Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What veteran Redskins do you think fails to make the squad?

Walking Deadman

6 LBs - I wish we would just cut either Frost or Devine already and bring in some more LB depth.

I agree with Devine but I think they are giving Frost the benefit of a competition which is not over yet. He is behind, but only has one game so far, next game may prove his death sentence.

If he plays like he did againt the Bills he should just pack his stuff.

I know, right? This guy has had a sack by him in almost all three games. Last night he got tossed like a rag doll, and Campbell got rocked! Total b.s. play by Jansen

Jansen won't be cut by the Skins this season......however if he struggles, I can see Heyer playing RT and using Jansen as a backup.

I don't know Goode scored the only TD last night and he's had Devine and Brennan throw at him at least once in each preseason game so I think he could be a decent pass catching TE.

Goode is a lesser known version of Sleepy Davis. We dont have room for 3 TE's like that. :2cents:

Goode should be on the practice squad. I just hope he doesn't continue to show up on the radar or other teams might take a chance on him for their roster. Let's hope he stays the year and we can take a look at him next year.

We might have trouble with that with a couple of players.

Jansen won't be cut by the Skins this season......however if he struggles, I can see Heyer playing RT and using Jansen as a backup.

Ya, I know.I am just tired of the excuses. I really didnt think Heyer did that well. Example is the Seahawks game. I know he did good for what experince he had and he has potential, but will he get abused this year if he is put in?

Definitely Rock ... sure he broke a long run, yet he did not have the speed to take it to the house. He seems to have lost a step ... Mason has moved past him.

who cares if he didn't take it to the house, he still took it 75 yards. Rock is not only a great 3rd running back for us but he is also a great kick returner, he was one of the best at it last year.

1. How many people hear knew about Alfred Fincher? Look what he has done in 2 weeks. He went from someone who didnt have a shot at making this team, to someone who is earning a spot on the final 53.

2. Where do we have overflowing depth at? MAYBE we could cut a WR but thats a big maybe. Toler might be the only one I see as cut worthy. But other then that, its too thin at other places.

1. Well, Fincher was actually I gauy I hoped we would draft a couple of years ago (though he then went way higher than I thought he would, and he really hasn't panned out since then) and I was happy when I heard we had picked him up, so he didn't come completely out of left field for me.

More importantly, as you said, we will probably keep 6 LBs and we have Washington, Fletcher, McIntosh, Blades, Campbell and Fincher, with the odds on us cutting Sinclair, who isn't terrible. It's highly unlikely we'll find someone off the scrap heap right now who breaks thru that group in the last two weeks of camp anyway.

2. Yes, Toler is a good example. He's 9th at WR on a team that will carry 5 or 6 on the roster. Two major injuries and he still gets cut. You cut Frost and Brooks gets hurt and now you're scrambling to find a P who won't kill the team this season. Meanwhile, you're keeping guys like Toler, Askew, Ghee, T. Washington and Oshinowo, who each have about a 2% better chance of making this team than you or I do.

1. Well, Fincher was actually I gauy I hoped we would draft a couple of years ago (though he then went way higher than I thought he would, and he really hasn't panned out since then) and I was happy when I heard we had picked him up, so he didn't come completely out of left field for me.

More importantly, as you said, we will probably keep 6 LBs and we have Washington, Fletcher, McIntosh, Blades, Campbell and Fincher, with the odds on us cutting Sinclair, who isn't terrible. It's highly unlikely we'll find someone off the scrap heap right now who breaks thru that group in the last two weeks of camp anyway.

2. Yes, Toler is a good example. He's 9th at WR on a team that will carry 5 or 6 on the roster. Two major injuries and he still gets cut. You cut Frost and Brooks gets hurt and now you're scrambling to find a P who won't kill the team this season. Meanwhile, you're keeping guys like Toler, Askew, Ghee, T. Washington and Oshinowo, who each have about a 2% better chance of making this team than you or I do.

