Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BREAKING NEWS: John McCain will attend debate, AP reports

Cooked Crack

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Would the witness please clarify as to whether he believes that "making a joint statement" is "ignoring it all."

I'm not trying to play a game here, and I wish you would just bust out your magic bullet link, because I know you well enough to know that you can support whatever you say -- whether I agree or not.

What does a joint statement accomplish? Is it worth 700 bill? Other than being a happy-funtime gesture, did it fix anything? Could that time have been better spent?

Like I said, a joint statement would help during a mental recession. But I don't think that's what this is.

*edit* In a word, "no." I don't believe a joint statement does anything about the problem.

The process seemed to have been moving forward until Mr. Bomber Pilot swooped in and injected presidential politics into this. I thought Obama was on top of this by staying in touch with Paulson, Bernanke, as well as Congressioanl leaders... and also by staying away from directly engaging in the process.

Look for Obama to tell McCain tonight that due to circumstances beyound one's control a presendetial candidate cannot suspend presidential politics less than 40 days before the election.

I'm not trying to play a game here, and I wish you would just bust out your magic bullet link, because I know you well enough to know that you can support whatever you say -- whether I agree or not.

What does a joint statement accomplish? Is it worth 700 bill? Other than being a happy-funtime gesture, did it fix anything? Could that time have been better spent?

Like I said, a joint statement would help during a mental recession. But I don't think that's what this is.

*edit* In a word, "no." I don't believe a joint statement does anything about the problem.

Joint statement at least lets us know where McCain stands on this. He's been silent on this and by accounts he was silent in the White House meeting. The only stand McCain has taken is in front of the camera.

Joint statement at least lets us know where McCain stands on this. He's been silent on this and by accounts he was silent in the White House meeting. The only stand McCain has taken is in front of the camera.

Oh, so it took a phone call from Obama to make McCain realize he had to do something.

Now THAT is comedy gold.

Oh, so it took a phone call from Obama to make McCain realize he had to do something.

Now THAT is comedy gold.

Must have because it took the McCain camp 6hrs to even remotely respond to Obama's phone call. What he realized what he had to was falsely suspend his campaign and be on a 22hr rush back to washington for his photo op and keep quiet.

Now thats comedy gold even Letterman thought so.

Well, I do have a link: http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2008/09/25/text-of-lawmakers-agreement-on-principles/

I do believe that agreeing on some joint principles is an important part of the process.

But I am also trying to play a little game here. I just want you to answer the question.

I'm not asking what you think about joint statements.

I just want to know if you think really think that Obama was ignoring the problem before Bush called him.

(Nah, far better to ignore it all until the current president invites you to come back and do your damn job.)
Is it your contention that everything Obama was doing before Bush's phone call was ignoring it all?

Remember this thread if Obama loses. :)

(Nah, don't worry. I'll remind you.)

:cheers:

If Obama loses that just means McCains little political stunt actually paid off and Palin didnt drown in the sea of reporters and people wanting real answers not just talking points over and over and over and over. Let me stop Im starting to catch Palin repeatitis.

Personally I dont want either one of them in office because they are Repubs and Dems. They are both full of it. I just feel Obama is more sincere in his bs. Where McCain doesnt know which bs to stay with.

I just want to know if you think really think that Obama was ignoring the problem before Bush called him. Is it your contention that everything Obama was doing before Bush's phone call was ignoring it all?

Make your point.

You know where I stand. And if you can teach me something, I'm willing to learn as usual.

"Ultimately, McCain tried to fulfill both of his responsibilities.

Obama, meanwhile, wanted to waste a whole day on making a joint statement. (Which, of course, would only be effective in combatting a *AHEM* "mental recession.") :)"

So, if McCain was so fired up to fulfill his responsibilities, why did he wait until yesterday to get involved? Heck, on Monday he was still spouting "The economy is fundamentally sound" line until he had to scramble to go into "crisis" mode that afternoon.

Besides, if he was such a hard worker, April wouldn't have been the last time he was in Washington. After all, this didn't just happen overnight. With Bear Stearns, Fannie and Freddie etc. getting bailed out, you'd think if face to face contact was so important that he'd at least have shown up ONCE during that time. :no: Nice try though.

