Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike And Mike Two-A-Days

CrypticVillain

8-8 in this division with a 13-3 media darling, the defending Superbowl Champs and a resurgent Eagles team is pretty good.

Especially when you consider the question marks we have.

Just remember what the Cowboys did when they switched from a HOF coach to a relatively obscure one. The handcuffs were taken off. We are in the same position.

Hail!

The good thing is that they are just predictions. The NFL is very unpredictable and there are always surprises. I'd love to see the look on their faces if the NFC East ended the exact opposite way with the Redskins at the top and the Cowboys at the bottom. It's not likely but it is definitely possible.

I guess the idea that bugs me is the notion of locking into "What Dallas Cowboys? 1st place NFC east no exceptions... It's the only way it can happen! No other team can possibly even think of challenging Dallas for the division!" Many are SO sure that it is absolutely impossible for Dallas to be anything other than first in the division when in truth the competition in the division will be a lot closer.

2007 Two-a-Days for Greeny and Golic:

Skins - Greeny 8-8, Golic 6-10 (Actual 9-7)

'Girls - Greeny 11-5, Golic 11-5 (Actual 13-3)

Eagles - Greeny 9-7, Golic 10-6 (Actual 8-8)

Giants - Greeny 5-11, Golic 8-8 (Actual 10-6)

I'm not going to read anything into their 2008 predictions.

:2cents:

Just because we may not agree with their predictions doesn't mean they are wrong. Who the hell knows what will happen this season? 8-8 seems like a pretty fair assessment if you ask me.

No kidding.

And c'mon people, is 8-8 really that bad? We're acting like they're saying its going to be 06' all over again. I'd be happy with an 8-8 record and signs of improvement. Nothing ever happens over night. And considering our division, 8-8 is a very good record.

No kidding.

And c'mon people, is 8-8 really that bad? We're acting like they're saying its going to be 06' all over again. I'd be happy with an 8-8 record and signs of improvement. Nothing ever happens over night. And considering our division, 8-8 is a very good record.

Signs of improvement? The Skins were 9-7 last year. How is 8-8 improvement? No team in the division is a lock. The problem with this team is that they didn't score points, under Gibbs. The Skins, if you think about it, should have swept the division. Go back and look at the division games. Gibbs went altra conservative in the second half. Jason Campbell even admitted that. I think with the weapons the Skins have now, teams can no longer play 8 in the box. Zorn is going to pass first, and the running game has improved because of it.

Zorn? The man is no clown. He is from the Holgremn tree. No more to be said.

(5)

What will the team’s record be? Greenberg: 8-8. All 4 teams in the division can’t be over .500 and the Redskins will lose too many division games (although the Giants games can go either way). They will be a good team but will miss the playoffs. Golic: 8-8, which is better than the original prediction of 6-10. The Redskins will lose the Cincinnati game and lots of division games, but still there are winnable games. The defense is good but the division is too competitive for the Redskins to make the playoffs.

It chaps my ass when I see mediots think the Skins cant be competetive in the division. WTF? The Skins were literally 2 plays from being 5-1 in the division and in the Giants game they were 3 feet from sending that game to OT. In their 3 wins they looked dominant, just ask Dallasss or Philthy fans who got EMBARRASED on national tv. I am sure Golics fat ass watched that game.

I am not that interested in Mike & Mike's opinion of the NFC East. I am probably more qualified and more accurate than they are.

Here is my opinion:

Dallas 11-5

Eagles 9-7

Giant 7-9

Redskins 5-11

The Giants do poorly the season after a Superbowl.

The entire NFC is Weak. The Cowboys will win the NFC East and HFA through the playoffs by default. Who will stop them?

This is it for the Eagles. The McNabb era is coming to an end. They still have plenty of their players left from their Superbowl season.

The Redskins will be lucky to win 6 games this season.

Other NFC Teams to watch:

Cardinals, Saints, Vikings.