But with #2 you have to figure in that they are sticking around so we have bodies who can play in the 3rd and 4th quarter so our starters and primary 2nd string players arent out there risking injury in a meaningless game.

Seriously?

Mason has been HUGE this preseason, and McMullen has just finished his 'no, really, this is your final shot at this thing so start catching the @#)+&$@ ball' training camp and has been little better than so-so. I just don't see it....IMHO he's not an NFL receiver.

And, no--I'm not one of those "look at the YouTube, Mason is unstoppable" fanatics....but I'm quickly becoming a "look at the preseason, Mason could start in this league" guy.

By the way, last night the National Weather Service issued a Frost warning. Did you see the new kid kick the ball? Happy trails, DF...

Plus we could cut McMullen, keep Mason, and for extra WRs split Cooley and Davis out wide. Betts too if needed.

But with #2 you have to figure in that they are sticking around so we have bodies who can play in the 3rd and 4th quarter so our starters and primary 2nd string players arent out there risking injury in a meaningless game.

Mix, McMullen, Mann and the rookies aren't able to play cover WR in the second half? Or Hamilton, Horton, Fox, Moore and Richardson the S position?

I'm a little more worried about cutting a guy who is one injury from being needed depth at a certain spot than I am having 4 or 5 extra guys at one position to allow others to 'rest' for a few plays.

You find a LB who has a real chance to make this team, then why not just cut another of the extra LBs like Rian Wallace?

I don't think that this year will have a surprise like Rynaldo Wynn was (to me) last year. Frost is the obvious one, but wouldn't be very surprising. Aside from that, I can't imagine anything else other than maybe Rock Cartwright.

No way Todd Yoder gets cut. He's the exact opposite of someone you'd cut - a veteran guy who plays WAY above his paygrade. Guys of Yoder's ilk are what form the foundation of your team.

Re: McMullen and Mason, I think they're both playing for the same roster spot. And I think Mason takes it.

Mix, McMullen, Mann and the rookies aren't able to play cover WR in the second half? Or Hamilton, Horton, Fox, Moore and Richardson the S position?

I'm a little more worried about cutting a guy who is one injury from being needed depth at a certain spot than I am having 4 or 5 extra guys at one position to allow others to 'rest' for a few plays.

You find a LB who has a real chance to make this team, then why not just cut another of the extra LBs like Rian Wallace?

The coaches actually have high praise for Rian Wallace. He has good sideline speed. He isn't a bad prospect.

I don't think that this year will have a surprise like Rynaldo Wynn was (to me) last year. Frost is the obvious one, but wouldn't be very surprising. Aside from that, I can't imagine anything else other than maybe Rock Cartwright.

No way Todd Yoder gets cut. He's the exact opposite of someone you'd cut - a veteran guy who plays WAY above his paygrade. Guys of Yoder's ilk are what form the foundation of your team.

Re: McMullen and Mason, I think they're both playing for the same roster spot. And I think Mason takes it.

I stand by my Wade and Fabini surprises. Rock isn't going anywhere. How serious is the injury with Campbell (LB)? I heard he tore something in his sholder? If this is the case, does that make it more likely for us to keep Sinclair and Fincher to go along with Blades? I like Blades a lot, but with his versatility, I wouldn't mind him as our backup WLB and Sinclair as our backup MLB and Fincher as a backup SLB. I don't even know if thats right, but it makes sense in my eyes.

I stand by my Wade and Fabini surprises. Rock isn't going anywhere. How serious is the injury with Campbell (LB)? I heard he tore something in his sholder? If this is the case, does that make it more likely for us to keep Sinclair and Fincher to go along with Blades? I like Blades a lot, but with his versatility, I wouldn't mind him as our backup WLB and Sinclair as our backup MLB and Fincher as a backup SLB. I don't even know if thats right, but it makes sense in my eyes.

It was Rian Wallace not Campbell.

The coaches actually have high praise for Rian Wallace. He has good sideline speed. He isn't a bad prospect.

