Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brooks vs Frost

tonyriggins

It'd be nice if they were able to reach the returner before he built up speed.

What would be nice would be developing that 4th round lineman so next year when our lines join AARP we might have someone to protect our QB. But at least the new guy can kick just about as well as the old guy. Has Swishy had more than that miss with Brooks holding? I said it on draft day and I'll say it again. We threw away that 4th round pick.

What would be nice would be developing that 4th round lineman so next year when our lines join AARP we might have someone to protect our QB. But at least the new guy can kick just about as well as the old guy. Has Swishy had more than that miss with Brooks holding? I said it on draft day and I'll say it again. We threw away that 4th round pick.

I think Tryon was a waste of a 4th, too. A 6th, however, isn't as big a deal in my book. Another thing, I can blame Frost for line driving a punt and outkicking his coverage. You cannot blame Brooks for being selected in the 6th.

It'd be nice if they were able to reach the returner before he built up speed.

I've rewatched every preseason game except for this one. I didn't even watch most of the game I was so disgusted. But I will go back and watch it later after I download it.

I didn't keep track of the exact numbers (I'm not the kind of guy to throw out numbers) but I am very confident to say that you are wrong for most cases. On most of his punts, the first coverage guy was about 7-10 yards away from the returner as he caught the ball. If you think about it, any closer and a (smart) returner would call a fair catch. The fact is that many coverage guys missed the tackle. Why? Cuz most of them don't have enough talent to even make the team.

I'm not saying that Frost is a great punter. I'm not saying he hasn't outpunted his coverage unit. I AM saying that people exaggerate and love to blame him.

I think Tryon was a waste of a 4th, too. A 6th, however, isn't as big a deal in my book. Another thing, I can blame Frost for line driving a punt and outkicking his coverage. You cannot blame Brooks for being selected in the 6th.
Drafting any punter is a mistake. Brooks was taken in the first couple picks of round 6. Sorry about my earlier misstatement.

I wouldn't even invite a rookie kicker to camp if he offered to pay his way. There was only 1 Ray Guy, and this kid don't look like him. Has the kid had a successful hold for Swishy yet? I don't remember anything but Brooks holding his only miss.

Then we have Brooks, whos kicks were a bit shorter, but the returners had no chance to return. The first guy got hit the second he caught the ball.

Like I said... that's fine. I want Brooks to beat out Frost. I'm not a Frost fanboy. I do acknowledge his problems and such. I'm just saying that people are jumping on the "hate Frost" bandwagon and it's disgusting. People refer back to the playoffs in Seattle. What cost us the game? How bout our freakin offensive line - which, by the way, doesn't look like it's fixed (and I'm referring to our starters). How bout if they gave Collins a second or two to throw and we didn't need our punter to come out every series?

But I'm going on a tangent. What if he does beat out Brooks? What if he genuinely is the better punter? Are people still going to hate on him? Yeah, probably. And by then I'll be tired of defending the guy.

Frost punting sucked tonight. Why? Because he was trying to outdo Brooks. Yes, his first punt went 50 yards. There also was 10 yards between the returner and the closest Skin when he caught the ball. His second punt was much worse. Yes, 60 yards. The closest Skin was 15 yards away, allowing the returner to get off a big return. Long punts dont do any good if they arent accompanied by hangtime. Then of course, Frost shanked his third punt. His average for the game was about 45 yards, but his net average was probably closer to 25.

Brooks on the other hand did NOT kick the ball deep, but he kicked it high, meaning he had a much higher net average. In fact, I think his net average was about 37, which would put him 10 yards(remember, thats field position on EVERY punt) farther than Frost.

Yes, Frost kicked the ball farther. But he did a much worse job of punting. It would be a shame if they kept him.

Drafting any punter is a mistake. Brooks was taken in the first couple picks of round 6. Sorry about my earlier misstatement.

