Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do Pro Bowls Count for Anything ? ? ?

ImRickJamesB

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

The mere fact that Barber went over Portis, Randy Thomas has never been, and the fact that Mike Sellers didn't go last year, make it BS IMO.

So Sean Taylor was an idiot for considering it an honor? I mean, you've declared that the Pro Bowl is BS, so I guess you assumed Sean Taylor just wasted his time in going and should have ignored it?

So Sean Taylor was an idiot for considering it an honor? I mean, you've declared that the Pro Bowl is BS, so I guess you assumed Sean Taylor just wasted his time in going and should have ignored it?

No.

If he considers it an honor that's excellent, it is supposed to be the best players in the NFL. However, when players like Roy Williams and Alstott get multiple Pro Bowl selections you realize that quite a bit of it is a popularity contest.

I think the all-star voting for all sports are popularity contests. I think the NFL gets it more right than other sports though. I mean in the NBA for instance a player can play 15 games out of 82 nad be an all-star. In football if a player plays like 5 games his name won't even be on the ballot no matter how popular he is. I've seen Chris Webber put up 20 points and 10 boards one year and not make the all-star team. I there's only one other player to do that and not make it.

I put yes for the pro bowl meaning something but only as it pertains to the other sports' all star games.

Tony Romo sits to pee? He played in what, 7 games in 2006 and made the pro bowl. It does happen.

I like when people throw this out. In the NFC what safety should have gone instead?

Gibril Wilson for the Giants

pro-bowl games are nice for the fans to watch, and to go out and get jerseys.

The players like it, and thier agents like it even more. Pro-bowls mean more $$ and less cap room.

All-Pro's on the otherhand, are very telling and meaningful. You can bet that the players you see on that list are the real deal.

Fans have 1/3 of the vote. More than enough to control the outcome. Think about it. Let's say a Lion's defender gets the majority of the coaches and player votes, not an overwhelming majority-but a majority none the less, and hardly any fan votes. He will lose to the Cowboy's defender that got some of the coaches and player votes, but almost all of the fan votes. That's why so many undeserving Dallas players went last year. 13 is just ridiculous. If they truly had 13 starting all-stars on their team they would have been 19-0. It is a popularity contest. Which sucks, because the mediots always talk about pro-bowls when it comes to the hall-of-fame.

A biased and too much of a popularity contest. Roy Williams didn't do anything last year and went to the Pro Bowl. The players and coaches in the NFC don't say "OH we fear Roy Williams and he is better than any safety in the league." That is Bull****. He isn't even in the top 5 of safeties you would want on your team, unless you are a Cowboy fan. Osi from the Giants didn't deserve to be there either. The only reason he made it was due to one game against the Eagles when he abused a rookie tackle otherwise he would only have 6 or 7 sacks all year. Like I said a biased popularity contest.

A biased and too much of a popularity contest. Roy Williams didn't do anything last year and went to the Pro Bowl. The players and coaches in the NFC don't say "OH we fear Roy Williams and he is better than any safety in the league." That is Bull****. He isn't even in the top 5 of safeties you would want on your team, unless you are a Cowboy fan. Osi from the Giants didn't deserve to be there either. The only reason he made it was due to one game against the Eagles when he abused a rookie tackle otherwise he would only have 6 or 7 sacks all year. Like I said a biased popularity contest.

I know, without the Winston Justice game, Osi ain't ****. Hype hype hype hype hype. Gotta love the media.

Not really. Players get a free vacation to Hawaii for themselves and their family. $20,000(minimum). Bonuses for reaching contract incentives. A likely increase in the number of paying advertisement jobs they get offered. They get to network with numerous other highly paid athletes. And at the very least they get to see their faces on TV for another week. Winning a popularity contest can deliver a bunch of perks.

I think it is a combination of talent and popularity. Of course you have to be a starter, and a talented starter at that. Popularity is what pushes people over the top. That's usually achieve with consistency throughout multiplte seasons. Personality and media also contribute.

I don't know what "counts for something" means in this context.

There seems to be a lot of people who didn't like/understand the way I worded the question, and I agree, I definitely could've worded it better....

What I meant to ask... Is doesn't a player at least have to be one of the best players at his position, in order to make the Pro Bowl ? ? ?