Well, I pretty much ignore coaches when they talk up a player. I remember Gibbs talking as if Garnell Wilds and Zak Keasey were destined for superstardom shortly before they were released. I guess when coaches start issuing statements like "Burl Toler is terrible. We can't wait to cut him." Or "I'll eat my hat if Tavares Washington ever makes an NFL roster." then I'll believe them when they 'praise' a guy fighting for a roster spot.

Still, let's assume Wallace is as good as you say (I really haven't seen that much of him, so I'll defer here). Your post I responded was about how desperate we were for LB depth, so much so that you wanted to release players who were one injury from making the team so we could pick up some unknown LB off the scrap heap, because we so badly needed another body there. Now you've praised Fincher and Wallace, one of whom likely won't make the the final cut.

I guess it's safe to say you've officially lost me.

Well, I pretty much ignore coaches when they talk up a player. I remember Gibbs talking as if Garnell Wilds and Zak Keasey were destined for superstardom shortly before they were released. I guess when coaches start issuing statements like "Burl Toler is terrible. We can't wait to cut him." Or "I'll eat my hat if Tavares Washington ever makes an NFL roster." then I'll believe them when they 'praise' a guy fighting for a roster spot.

Still, let's assume Wallace is as good as you say (I really haven't seen that much of him, so I'll defer here). Your post I responded was about how desperate we were for LB depth, so much so that you wanted to release players who were one injury from making the team so we could pick up some unknown LB off the scrap heap, because we so badly needed another body there. Now you've praised Fincher and Wallace, one of whom likely won't make the the final cut.

I guess it's safe to say you've officially lost me.

ummmm what??

I never said Rian Wallace was the next Lawrence Taylor. I would take Zorn's praising of a player with higher regard then any of Gibbs. Zorn is the one who is calling his own players out for not being ready and in condition. Anyway it doesn't matter Rian Wallace has a seperated shoulder and is out for 3 weeks. My guess is he will be cut and someone else will be brought in. Fincher has played very well for being here in such a short time and has a great shot at making the final roster. Brandon Moore is a name that comes to mind. He was released from the 49ers when they signed Spikes. People didn't expect Moore to be the one released when they signed Spikes because Moore has looked very good at times.

ummmm what??

I never said Rian Wallace was the next Lawrence Taylor. I would take Zorn's praising of a player with higher regard then any of Gibbs. Zorn is the one who is calling his own players out for not being ready and in condition. Anyway it doesn't matter Rian Wallace has a seperated shoulder and is out for 3 weeks. My guess is he will be cut and someone else will be brought in. Fincher has played very well for being here in such a short time and has a great shot at making the final roster. Brandon Moore is a name that comes to mind. He was released from the 49ers when they signed Spikes. People didn't expect Moore to be the one released when they signed Spikes because Moore has looked very good at times.

Moore signed with the Cardinals last week.

I didn't know about Wallace being hurt, but as I said, you want (and can find) a LB worth anything to pick up, then release Wallace (which is what I just posted and you responded by telling me how promising Wallace was).

The point is, you're talking about how desperate we were to add LB depth and how we should pick up somebody/anybody who can play the position, then you praised a couple of the players we would have to release to make room for this mythical LB. It doesn't make much sense.

Moore signed with the Cardinals last week.

I didn't know about Wallace being hurt, but as I said, you want (and can find) a LB worth anything to pick up, then release Wallace (which is what I just posted and you responded by telling me how promising Wallace was).

The point is, you're talking about how desperate we were to add LB depth and how we should pick up somebody/anybody who can play the position, then you praised a couple of the players we would have to release to make room for this mythical LB. It doesn't make much sense.

Am I a coach? I know I said the coaches gave him praises not me. Please read what I write. I dont want to release Fincher or Wallace for the matter (before his injury). Burl Toler is an example of a player who has basically no shot to make this team that we could release to bring in another LB.

Archived