Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Explain to me the last 5 minutes of the game

Stugein

Down two scores. Less than 5 minutes to go. Short dump offs and runs up the middle. Watching players get up casually, have words with a NY player, then saunter back to the huddle. No urgency. Under 3 minutes now. Still running up the middle. Tick tick, tick tick. My 8 year old son asks me, "Daddy, why aren't they hurrying up?" and I flat out didn't have an answer for him.

Don't get me wrong...I'm totally behind Zorn and I think we have the personnel to surprise a lot of people this year. I truly do. But just help me understand the end of the game last night. Did Zorn just not have a plan for being behind in the 4th? Had they not installed a hurry-up offense yet, trying to make sure that everyone got the core offense down solid first? Lulling the Giants into a false sense of security?

I think there were some bright spots last night and I saw a lot of things that we can build on. We lost, I'll get over it. It's not the end of the world and I fully expect to demolish NO in our home opener next week. I just need to understand what the deal was in that last five minutes last night...even if it's something disappointing like "they just weren't ready for this situation" I want to have an answer the next time I get asked.

Here's hoping for a renewed focus in practice and an awesome game next week!

I really don't think that the short passes were bad in that situation. Take what the defense gives you and keep moving up the field. What disappointed me was the clock management. They should have gone no huddle and just kept moving the ball like they were. There was no urgency that I could see. I don't even have a problem with running draws in that situation because they can bust some yards that way.

The lack of urgency is what killed them.

True, no sense of urgency. The only reason it appeared we were moving the ball was the Giants were in prevent. If they played their normal defensive scheme like they did all game, I doubt we would have crossed the 50 with the play calling that was taking place.

Bright spots being the defense and that your son recognizes the problem at that age.

I just don't understand the lack of urgency by Zorn. This wasn't the last 5 minutes of the game, I think they got the ball with 7:50 left in the game. Runs up the middle when you're down by 2 scores? 3-yard out patterns? WTF?

Zorn & Smith were completely out coached in this one.

The Giants did everything they could to give this one to us. Zorn & Smith just couldn't figure out a way to take it.

The D stepped it up in the second half. The d-line rotation was pretty good.

Hate to say it, but Griff is a liability on defense. I didn't check, but my guess is he didn't have any tackles or pressures.

Guest sith lord
I really don't think that the short passes were bad in that situation. Take what the defense gives you and keep moving up the field. What disappointed me was the clock management. They should have gone no huddle and just kept moving the ball like they were. There was no urgency that I could see. I don't even have a problem with running draws in that situation because they can bust some yards that way.

The lack of urgency is what killed them.

I think Madden made a good point. The reason they didn't no huddle was because they don't have it down yet.

Stugein, you hit the nail on the head!! The only two things that bothered me last night were the playcalling and lack of two minute offense at times.

I was calling runs and passes with about an 80% accuracy rate with my friends. I could tell by how the players lined up what play was coming. After a while I got frustrated that we kept running because, they had guys lining up to run into the backfield right away. The whole NY staff knew we were running, and they dropped us for losses almost every time at that point.

Secondly, we seem to have no two-minute offense, and this is more confusing and scary than anything. If Zorn thinks that this is still the preseason, I hope he stops having that fantasy soon lol. As for whether he has a two-minute offense, I noticed that we NEVER ran a two-minute offense the entire preseason. Down by nine with six minutes in the game and three timeouts is PLENTY of time to come back Zorn! Instead, we had already given up or something by throwing in the middle of the field and running and taking twenty seconds or more between each play after two yard gains. I noticed we never once ran a two-minute offense the entire preseason!! That is incredibly disturbing because we can write games off in the fourth quarter if Zorn has none in his playbook! I hope Zorn learns to allow Jason to take over or to speed up his playcalling because we will be behind more than just this game. We are not going to be up by 30 at the end of every game.

I am behind Zorn, and I will take the lumps. On the other hand, I was QUITE pleased with the offense in the second half even though you probably did not see that we had players open at times and made long throws. Consistency and success will come with experience, and I hope that getting past the first down marker comes with it also. Go skins!

P.S. This game was against the Super Bowl Champions in their house before a national audience. I did not expect to win anyway...

I was calling runs and passes with about an 80% accuracy rate with my friends. I could tell by how the players lined up what play was coming. After a while I got frustrated that we kept running because, they had guys lining up to run into the backfield right away. The whole NY staff knew we were running, and they dropped us for losses almost every time at that point.

:doh::doh::doh:

Long season ahead.

Archived