Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Cult of Colt (Merged)

TK

Sketch, welcome to the board. Believe it or not, (and needless to say for those of us who have been here since he was drafted), Colt has been a widely discussed player here on ES. We have search function here and all you have to do is type in colt, search titles only, in The Stadium only, and say for the past several months and you will find many of them. In a moment, your thread is going to "disappear." Now, that doesn't mean it's been deleted, it means it's been merged with the most recent, relevant, thread dealing with Colt. It's on the first page here still. That way you can catch up with what's been talked about. Feel free to do that search as well to get up to speed. Again, welcome to the board.

I think both. Zorn was quoted as saying he wants Colt to play good because he actually played good and not because he got lucky. In the last game there was only one risky throw that I remember - the playaction pass up the middle where he threaded the needle between the two defenders. That pass was pinpoint and there was absolutely no room for error. It was risky but that one play showed off his quick release, accuracy and confidence.

I think there can be a good balance between reigning in your QB and letting him just go out and sling it. See Favre during Holmgren and afterwards.

Look what Colt said on Friday:

Coach Zorn has worked with me on the mechanics of my release. He emphasizes having a good, strong, high release. My release moves around a lot--it is not in a steady place. When it came down to it in the end, he told me, 'As long as you're accurate with the football and you can get the ball there, I want you to be comfortable.'

But I think he is always going to make sure that my release is high and doesn't get too low--just for consistency reasons.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What Colt says in bold is clear evidence that Zorn has him worrying about where his release his.

Yeah, yeah, I know Zorn is suppose to know what he's doing, but has he worked with any QBs whom were non-coventional, but already accurate?

What is the reward here? To look pretty? (shrug)

Romo sits to pee was recognized way before the end of his collegiate career at E. Illinois University that he was something special. Before a game against Hawaii, June Jones pointed out that Romo sits to pee had a pro career ahead of him. I'm not sure he was the longshot project you describe.

On a side note, June Jones had alot to do with Tony Romo sits to pee getting a free agent deal with Dallas.

A long time ago, on Todd Ryke All Night show, Todd had a scheduled June Jones Convo like every two weeks. One of the conversation was about Tony Romo sits to pee. Basically saying that after the game Hawaii had against E. Illinois (Tony Romo sits to pee) Jones knew he had NFL potential. Funny thing was Jones was calling around the NFL to tell them "you gotta take a look at this kid, he's got somehting special." Nick Rolovich (the former QB for Hawaii) was around the UH campus with June and knew what was going on. Nick Rolovich was a roomate of Tony Romo sits to pee and kept in touch. Nick thought he'd mentioned that June was trying to spread the word of Romo sits to pee. Romo sits to pee was excited and asked June if he could help him out a bit more and then he landed up in Dallas.

I'm to lazy to dig it up, but I think if you look up somehere in ESPN Insider, you could actually prolly find the old radio show. I'm an ESPN Outsider (refuse to pay) so if any Insider can get sound bites from that interview, it would be sweet.

On a side note, June Jones had alot to do with Tony Romo sits to pee getting a free agent deal with Dallas.

A long time ago, on Todd Ryke All Night show, Todd had a scheduled June Jones Convo like every two weeks. One of the conversation was about Tony Romo sits to pee. Basically saying that after the game Hawaii had against E. Illinois (Tony Romo sits to pee) Jones knew he had NFL potential. Funny thing was Jones was calling around the NFL to tell them "you gotta take a look at this kid, he's got somehting special." Nick Rolovich (the former QB for Hawaii) was around the UH campus with June and knew what was going on. Nick Rolovich was a roomate of Tony Romo sits to pee and kept in touch. Nick thought he'd mentioned that June was trying to spread the word of Romo sits to pee. Romo sits to pee was excited and asked June if he could help him out a bit more and then he landed up in Dallas.

I'm to lazy to dig it up, but I think if you look up somehere in ESPN Insider, you could actually prolly find the old radio show. I'm an ESPN Outsider (refuse to pay) so if any Insider can get sound bites from that interview, it would be sweet.