I wouldn't even invite a rookie kicker to camp if he offered to pay his way. There was only 1 Ray Guy, and this kid don't look like him. Has the kid had a successful hold for Swishy yet? I don't remember anything but Brooks holding his only miss.

I found several punters who had been drafted this decade who put up solid numbers, and all better numbers than Frost. I guess you don't want to listen to another valid argument that trumps your man crush on Frost.

Also Brooks held for Suisham in the 3rd game vs. the Jets where Suisham was 2/2 on FG attempts from 30 and 36 yards.

I didn't keep track of the exact numbers (I'm not the kind of guy to throw out numbers) but I am very confident to say that you are wrong for most cases. On most of his punts, the first coverage guy was about 7-10 yards away from the returner as he caught the ball. If you think about it, any closer and a (smart) returner would call a fair catch. The fact is that many coverage guys missed the tackle. Why? Cuz most of them don't have enough talent to even make the team.

I'm not saying that Frost is a great punter. I'm not saying he hasn't outpunted his coverage unit. I AM saying that people exaggerate and love to blame him.

NFL.com does keep stats on net punting(in other words, the punt plus the return yards). This preseason, out of 40+ punters, Frost has punted at the bottom of the NFL, only beating out the bottom 3-4. Regardless of how well Brooks has or has not punted, Frost has been pretty bad again this preseason. Sure, he makes it look good by long kicks, but he outpunts his coverage so badly.

NFL.com does keep stats on net punting(in other words, the punt plus the return yards). This preseason, out of 40+ punters, Frost has punted at the bottom of the NFL, only beating out the bottom 3-4. Regardless of how well Brooks has or has not punted, Frost has been pretty bad again this preseason. Sure, he makes it look good by long kicks, but he outpunts his coverage so badly.

I guess you didn't read my post.

Look ... it was Brooks job to lose ... and he didn't ... why the !@#$ do you think they expended a draft choice to get him. Second, when it comes to punting ... and all things are equal ... the better "hang time" wins. And we all know who that is. Don't feel sorry for frosty ... he will find a job immediately ... probably with the Jags.

Look ... it was Brooks job to lose ... and he didn't ... why the !@#$ do you think they expended a draft choice to get him. Second, when it comes to punting ... and all things are equal ... the better "hang time" wins. And we all know who that is. Don't feel sorry for frosty ... he will find a job immediately ... probably with the Jags.

I don't know if you're referring to me but I'll reply anyway. I agree that it was Brooks job to lose and that he probably will win the position. While I do like Frost, I don't feel bad for him and all the trash he's getting here. I'm more perplexed by the fact that people can get on a guy's case that on OUR team. I'm saying that he didn't suck as bad as people made him out to. People want to accuse him of outpunting his coverage unit. It doesn't happen much at all in my opinion. I blame the coverage unit. But if some want to call me bias or a Frost lover then whatever.

No one. Frosty, if you had seen all of the games last year, would have seen that he is not afraid to lay out the returner.

I'm aware that Frost is not afraid to charge right at the returner. It's one of the attributes I do like about him. But the person I quoted made it seem like that was my or turbodiesel's (and anyone else that was defending Frost) main arguments when I know I hadn't made such comments in this thread. I can't speak for turbo since I haven't gone through the thread.

Transcript of postgame interview with Frost and comments from the Comcast Sportsnet Crew.

Kelly Johnson - For you I guess what has this been like to be with this team for a couple years now to have them draft a punter and then have it go all the way through the preseason to the 5th and final game?

Derrick Frost – Well I think we both knew this would probably come down to the final game and you know obviously I didn’t do what they wanted me to do last year in some way shape or form, and it’s a wake up call for me and whether they keep me or Durant, I think I’m going to be a better player for it, and I think I’ve shown that on the field.

KJ – Do you feel like you’ve done enough to win this job?

