in unbelievable shape. But make no mistake about it - its going to be 2x as hard to beat Philly than Dallas.

Hubris? Yeah, save the English 101 lessons for another day. BTW, we did have a pass rush yesterday when we rushed 4 or 5. Who gets a pass rush with only 3 down linemen rushing? I can't answer that either.

Tony Romo sits to pee gets rid of the ball on time, so we didn't get the 4 or 5 sacks that we could have had. Landry didn't want to knock his own man out. Give it a rest! The Redskins are a good team...deal with it!

HTTR

Archived