As for the glasses, give purple a try. I find that generally gives the most realistic view of the world. ;)

Make your point.

You know where I stand. And if you can teach me something, I'm willing to learn as usual.

My point is that I want to know what your point is.

You said that Obama was ignoring the problem until Bush called him and invited him to Washington.

(Nah, far better to ignore it all until the current president invites you to come back and do your damn job.)
Several people called you on that statement, and you responded not by defending that statement but by calling us all partisan.

I just want to know whether you actually believe that Obama was ignoring the problem before Bush called him, or whether your statement was just a partisan exaggeration that wasn't meant to be taken as literal truth.

all hail obama!

has anyone not figured out what is really happening here? i havent been around much lately so excuse me if i am repeating previously made points...

has anyone ever figured out where the 700 billion is comming from?

yeah yeah yeah taxes......... bs........ this whole bail out will be nothing more than a way of spening more and more of the SS fund ..... thats right .... this whole bail out will be paid for on the credit of our SS.

remember just a few years back when bush wanted to screw up our SS system? well, he couldnt get it done and what we are looking out now is nothing more than another hack job aimed at destroying the future credibility of our next president. president obama.

as i said this whole thing is going to be hedged against our SS and then obama is going to HAVE TO reform the SS system and therefore will be made out to be the bad guy.

i personally believe that this is a a manufactured crisis...... i personally say let these greedy institutions fail..... yup .... damaging our economy and all. im not going to sweat it because, "a country boy can survive"......... i wont be going hungry and all the city folk that think going to the park is a step into the outdoors are going to suffer....

i dont feel a bit sorry about those that took out home loans they knew they couldnt afford. my mom even did it and somehow by the grace of god she was able to refinance about 3 monthes ago after she was already into foreclosure proceedings.

this latest political attempt by mccain has back fired and i cant believe the gall of Bush to call obama to washington. typical republicans crap..... in a dem senate and house..... obama shouldnt necessarily have to be there because one dem vote shouldnt make a difference.

i am glad the debate will be going on as planned and in a couple of hours i will be heading to oxford for all the rallies!!!

i just think that had mccain decided to not be there ........ the palin should have been there in his place..... i mean hey ...... after all..... if mccain passes she would become president wouldnt she? so she would be as good in the debate as mccain because they should both have the same agendas etc.

to me that is another major difference..... biden COULD by all accounts debate mccain and have a chance where as i dont think palin would against obama.....

anyway i cant wait til tonite.

OBAMA '08

My point is that I want to know what your point is.

You said that Obama was ignoring the problem until Bush called him and invited him to Washington. Several people called you on that statement, and you responded not by defending that statement but by calling us all partisan.

I just want to know whether you actually believe that Obama was ignoring the problem before Bush called him, or whether your statement was just a partisan exaggeration that wasn't meant to be taken as literal truth.

I didn't call anyone partisan because of that statement. Not in the slightest. I DID say I would gladly bump this thread if Obama lost, because it's full of ridiculous pot shots that have nothing to do with what I posted.

As for the question in question, I don't know what else you want to hear. I answered it again, and edited last time to use the yes/no answer I thought you were looking for. I don't know what else to do.

Damn McCain either way, and proclaim Obama infallable if you will. Ultimately, McCain tried to fulfill both of his responsibilities.

No, McCain tried to use one of his responsibilities (the one he'd been ignoring for a week) as an excuse to dodge the other one.

Obama, meanwhile, wanted to waste a whole day on making a joint statement. (Which, of course, would only be effective in combatting a *AHEM* "mental recession.") :)

:secret:Obama is capable of making a statement without spending an entire day doing so. :)

:secret:Obama is capable of making a statement without spending an entire day doing so. :)

Well thank God!

With such a penchant for bipartisan efforts, he's got this bailout bill fixed by now right? I mean, if he can immediately issue a statement with someone his polar political opposite, a simple bill (his actual job) should be cake, right?

Archived