DF – You know, I do. But I’m not making the decision, and I know there are a lot of other factors that go into these decisions and I understand that. I’ve been in this league long enough to know that. But I feel like I’ve given 3 years of good service to this team and I think this preseason I’ve shown improvement. I’ve now hit 2 balls over 60 yards in the preseason; I’ve never done that before. On a lot fewer reps than in the past. I think I’ve been showing improvement and I think that’s what the team wants out of me.

KJ – They’ve been looking for more consistency from you; you’ve admitted that’s been an issue, and they’ve talked about the big leg of Durant Brooks, but tonight you went out and booted one 61 yards, as you mentioned, a couple over 60 yards. I guess you’ve showed them that you have that big leg too, right.

DF – You know, everyone in this league has a big leg. It’s all about consistency and efficiency in striking the ball. If you hit the ball cleanly it goes a long way, and that’s been part of my problem in this league; I haven’t done that enough. And I feel like last year and this year – moving into this year – I’ve done a better job of that. Like I said, the last 2 games I’ve played in I’ve had 2 punts over 60 yards. I’ve never done that before, and I’m looking forward to continuing to do that.

KJ – Tell me, I know that consistency has been an issue. You’ll have great punts and then you’ll have a bad one. That kinda happened here tonight. Your last punt was about 25 yards. Do you think that’s going to hurt you? Does that worry you in any way? I’m sure you were kicking yourself.

DF - It does, just because without that punt I put up really great numbers – possibly a career night for me. 45.7 or approximately that yard average is still a good day for me. I’d obviously like to have that one back. The good news is this game is all about timing and where you have your bad punts. That punt was at midfield. To do something like that backed up is something that really hurts the team. For instance, the other night I had a 64 yarder from the back of the endzone. Those are timing things that either keep you around or don’t keep you around. I feel like when the team needs me I deliver. Obviously I’d like to hit them all right, but it’s not going to happen. It doesn’t happen to the best punters in the league. Timing is a factor and luckily I hit that at a time when we were at midfield.

KJ – How hard are these next couple of hours going to be for you?

DF – You know, a lot better than the previous 24 hours. I played the best I can play, I feel like. Obviously you can always ask for more, but I’ve left it all on the field. I’ve tried my hardest. I think people have seen that, and that’s all I can do.

QUESTIONS FROM THE STUDIO

Fans see you guys on the sidelines. How has it been for you and Durant, knowing it’s coming down to you two, that one of you is getting the job and the other will not get the job – how do you get through on a daily basis being kind to a teammate but not wanting to be too kind?

DF – You know, Durant is a true professional, and we’ve just tried to be as professional as possible, but at the same time, not been too friendly – not given away too many secrets. He’s actually a better guy than I am. He actually congratulated me before I had a chance to after this game. He’s a great competitor, and I think both of us are going to find a place to play in this league.

COMMENTS FROM THE STUDIO

Dude whose name I don’t know – That’s Derrick Frost, Punter for the Washington Redskins. He came up with a big leg, as he said. Had a huge leg, tonight, with a couple of punts, although he finished the night with a 25 yarder which is…not good.

Arrington - He looks a little nervous to me. I don’t know. Maybe he has a somber sense of what may be to come.

Dude – Well, you didn’t have to go through that.

Blackistone – Yeah, if you were a punter, and your teams drafts a 6th round punter…

Arrington – Yeah, but I was good though. I was good when I played.

I found several punters who had been drafted this decade who put up solid numbers, and all better numbers than Frost. I guess you don't want to listen to another valid argument that trumps your man crush on Frost.

Why don't you act your listed age in your posts and we can have an adult debate. Who were these several punters and what was their numbers? Should be simple to include them in posts since you did the research already.

For your information, I have NEVER said Frost was anything but average. We have well below average problems on our OL, DL, LB, CB and Safety either up front or at depth. Your team gets better when you fill holes. Frost is just a flat spot with some intangibles that give him the edge over another average punter. Especially a kid with no experience.

Archived