Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Campbell was perfect yesterday

Burgold

He was smooth accurate and poised. He did it against a vanilla defense, but against a team that will probably be a Superbowl contender. But no matter how many "buts" you want to throw in there... Campbell in his first outing for the new head coach, under yet another system did everything asked of him about as well as you could hope for.

Hail to the 'skins.

His decision making looked good. He was quick on his passes and it seems like he got rid of the wind up throwing motion he had. It was very easy to cause fumbles on that and it happened a lot last year.

and of course the pass protection was good for him for once. Except the one play where Jansen got destroyed.

He looked good, confident. I want to see him in the fourth quarter, or any quarter when we get down. He made a couple of late game mistakes last year and I want to see how he does this year, especially w/ coach Zorn on the sidelines.

I have been a supporter of Campbell throughout the whole time. And I want him to succeed so bad so I can cram it down all the haters throats. But I guarantee if he does become a good QB in this league, the people who were once saying he sucked will be acting like they thought he was good the whole time. But if he doesn't succeed I will be the first to admit I was wrong.

Burgold, he did looked poised in the offense, and I've noticed he's throwing with a lot more touch with his first 5 attempts. Yes the defense was about as vanilla for the first pre-season game, but hopefully JC can be in mid-season form by the 2nd or 3rd pre-season game. This is looking very bright.

Campbell played very well, and i was watching his mechanics and they are much improved from last year. He didnt really look like the same qb. His motion and footwork were alot smoother and you have to give credit to Zorn for really working with JC to improve his game.

He took a sack.

So not perfect.

Promising, no doubt.

Taking a sack versus throwing a bad pass, fumbling, or throwing a pick is not actually a negative. On the sack, he had no chance. He protected the ball and the lead.

Sometimes taking a sack is a good thing.

The redskins have been a really good team for years. They've been great on defense, and they've had a lot of potential on offense. Gibbs suffocated this team by holding it back from a schematic and philosophical point of view. I had a feeling this team would immediately improve on offense just with a new head coach that was willing to be more aggressive, and it's starting to show already. Let Campbell do what he can do, and we'll be really good.

Burgold, your posts today are pumping me up. Well done. Such a nice change of pace from the "sky is falling" crowd.

Ya know, when we recovered that onside kick and had the short field to work with, I could just feel it. I said to myself, we'll be in the end zone in no time. I can't explain it, but I was just confident about this. And JC and crew didn't disappoint.

He took a sack.

So not perfect.

Promising, no doubt.

Actually pal, the QB rating does not factor in sacks. JC's QB rating for the night was a PERFECT 158.33333333333334. That's the highest rating possible.

I know this much...

A promising pre-season performance from our quarterbacks sure as hell beats seeing them struggle, as has been the case in recent years during the exhibition schedule.

Whether the pre-season is indicative of what might transpire during the regular season or not, I for one would much rather have our guys go into week one knowing that they've put together some good performances.

This team needs to build confidence, especially with the likes of the Cowboys and defending champion Giants in the division.

If a strong pre-season helps in building the confidence, then so be it. I'll take it.

He took a sack.

So not perfect.

Promising, no doubt.

:laugh:

Campbell had nothing to do with that sack.

The only criticism I can think of regarding Campbell was the pass short of the marker on 3rd down. I don't know if that was the right read or not as I couldn't see enough of the play (I don't know if the other receivers were covered).

Regardless, he looked sharp, confident, and entirely on the same page as his receivers. You can't ask for more in an early preseason game in a new passing offense.

:laugh:

Campbell had nothing to do with that sack.

The only criticism I can think of regarding Campbell was the pass short of the marker on 3rd down. I don't know if that was the right read or not as I couldn't see enough of the play (I don't know if the other receivers were covered).

Regardless, he looked sharp, confident, and entirely on the same page as his receivers. You can't ask for more in an early preseason game in a new passing offense.

I blamed that on the receiver (Cooley wasn't it?) for not getting past the marker. Then again, it was Cooley who is almost always there to get YAC. So maybe that was the play design. Who knows.

He took a sack.

So not perfect.

Promising, no doubt.

True, he did take a sack but I really don't see what else he could have done with it. I'm not even sure he was finished his dropback before he defense was all over him.

Sometimes taking a sack and not trying to fling it out into the middle of the field IS a good thing. It isn't like coaches tell their QBs to never take a sack. Sometimes it's necessary.

Archived