Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Cult of Colt (Merged)

TK

First, Zorn is the expert and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Second, I have seen ALL of CBs college games from beginning to end and I can't recall a single ball being batted down. I'm not saying it never happened, but I am saying that it rarely happened.

I know a little about football and leading into the 2005 season a lot of talk was said about the "different" throwing motion that CB has. However, it became an afterthought as it didn't pose much of a problem.

BTW, Hawaii did play a lot of tough non-conference games during CBs three seasons.

June Jones is as much of an expert and saw no need to change Colt's throwing motion. No passes have been batted down yet. Where's the issue other than it "looks weird."?

But it is. If it weren't, every NFL coach wouldn't have a problem with it. A lot of NFL scouts knocked his throwing motion and it's been stated that its something that has to be fixed.

What he did in college, against the WAC no less, means jack crap in the NFL. If an NFL coach has a problem with Colt's throwing motion, then there is a problem, regardless of what his supporters say.

It's interesting, why would you get angry at someone trying to make Colt's throwing mtion better?

See below

No, but seriously, the only thing I have to say to why his throwing motion needs to be changed is because Zorn says so. I said this on the Hawaii Warrior boards, its a little harsh but the guy I was talking to had some very rude insults for all of ES (apparently we are a bunch of red necks with good spelling) Zorn's decisions are whats best for the team - not whats best for Hawaii. Just because you guys like his throwing motion, and it was effective in the WAC, doesn't mean it'll fly in the NFL.

No, actually the problem is if Colt's 3/4th release (it's not sidearm) is negatively affecting his performance. As long as he's getting it from Point A to Point B on time and on target then the only issue with it is strictly cosmetic. In other words, WHO GIVES A **** AS LONG AS HE GETS THE JOB DONE? I could see if this guy was constantly getting his passes batted down at the line of scrimmage but that hasn't been the case. I feel like a broken record.

First, Zorn is the expert and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

First you had said you're going to be "neutral on the CB coaching", then 1 minute later you un-neutral yourself. It's not that I care, but just wondering why the sudden change in sentiment:D

It hasn't been a problem but it must be a problem because NFL coaches and scouts say it is even though it hasn't been a problem.

Did I get that shoddy logic straight?

it isn't shoddy, he needs to improve his release, and it will make for better accuracy and quickness.

There are around 3 different types of releases, his is one of them, but for certain instances it is better to throw over the shoulder, at 3/4s release or completely sidearm.

stop being so enamored with the guy and think objectively, we want Brennan to be good, he is a Redskin. We aren't so critical of every single one of the players on that roster just for our health.

First you had said you're going to be "neutral on the CB coaching", then 1 minute later you un-neutral yourself. It's not that I care, but just wondering why the sudden change in sentiment:D

Man, I've never been on a forum that everyone read so fast. You caught me on that one. I am neutral as I have seen Brennan play and he gets the job done. However, Zorn is THE expert now because he is CBs head coach. If your boss says to do something you do it.

I'm sure that the reasoning may not seem apparent to most fans but you better believe there IS a reason. CBs future success will reflect on Zorn somewhat so of course he wants CB to be the best he can be.

If Zorn is the guy to set CB on his path to success then hooray beer.....errrr. Period, end of story.

Man, I've never been on a forum that everyone read so fast. You caught me on that one. I am neutral as I have seen Brennan play and he gets the job done. However, Zorn is THE expert now because he is CBs head coach. If your boss says to do something you do it.

I'm sure that the reasoning may not seem apparent to most fans but you better believe there IS a reason. CBs future success will reflect on Zorn somewhat so of course he wants CB to be the best he can be.

If Zorn is the guy to set CB on his path to success then hooray beer.....errrr. Period, end of story.

Jon Gruden = QB guru

Rich Gannon = Sidearm thrower

Gannon led the league in passing with the Raiders and took them to the superbowl.

No, actually the problem is if Colt's 3/4th release (it's not sidearm) is negatively affecting his performance. As long as he's getting it from Point A to Point B on time and on target then the only issue with it is strictly cosmetic. In other words, WHO GIVES A **** AS LONG AS HE GETS THE JOB DONE? I could see if this guy was constantly getting his passes batted down at the line of scrimmage but that hasn't been the case. I feel like a broken record.
It hasn't been a problem but it must be a problem because NFL coaches and scouts say it is even though it hasn't been a problem.

Did I get that shoddy logic straight?

I will say this one more time. Zorn is basing his decisions on whats best for the Redskins, not what pleases the state of Hawaii.

Let's try this for some logic:

What works in the WAC, doesn't always work in the NFL. Face it.

it isn't shoddy, he needs to improve his release, and it will make for better accuracy and quickness.

There are around 3 different types of releases, his is one of them, but for certain instances it is better to throw over the shoulder, at 3/4s release or completely sidearm.

stop being so enamored with the guy and think objectively, we want Brennan to be good, he is a Redskin. We aren't so critical of every single one of the players on that roster just for our health.

Exactly, for him to insinuate that Zorn is changing his motion, thus making Brennan worse is not only appaling but retardedly stupid.

It's an F'en THROWING MOTION, Zorn is trying to make him better, not worse.

Jon Gruden = QB guru

Rich Gannon = Sidearm thrower

Gannon led the league in passing with the Raiders and took them to the superbowl.

Rich Gannon = old when he won the Super Bowl so changing it was too late.