Yep..thats right. I listened to JJ on the radio (I think Bobby Curran show) talking about Romo sits to pee and he did say that Romo sits to pee called him to see if he [Jones] could make some phone calls to get him into someone's camp. Jones may not be an NFL caliber head coach, but he knows NFL caliber QB talent.

Look what Colt said on Friday:

Coach Zorn has worked with me on the mechanics of my release. He emphasizes having a good, strong, high release. My release moves around a lot--it is not in a steady place. When it came down to it in the end, he told me, 'As long as you're accurate with the football and you can get the ball there, I want you to be comfortable.'

But I think he is always going to make sure that my release is high and doesn't get too low--just for consistency reasons.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What Colt says in bold is clear evidence that Zorn has him worrying about where his release his.

Yeah, yeah, I know Zorn is suppose to know what he's doing, but has he worked with any QBs whom were non-coventional, but already accurate?

What is the reward here? To look pretty? (shrug)

2n81x1u.jpg

How's that for consistency? If it ain't broke ...

bejesus Hawaii fans are everywhere' date=' they have to be given an Avatar please, Colt on the bench or Colt holding a clip board, something[/quote']

I like how they say they're trying to convert themseleves as full fledged Skins fans. Yet all they do is hang out in the CB5 threads.

:laugh:

Well, a few people at the Hawaii Wariors Scout board are blaming Zorn completely.

Hell, theres an article calling for him to be fired because of his comments.

Yes, I am a Hawai‘i girl who is proud of Colt Brennan’s U.H. Warrior history, but I can be objective and have shared other sides of his performances too. Something like this, where the put-downs are done by the guy’s own coach, and in public versus in private, are absolutely inexcusable.

:rolleyes: :doh: uhhhhhh, welcome to the NFL.

If I were this team owner, this coach would no longer be allowed to speak to the media, :rolleyes: and chances are he would not be my head coach any longer. :rolleyes: He would not be coaching at all. I may not know all the ins and outs of football, but I do know the difference between successful coaching...

:rolleyes:

...and a disrespectful squashing of the victories of the people you are supposed to be mentoring and coaching.

:rotflmao: Since when did "mentoring and coaching" = heap praise on a guy for a few successful passes and completely avoid any constructive criticism whatsoever?

I do know how little it takes to break someone’s spirit, and how irresponsible and just plain ignorant, arrogant, and mean it is when someone does so. As a business owner and coach, I also know how a lack of understanding with the people who are your “greatest asset” is going to sink your entire ROI-seeking enterprise, and make no doubt about it, professional football is a business. If your people do not have the spirit to be winners, you won’t be one either.

This person really cracks me up. It's almost as if she has never before watched an NFL game and, subsequently, a post-game press conference in her life. Heck, she even admits to "not knowing the ins and outs of football." I'm sorry, but making sure you're not "breaking the spirit" of 5 year-olds (or whoever she coaches) is just a little different than an NFL coach's tactics with potential future NFL talent in his hands. Even if the intent is that she "coaches" a group of business associates, the comparison is highly off keel. Contracts in football may be a business, but talent is not (for the most part).

I wonder if this person thought about this fact: Zorn was a QB. A pretty successful one at that. Perhaps he had coaches in his young career that kept him in check, which helped him excel even more? Perhaps Zorn can draw on his own experiences as a rookie and apply it to the Colt Situation?

:whoknows:

I like Colt. I think the kid's got talent, and I think, with constructive coaching, he certainly has a chance to make a mark a couple years from now, be it for us or some other team. My only issue is that there are many, many Colt/Hawaii fans who are treating this as the Second Coming of Johnny Unitas or Bart Starr or something. I understand many people are really excited for their hometown boy to get a shot in the NFL, but c'mon. I hope Colt does well, and even possibly supplants TC as our #2 at some point. Maybe, just maybe in 2 to 3 years, he could emerge as a starter. I like his raw talent, but some of the praise - and criticism of Zorn's comments - are simply way off base.