The Bears are good but still have QB Issues.

Who makes the playoffs for the NFC in 2008?

Cowboys

Eagles

Cards

Saints

Seahawks

Vikings

Superbowl XLIII

Chargers beats the Cowboys

This team went 9-7 last year.

An 8-8 prediction is hardly a slap in the face.

Had they picked 5-11, everyone complaining would be justified.....

Not necessarily a slap in the face, but they essentially said we'd "take a step back" without providing any good reasons for why we'd take a step back.

They said "all four teams in the division can't finish above .500." That makes no sense. Of course they can. It would have happened last year if the Eagles had won just one more game.

I don't have a problem with the 8-8 prediction itself, but I do have a problem with the lack of reasoning behind the prediction.

Not for nothing, but there are plenty of reasons to take a step back, not that one less win is that big a deal.

New HC who has never called a play in a meaningful game. New Offense. Questionable depth at LB. Rookie WR's who have still yet to really show anything.

Both the years Gibbs V2.0 got into the playoffs, the team needed win streaks to get in. I'm hoping this team gets out of the gate a little more cleanly, but I also understand there is change occurring.

Not for nothing, but there are plenty of reasons to take a step back, not that one less win is that big a deal.

New HC who has never called a play in a meaningful game. New Offense. Questionable depth at LB. Rookie WR's who have still yet to really show anything.

Both the years Gibbs V2.0 got into the playoffs, the team needed win streaks to get in. I'm hoping this team gets out of the gate a little more cleanly, but I also understand there is change occurring.

It's fine to feel that way, but they didn't articulate the reasons very well.

Also, no one ever seems to mention all the injured players we had last year who are back from injury this year. That seems pretty significant to me, but it's almost completely overlooked by just about everyone.

We were the only team with as many season-ending injuries as we had to actually make the playoffs, and every one of those players (except ST of course) is back this year.

Also, no one ever seems to mention all the injured players we had last year who are back from injury this year. That's seems pretty significant to me, but it's almost completely overlooked by just about everyone.

We were the only team with as many season-ending injuries as we had to actually make the playoffs, and every one of those players (except ST of course) is back this year.

What I don't get is why this team played so much better AFTER all these players were out. Is this just a team getting hot using backups, or is it a sign of something else? It bears watching...

What I don't get is why this team played so much better AFTER all these players were out. Is this just a team getting hot using backups, or is it a sign of something else? It bears watching...

I think it was a variety of things:

1) Excellent job by Coach Gibbs and his staff in pulling the team together in the face of adversity.

2) Evidence that the team's depth is and was far better than anyone realized.

3) A team playing with increased emotion in the wake of tragedy.

Having said all that, I think we're clearly better off with our first-line guys healthy--particularly with a largely new coaching staff. But it is comforting to have a better feel for what some of the backups can do, and to know that they can contribute if pressed into duty. Not all teams have that luxury.

I think it was a variety of things:

1) Excellent job by Coach Gibbs and his staff in pulling the team together in the face of adversity.

2) Evidence that the team's depth is and was far better than anyone realized.

3) A team playing with increased emotion in the wake of tragedy.

Having said all that, I think we're clearly better off with our first-line guys healthy--particularly with a largely new coaching staff. But it is comforting to have a better feel for what some of the backups can do, and to know that they can contribute if pressed into duty. Not all teams have that luxury.

Agreed. But this is also a reason for concern to me, since 2 of those 3 reasons are no longer valid. I hope they are able to step up in other ways.

Agreed. But this is also a reason for concern to me, since 2 of those 3 reasons are no longer valid. I hope they are able to step up in other ways.

Personally, I believe we would have made the same run had our starters been healthy. The games against the Giants, Vikings and Cowboys down the stretch really were not particularly close games. The only question is the Bears game--would we have won it if JC had not gotten injured? We'll never know. But if we had won that one, I think the final three would have been wins for us with or without the starters. We outclassed all three opponents in those games and would have done the same with our starters healthy.

