Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rocky M., Smoot and Evans

NorthEast Skin

Gotta give a lot of credit to Horton...I actually like Doughty, but I'm not sure he makes all those plays.

But you're right to point out the guys who won't show up as brightly in the stat column. Rocky Mac made the great strip, Smoot made the nice tip on the first INT (I guess had to make one nice play), and Evans made the heads-up deflection on the last pass.

All were great plays, but I don't think you have to take credit AWAY from Horton to acknowledge those guys...plenty of credit to go around in a great win.

Smoot was benched, or did you not notice Torrence in there?

Turnovers are never, ever just one person's contribution. However, he made heads up plays, and that's the only way to get a turnover. You don't get picks without pressure, you don't get fumbles without someone knocking the ball out. That doesn't take anything away from what Horton did, and he deserves the credit that he's getting.

Yea, I'd be the first to give all those credit for their heads up plays. But they would have just been deflections and a strip if Horton wasn't there to finish the play off.In all honesty, our entire defense was awesome today. We only had 2 or 3 sacks I believe, but we were consistently in Brees' face. Our secondary held tight coverage as well. Up and down, our D played great. No ST TD for Bush, and we make our field goals, and this game was not even close. We did a really good job on a good offense. Also, you can't rain on Horton's parade. That was a rookie making his first start at safety. That's tough for a guy in Week 2 of the season. He deserves the credit he's getting becuase he was in the right place, and made good plays. The ints weren't especially tough, but they weren't gimmies either. He showed some really good stuff out there! Also....that's a pretty good 2nd day draft pick in my mind...so good job to Vinny C haha. I had to throw that out there.

I loved the fact that we drafted a guy with a lot of upside and if it didn't pan out it was just a late round pick. He showed up big time and he always knows where to be. When I saw him make plays he still wasn't satisfied that he didn't do more based off his facial expressions. I hope that he can do more for us being a big steal in the draft for us having won the first game for us.

Here's the thing. Other guys DO deserve credit for the plays Horton made. But so does Horton. It's not a one or the other thing, it's a both thing.

For the record, Horton, although a NFL rookie is NOT a rookie to this scheme. He played it at UCLA. He knows the system and it shows. Extremely happy for him.

These guys deserve most of the credit and not Horton. Not hating on Horton but the commentators and most fans will fail to realize what made Horton's plays possible.

That said, you still have to catch the ball and pick up the fumble.

The last few years, we've seen plenty of popups that fell sadly to the ground in the middle of a group of redskins players.. Give credit where credit is due, but the kid was playing heads up football..

not to mention did you guys see, he played pretty ok coverage and did pretty darn good on runs.

We should be giving credit to the D as a whole. Contributions from every position and a never say die attitude. Today Horton was the star because he capitalized on offensive mistakes and we should all give him credit for that. It was great to see JT and Griffin get to Blades and to just see the whole D fired up making big hits and quality tackles. JC, Moss and Portis will get the ESPN air time, but the entire D gets my game ball.

I definitely agree. I'm not so sure about Smoot, but Rocky and the entire DL in general played very well. For the first time in a long time our defense was not only aggressive, but was a playmaking defense. We got pressure on the QB, penetrated into the backfield, knocked passes in the air, and actually CAME DOWN with picks and fumbles (Thats where Horton comes in... we have been missing that last step for a long time). And was really great to see. Kudos to Blache and all the players.

I definitely agree. I'm not so sure about Smoot, but Rocky and the entire DL in general played very well. For the first time in a long time our defense was not only aggressive, but was a playmaking defense. We got pressure on the QB, penetrated into the backfield, knocked passes in the air, and actually CAME DOWN with picks and fumbles (Thats where Horton comes in... we have been missing that last step for a long time). And was really great to see. Kudos to Blache and all the players.

Rocky stripped the fumble, Smooth go his hands in there and caused the first tip and Evans tipped the second pass. That is my point, the commentators don't even comment on what caused the turnover in most cases...that is reporting today I guess.

Of course a lot of fans don't pay attention to th entire play either.

Our guys did well overall on defense. The thing is though, Horton's 2 picks were not easy picks. THey were tips which always make it harder to catch and gauge where it is going. Congrats to him for being able to get in the right position at times.

Rocky Mac and Smoot and the whole D in general deserve credit, as well as our o-line.

with Horton's play yesterday, i feel really good about our secondary. Springs is still our best CB, so hopefully he can stay on the field and be healthy.

Rocky McIntosh looked GREAT too ... so happy his knee looks good and does not seem to be a problem.

I also have to give a shout out to Griffin, he was getting really good penetration and looked like he was collapsing the pocket.

JTalylor had a nice sack, couple batted passes and was really playing well against the run.

last but not least, HB Blades was stout ... looks like a keeper. All around another great defensive effort.

now we just need to tighten up our special teams, and keep getting the ball to Moss, so that Cooley and Portis can have more success.

What a game!

Archived