/rant

By the way, Colt looked ok on Saturday. It was posited somewhere that he might have been just a little overwhelmed by the size of FedEx/crowd (we did have nearly 70k attendees, which seemed pretty high for a preseason game, no?). Whatever it was, he could have had one or two more completions, but hey, such is life in the NFL. Show me one game where Campbell doesn't have a perfect throw dropped on at least a couple occassions. In any case, I think Colt is right where he needs to be. Impressing the coaches enough to guarantee 3rd on the roster, and in a position to learn for a few years and develop into a good starting QB. Maybe.

bejesus Hawaii fans are everywhere' date=' they have to be given an Avatar please, Colt on the bench or Colt holding a clip board, something[/quote']

"Everywhere" , eh? Yeah right:laugh:

Park City Skins I'm sure knows that there aren't that many here with Hawaii as their location and also with a 2008 join date.

I'd guess 15-20 max and probably some of those are sock puppets. Less than 10 visit on a regular basis.

2n81x1u.jpg

How's that for consistency? If it ain't broke ...

But it is. If it weren't, every NFL coach wouldn't have a problem with it. A lot of NFL scouts knocked his throwing motion and it's been stated that its something that has to be fixed.

What he did in college, against the WAC no less, means jack crap in the NFL. If an NFL coach has a problem with Colt's throwing motion, then there is a problem, regardless of what his supporters say.

It's interesting, why would you get angry at someone trying to make Colt's throwing mtion better?

Again, what are the rewards for changing Colt's motion/release point? Anyone?

See below

It's not a rock skipping competition?

No, but seriously, the only thing I have to say to why his throwing motion needs to be changed is because Zorn says so. I said this on the Hawaii Warrior boards, its a little harsh but the guy I was talking to had some very rude insults for all of ES (apparently we are a bunch of red necks with good spelling) Zorn's decisions are whats best for the team - not whats best for Hawaii. Just because you guys like his throwing motion, and it was effective in the WAC, doesn't mean it'll fly in the NFL.

And so it begins. One week, Colt comes out and does pretty damn good for rookie QB drafted in the low rounds. Things are kind of exciting and man that Coach Zorn, he seems to be getting along with Colt just fine thank you very much. One not so great game later, and things start getting testy. In some cases,it's Zorn's fault. How very predictable. And disappointing.

I'll take that question modazuk. Just because Colt had all that success at Hawaii playing in the WAC,(where offense is the name of the game and defense is optional),doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. Doesn't mean there aren't things he might have to do in order to be successful in football at it's highest level. It also can be part of the system in which he is currently playing in. A higher release may enable him to deliver the ball even more accurately, with even greater distance, and with an even faster release,(scary to think about that with Colt. Who has a fast release already). It will also help in keeping the potential batted balls at the line down substantially. Cliche as it is, this isn't the WAC and the Skins aren't playing Utah State or Boise state . This is where the best of the best coach and play. That and there is always, always room to improve. That's why they have these coaches all over the place in the NFL as well. To help players do just that. Improve even more. No matter how good they were before.

BTW, I read what you did and came away with a completely different point of view. Seems to me that Coach isn't trying to completely change Colt's form, hence why he wants him to be comfortable when it's all said and done. Colt says it himself, he's pretty sure that a bit of a higher release will help him be more consistent,(though Colt seems to be speculating on that whole thing). And that is something that Colt will need in order to succeed in the NFL.

See below

No, but seriously, the only thing I have to say to why his throwing motion needs to be changed is because Zorn says so. I said this on the Hawaii Warrior boards, its a little harsh but the guy I was talking to had some very rude insults for all of ES (apparently we are a bunch of red necks with good spelling) Zorn's decisions are whats best for the team - not whats best for Hawaii. Just because you guys like his throwing motion, and it was effective in the WAC, doesn't mean it'll fly in the NFL.