What would have been REALLY interesting to see is how much of a difference our starters would have made if they were healthy for the Seattle playoff game.

First question was basically Will Jim Zorn be good in his first year? Said they were surprised that he got the job. Then they said they don't know.

Second question was can JC be a Pro Bowl QB in the NFC. Golic named like 5 QB's that were better then him.

Third question was Do we have the best WR corp in the NFL? Said no and gave three teams Cardinals, Patriots, and Cowboys. Said TO and Crayton was better lol.

Fourth Question was is Jason Taylor now the best Defensive player in the NFC. Golic said no he can name 5 better.

Fifth question was what will our record be. Greeny said 8-8 and I thought he said Golic said 6-10. But Golic said 8-8 too. They said that they wouldn't be surprised if we won 11. But they said they have to put some team out because of the division we are in.

Some true, some ridiculous, but to me it was a pretty fair assessment.

If that's what they said, except for the Jason Taylor comment honestly there's not much to quibble with here (Crayton did have better stats than ARE, so I see where they are coming from there even if it seems ludicrous on its surface). I have them at 8-8 this year as well, but added a two-win margin for error either way just to CMA. As an outsider looking in, I can't fault anyone for thinking this about the Skins. Heck, as a trueblue Redskins homer I have the same feelings.

I'm actually surprised at how fair M&M were here. Gotta give them props for that...and also hope that they're dead wrong. :D

Signs of improvement? The Skins were 9-7 last year. How is 8-8 improvement? No team in the division is a lock. The problem with this team is that they didn't score points, under Gibbs. The Skins, if you think about it, should have swept the division. Go back and look at the division games. Gibbs went altra conservative in the second half. Jason Campbell even admitted that. I think with the weapons the Skins have now, teams can no longer play 8 in the box. Zorn is going to pass first, and the running game has improved because of it.

Zorn? The man is no clown. He is from the Holgremn tree. No more to be said.

Even if Zorn is going to be the next great Washington coach, he still needs time to develop not only his staff and players but also his own style. He has never called plays or dealt with anything like this on a head coaching level. He's going to learn just like everyone else is. To think he'll magically be able to lead this team to 10+ wins is a little crazy, to be frank. There's plenty of coaching nuances that he's never had to learn because he's never dealt with more than 3 players at a time. He's also never been any other coach's head boss before, so that's new as well. It takes time to gell, so I'm not holding my breath for this season.

8-8 is a good record because it shows competence and willingness to compete. Keep in mind our WR crew right now isn't the greatest because Kelly and Thomas are not even close to being able to start at any point this year. However, if they can learn the offense and earn some rapport with JC by the end of this year things could be different for next year. Same goes for Davis and Rinehart. I think those rookies all have potential to be great, but they aren't going to be this season and I think that's a point that some people on this board struggle with.

Regardless, if they do better than 8-8 I will, of course, be stoked. But realistically, you can't hate on the radio guys for giving us a conservative prediction.

I think an 8-8 prediction is a fair assesment. I think the learning curve Campbell and the whole offense, including Zorn as a coach, will play more of an impact that many of us consider. With that said, I still think the team is capable of much more.

Until Campbell rises to the next level, the Skins will be rated last in the Division. Get used to it. Unfortunately, Campbell does not seem to have progressed much this preseason ... aginst the Jets he looked like same ole same ole.

I've noticed you kept your piehole shut the first two preseason games when Jason looked good.

That's called a trend, Eeyore...

I don't think I like the head coach thing either. Zorn isn't an imbecile. A team doesn't have to automatically suck because the head coach is new. Even still the mentality is not "OMG! nobody has ever done it before. That must mean it's impossible" The mentality is "Oh? no one has done it before? well I'll be the first"

Other than that, bookmarked. It's possible that you might see this thread again.

Archived