Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do Pro Bowls Count for Anything ? ? ?

ImRickJamesB

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Do Pro Bowls count as a credential in a football debate or not?

Many people say that the Pro Bowl's nothing but popularity contest,

BUT

the fans voting counts for 1-third,

the players account for 1-third,

and the coaches vote counts for 1-third...

So 2-thirds of the decision is in the hands of NFL personnel.... I would think they'd know better than most, who is deserving... Afterall, they're the ones who have to face them and game-plan for them....

If you look at the Pro Bowl rosters, I think you'd find that 95% of those players, definitely deserve to be there... Sure there are going to be some snubs, but that doesn't mean that the player who did make it, was not deserving in his own right... So IMO, the Pro Bowl still counts for something (unless it's Roy ;)).....

What do y'all think?

probowls back in the day counted for something when only the players voted on it. now not so much. arent you a cowboys fan? what are you trying to get people to slip into validating some how that so many undeserving cowboys went to the probowl last year?

Popularity contest.

Too many fans don't really know enough about the players outside of their team or division, especially at the less glitzy positions.

Most of the time the players that go to Hawaii are good, you aren't going to see a Brandon Lloyd representing the NFC but its still based on popularity and media coverage.

I don't really understand the "count for something" thing. Count for what? It's not like the MLB All-Star game, where there is a reward for the winner. Since it's after the Super Bowl and has zero ramifications, it's nothing more than a showcase of the league's top talent.

Every year a couple guys will get snubbed that deserved to be invited, and a couple guys might be there that were not quite as good as some other players. But I think for the most part, the fans, the NFL, and the players/coaches get it right. It's not hard to distinguish the best of the best, and if someone truly excels at their position, they deserve a nod to the Pro Bowl - and get it 99% of the time.

The way your question is worded however, doesn't really make much sense to me though.

ps. is this Redskins related (in the right forum)?

I think the all-star voting for all sports are popularity contests. I think the NFL gets it more right than other sports though. I mean in the NBA for instance a player can play 15 games out of 82 nad be an all-star. In football if a player plays like 5 games his name won't even be on the ballot no matter how popular he is. I've seen Chris Webber put up 20 points and 10 boards one year and not make the all-star team. I there's only one other player to do that and not make it.

I put yes for the pro bowl meaning something but only as it pertains to the other sports' all star games.

Judging by the fact that voting starts with months left in the season, and also by the shear number of 'make sure to vote for ...' threads that pop up on here around that time - I'd say it's a popularity contest.

In my opinion, no. I hate it when people argue that someone should be in the HoF because of the number or Pro Bowls they made or that someone shouldn't be in because of the lack of Pro Bowls they played (Art Monk for instance).

Pro Bowls mean nothing.

Hail,

H

I don't really understand the "count for something" thing. Count for what? The way your question is worded however, doesn't really make much sense to me though.QUOTE]

I agree. Very weird way of wording a question and what exactly are you looking for?

From what I gather, you are questioning the legitimacy of the Pro Bowl selection. Then you must ask, what the purpose is. I suppose it is to showcase the best talent or players based on performance for that year for an exhibition game. HOWEVER, sometimes production by certain players isn't always what people or should I say fans want to see.

The system is a joke.

If you look at the Pro Bowl rosters, I think you'd find that 95% of those players, definitely deserve to be there... Sure there are going to be some snubs, but that doesn't mean that the player who did make it, was not deserving in his own right... So IMO, the Pro Bowl still counts for something (unless it's Roy ;)).....

What do y'all think?

I wouldn't say 95%. I'd say closer to 75%. 95% probably deserve to be in the discussion but when you are talking about certain positions evaluation is completely subjective and unless you watch each player pretty much every single game you don't get a complete picture. Even now there are heated discussions on these boards whether Jason Taylor is good against the run, bad against the run or average against the run. We are talking about avid football who feel strongly in opposite directions because they haven't watched him week in and week out.

It's BS, sorry. Firstly, as already stated, the voting is decided before the end of the season most times. Secondly, that fans get to vote definitely influences the outcome and name recognition plays a large role. Please dont tell me you think the average casual fan knows who to vote for in terms of offensive line, etc. Thirdly, the fact that coaches and players get to vote doesn't add validity to the process. These guy hardly have the time during the season to worry about their probowl ballots. None of the three voting groups are impartial.

I don't know what "counts for something" means in this context.

But what I do know is that Pro Bowl players tend to be the top players at their positions. And yes, they are partly based on fame, but fame usually comes to players that excel.

How many times do you see third string players get in the Pro Bowl? Never. How many times do scrubs like Joey Harrington, TJ Duckett, DeShaun Foster, or Kyle Boeller make the Pro Bowl? Never. But, how many times do you see guys like Brady, Manning, LT, Walter Jones, or Derrick Brooks in the Pro Bowl? Every year. And why are those guys in the Pro Bowl every year? Because they are the best players at their positions.

To act like there is no correlation between being a Pro Bowler and being a top player in the league is absurd. Sure there may be exceptions to the rule, but the rule applies enough to be a rule.

And just ask the players. Sean Taylor said it was an honor to go to the Pro Bowl. That should pretty much answer the question.

as many have said, the selection process is largely flawed, but as far as counting for something, a big YES... players contracts have pro bowl incentives, the hall of fame selection relies heavily on the number of pro bowls a player has been to as does a player's legacy...

if they were nothing more than recognition and a free week in hawaii, I wouldn't care, but they do factor considerably into certain player's careers and contracts, which makes the popularity contest aspect of it a shame..

I don't know what "counts for something" means in this context.

But what I do know is that Pro Bowl players tend to be the top players at their positions. And yes, they are partly based on fame, but fame usually comes to players that excel.

How many times do you see third string players get in the Pro Bowl? Never. How many times do scrubs like Joey Harrington, TJ Duckett, DeShaun Foster, or Kyle Boeller make the Pro Bowl? Never. But, how many times do you see guys like Brady, Manning, LT, Walter Jones, or Derrick Brooks in the Pro Bowl? Every year. And why are those guys in the Pro Bowl every year? Because they are the best players at their positions.

To act like there is no correlation between being a Pro Bowler and being a top player in the league is absurd. Sure there may be exceptions to the rule, but the rule applies enough to be a rule.

And just ask the players. Sean Taylor said it was an honor to go to the Pro Bowl. That should pretty much answer the question.

:notworthy :applause: :applause: Well said. :applause: :applause:

I selected no, but I'm kinda in between.

Some players definitely deserve to be there, while others make you scratch your head.

I mean, how did Fred Taylor miss out all those years. Yes there were other good backs that made it in over him, but he's a damn good RB when healthy.

I dunno, pro bowls and all star games are mostly popularity contests, so, whatever.

Archived