Zorn also made mention (a few weeks ago) of as long as it gets from point A to point B, thats all that matters (something to that effect). I don't have the link to support this, but I'll go look for it if someone claims he said no such thing.

I'm not saying I like Colt's motion. I really couldn't care less how a QB throws the football as long as it gets to where it needs to be on a relatively consistent basis.

[edit] By the way, I saw the "good spelling rednecks" comment and I'm pretty sure you're educated enough to know that one person does not speak for an entire board - just like I know that just because a few on this board spew hate for anyone from Hawaii, the majority here do not.

And so it begins. One week, Colt comes out and does pretty damn good for rookie QB drafted in the low rounds. Things are kind of exciting and man that Coach Zorn, he seems to be getting along with Colt just fine thank you very much. One not so great game later, and things start getting testy. In some cases,it's Zorn's fault. How very predictable. And disappointing.

Zorn all but admitted during his press conference that he was conservative in the 2nd half because the running game was working. With it being preseason and all, why be conservative? If anyone should be upset, its Devine because if we're being honest, he hasn't been given any opportunity thusfar to show what he can do.

I'll take that question modazuk. Just because Colt had all that success at Hawaii playing in the WAC,(where offense is the name of the game and defense is optional),doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. Doesn't mean there are things he might have to do in order to be successful in football at it's highest level. It also can be part of the system in which he is currently playing in. A higher release may enable him to deliver the ball even more accurately, with even greater distance, and with an even faster release,(scary to think about that with Colt. Who has a fast release already). It will also help in keeping the potential batted balls at the line down substantially. Cliche as it is, this isn't the WAC and the Skins aren't playing Utah State or Boise state . This is where the best of the best coach and play. That and there is always, always room to improve. That's why they have these coaches all over the place in the NFL as well. To help players do just that. Improve even more. No matter how good they were before.

Ahhh...Finally a well thought out answer. Now if Zorn thinks Colt can maintain his accuracy or even improve upon it and/or improve his ball speed, with a higher release, I get that.

The ball being batted down is the biggest argument used against Colt, but after two pre-season opportunities, that argument doesn't appear to be a result of throwing motion. For one example, consider Booty with his ideal mechanics having 3 balls interfered with.

BTW, I read what you did and came away with a completely different point of view. Seems to me that Coach isn't trying to completely change Colt's form, hence why he wants him to be comfortable when it's all said and done. Colt says it himself, he's pretty sure that a bit of a higher release will help him be more consistent. And that is something that Colt will need in order to succeed in the NFL.

That would be true. Zorn did say that he wants Colt to be comfortable, but knowing how Colt is, with his desire to please, he'll try to do what Zorn ideally wants. We shall see this week.

Thanks for your input!

But it is. If it weren't, every NFL coach wouldn't have a problem with it. A lot of NFL scouts knocked his throwing motion and it's been stated that its something that has to be fixed.

What he did in college, against the WAC no less, means jack crap in the NFL. If an NFL coach has a problem with Colt's throwing motion, then there is a problem, regardless of what his supporters say.

It's interesting, why would you get angry at someone trying to make Colt's throwing motion better?

I understand 'herd mentality', so I hear ya.

As for anyone being angry at Zorn, no, I don't think anyone here is angry. Perplexed, maybe, but not angry. But who knows, maybe all of this is much ado about nothing. We shall see this week if Colt tries to throw differently.

First, Zorn is the expert and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Second, I have seen ALL of CBs college games from beginning to end and I can't recall a single ball being batted down. I'm not saying it never happened, but I am saying that it rarely happened.

I know a little about football and leading into the 2005 season a lot of talk was said about the "different" throwing motion that CB has. However, it became an afterthought as it didn't pose much of a problem.

BTW, Hawaii did play a lot of tough non-conference games during CBs three seasons.

It's interesting, why would you get angry at someone trying to make Colt's throwing mtion better?

See below

Rich Gannon. I just nuked your argument.

Next.

Archived