To act like there is no correlation between being a Pro Bowler and being a top player in the league is absurd. Sure there may be exceptions to the rule, but the rule applies enough to be a rule.

You said it perfectly! Great post on your part!

Exactly! That doesn't mean that every player that deserves to go, will get to go... There's always more players that deserve to go, than get to go... That's why it's such an honor...

Just because a player from your team was left-out, that doesn't mean that the player who goes in his place is not also a top-performer at that position...

For Example: Maybe Marion Barber deserved the Pro Bowl more than Portis, maybe he didn't.... But if it weren't Barber taking Clinton's roster spot, it could've been Steven Jackson, Frank Gore, Ryan Grant or Brandon Jacobs.... All of those players were just as deserving of a Pro Bowl as Barber or Portis.... As I said, not everybody who derserves to go, will get to go... But in the end, the hands-down best 2 RB's in the NFC last season (Peterson and Westbrook), are right where they should be, starting and playing in the Pro Bowl... Portis, Jackson, Barber, Gore, etc; Those guys were all on the bubble for the last RB position... So IMO the system worked, the only 2 players who really stood out at that position (Peterson & Westbrook), made the team...

I have a feeling the results of this poll would've been reversed, if the Redskins had sent 13 to the Pro Bowl last year... Perhaps the next poll should question human integrity...

I have a feeling the results of this poll would've been reversed, if the Redskins had sent 13 to the Pro Bowl last year... Perhaps the next poll should question human integrity...

Weak. We knew the pro-bowl was B.S. years ago. Try and catch up.

Yes, and I'm sure your viewpoint on the Pro Bowl would remain the same if the Skins had 13 Pro Bowl players while the Cowboys only had a few players make it, with none of them starters.

Perhaps the next poll should question hypocricy and holier-than-though attitudes instead.

Is this thread a way of trying to justify all of the cowboys that made the pro bowl last year? Anyways, the pro bowl doesn't mean **** anymore, except for the trip to hawaii and the bonus check the winning conference gets. So many deserving players get left out over much less deserving players. Mario Williams is an example off the top of my head, he had 14 sacks, numerous forced fumbles.

What I meant to ask... Is doesn't a player at least have to be one of the best players at his position, in order to make the Pro Bowl ? ? ?

Your question misses an important point: every team in the league has "one of the best players" in at least some of their units. So every team should have at least a few Pro Bowl members, just in terms of averages. Yet there are teams that have zero Pro Bowl players. Is it because those teams just have zero top players across the board on their roster?

The reality is that Pro Bowl apperances are almost exclusively connected to the teams' records. It's also connected to how many times a team plays in a nationally televised game. Players and coaches do not equally evaluate every player in the league, and fans definitely do not. The exposure on Sunday and Monday night games helps get them recognition...teams that play half their schedule on the national stage will have a better chance of sending their players to the Pro Bowl than teams that only appear in nationally televised games once or twice.

Also, name recognition plays a huge role in the voting, by fans AND players.

It's far more name recognition and popularity contest than it is an accurate measure of seasonal performances. Anyone who thinks Pro Bowl voting is based on a true understanding of each invidivual's performances and on astute football knowledge is as dense as a bag of hammers. Retarded hammers.

I think it means something to the players as it is an honor to go a highlight in thier career .

I think the fans will always see players snubbed . The voteing is flawed . Fans can have far too much of an impact of who goes, the vote closes far too soon, not sure why they cannot start the fan voteing in the playoffs .

Some players get in when they are not the most deserving . It is hard to judge OL, some players stand out but for the Boys to send 3 from a line that neither had a 1000 yard rusher and were 15th overall in team rushing yards/game and gave up a midle of the road 24 sacks you have to question the process .

The fan vote should be much less important accounting for maybe 10% of the vote . I cannot imagine based off the attitude of fans on this board a cowboys fan voting for Laron Landry over Hamlin or Samuels over Adams and really vise versa . I would never of voted for Marrion Barber over Portis...

Judging by the fact that voting starts with months left in the season, and also by the shear number of 'make sure to vote for ...' threads that pop up on here around that time - I'd say it's a popularity contest.
Exactly. There's no good reason why voting should end before the season does. Clinton Portis always does his best work in December. The Cowboys always fall apart at that time of year, so their numbers look awesome when it's time to vote. The most important time of the season doesn't count. That's garbage.

Archived