Tell me, does CB's sidearm throwing motion give you such a hard on that you're mad at Zorn for changing it? I can't understand why anyone would disagree with someoen trying to make mancrush better.

I will say this one more time. Zorn is basing his decisions on whats best for the Redskins, not what pleases the state of Hawaii.

Let's try this for some logic:

What works in the WAC, doesn't always work in the NFL. Face it.

Exactly, for him to insinuate that Zorn is changing his motion, thus making Brennan worse is not only appaling but retardedly stupid.

It's an F'en THROWING MOTION, Zorn is trying to make him better, not worse.

When you mess with someone's throwing motion you can actually make them worse especially when it's been working for them just fine. For one, you slow down his release.

And it didn't just work in the WAC.

Against Washington: 42 of 50 (84% - that damn sidearm inaccuracy), 442 yards, 5 TD 0 Int.

Against Arizona State in their previous bowl game: 33 of 42 (78%) 559 yards, 5 TDs, 1 Int.

Those weren't WAC schools so there goes your wack argument.

When you mess with someone's throwing motion you can actually make them worse especially when it's been working for them just fine. For one, you slow down his release.

And it didn't just work in the WAC.

Against Washington: 42 of 50 (84% - that damn sidearm inaccuracy), 442 yards, 5 TD 0 Int.

Against Arizona State in their previous bowl game: 33 of 42 (78%) 559 yards, 5 TDs, 1 Int.

Those weren't WAC schools so there goes your wack argument.

Oh yeah, I forgot the NFL-caliber powerhouse defenses of Washington and Arizona State. :rolleyes:

How was he against Georgia again? Even when he had some protection he couldn't do crap.

And whats this you guys stress? When he rolls out of the pocket he's able to do "magical" things? He did that a few times against Georgia too...only magic I saw was terrible QB'ing.

Tell me man, why are you here? To tell us our coach sucks for changing the Lord Colt Brennan's throwing motion? Cause that's all you seem to be stressing.

Rich Gannon = old when he won the Super Bowl so changing it was too late.

Rich Gannon didn't win the superbowl.

2002: 4689 yards, 67%, 26 TDs 10 Ints. Sidearm.

It seems to me there wasn't a need to change him regardless of how old he was.

But nevermind results, it's sidearm and it's wrong.

I think I'll go argue with a 10 year old. It'd be more productive.

I wonder if eagle fans had the same problem on there Board with timmy chang disscussions? What ever happened to Timmy anyway?

Only people related to Chang gave a hoot about his chances at the NFL level. Who knows WTF he's doiing now...I'm sure a relative would know:laugh:

Rich Gannon didn't win the superbowl.

2002: 4689 yards, 67%, 26 TDs 10 Ints. Sidearm.

It seems to me there wasn't a need to change him regardless of how old he was.

But nevermind results, it's sidearm and it's wrong.

I think I'll go argue with a 10 year old. It'd be more productive.

Meh. I apologize for insulting your Lord Colt Brennan. I'll say twenty Hail June Jones to repent.

Besides, you can't give me a clear understanding of how you're opinion is greater than Zorn's so arguing with a 10 year old might be more productive...10 year olds dont know the meaning of "bandwagon fan"

ummm.... whenever I've seen comments from Coach Zorn re CB, he mentions stuff like footwork and working from the bottom up.

I say- let the Coach coach and let's just be fans, eh? :cheers:

Why does every other conversation have to be a pissing match?

:doh::doh::doh::doh:

Little homework assignment for Colt fans. Check what Skins fans were saying about Campbell's throwing motion before Zorn got here.

I've already seen people knocking JC down for his Andre Woodson-like windup. I don't know if it ever was that bad, but JC's motion looks good now (to me).

AndreWoodson2.jpg

I learned early that arguing what a quarterback did in college will get you nowhere here and what a quarterback did in college will only get him drafted and no farther in the NFL. It's all about now.

I do agree with RocketCitySkins, College helps you get drafted. Thats it, you can fall like Ryan Leaf or stand tall like Peyton Manning. Every star college quarterback was someones hero at one point.

Only thing we can do is analyze pre-season game stats. I for one enjoy trying to compare the Rookie QB stats against Colt.

So far I say the biggest bust is Joe "Fraud" Flacco. Some salesman really sold the "Sizzle" and not the steak on that one.

ummm.... whenever I've seen comments from Coach Zorn re CB, he mentions stuff like footwork and working from the bottom up.

I say- let the Coach coach and let's just be fans, eh? :cheers:

Why does every other conversation have to be a pissing match?

:doh::doh::doh::doh:

Liz, I think its actually a decoy, people have to say something a little bad if they give Colt praises to deflect any hints of a Man Crush on him!!!:silly:

Just listen to John Madden, he had a closet Man Crush on Colt at the HOF game!!!!

How was he against Georgia again? Even when he had some protection he couldn't do crap.

Just a correction, Colt never had protection. Howard was getting to Colt in about 1-2 seconds. Also Zorn is more worried about his footwork and decision making. He'll work on the throwing motion gradually. There have been a few cases where changing of the QBs throwing motion mad the QB ineffective.

PS Colts throwing accuracy percentage at 70+% was achieved on an almost pure passing offense which makes it that much more remarkable. Simple mathematics makes it hard to beat with the shear amount of passes he made.

Archived