Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shawn Andrews battling mental problems

No Excuses

From rotoworld.com:

Eagles G Shawn Andrews' absence from training camp "has to do with personal problems and Andrews' mental state," according to SI.com's Peter King.

King says sources have assured him Andrews isn't upset with his contract. Andrews' text message stating "My journey is just rough right now" seemingly points to depression. It's unclear when he will be back with Philadelphia. Jul. 30 - 4:14 pm et

hmm poor guy... hope he makes through it.

The thing is, he keeps telling teammates "no worries. I'm working through this and I'll be to camp soon."

What kind of problem is so pressing that you need to withhold from camp to get things straightened out, all the while knowing it will be over soon and all is fine?

It's all so strange.

The thing is, he keeps telling teammates "no worries. I'm working through this and I'll be to camp soon."

What kind of problem is so pressing that you need to withhold from camp to get things straightened out, all the while knowing it will be over soon and all is fine?

It's all so strange.

Let's just say the man IS indeed gay, I'm pretty sure he's worried about how he's going to be treated in the locker room.

lol, you can't just skip out on camp and say "I'm too depressed to play"

They should fine him. He's probably depressed about training camp hell that Andy runs.

I don't understand that. If he is really depressed than certainly a doctor could tell the team that. It may not be widely accepted but why would a "mental injury" be treated that much different than a physical one? Shawn andrews is a pro bowler and a decent guy who loves the game of football and the eagles. He isn't faking a mental problem to avoid camp. It has to be very embarrassing to him to not be at camp because of "mental problems". I would think in a league as progressive as the NFL they would identify depression as a legitimate illness and treat this like any other injury. Fining him doesn't seem right to me under those circumstances. I agree you can't just say "I am too depressed to go to camp" but A) Andrews wouldn't do that and B) there are doctors who would be able to identify malingering if that were the case.

lol, you can't just skip out on camp and say "I'm too depressed to play"

They should fine him. He's probably depressed about training camp hell that Andy runs.

You have obviously never suffered or known anyone who has suffered from depression. Its not a joke, and its not like you can just slap him across the face and say "snap out of it." Its a serious disease, and can be quite debilitating.

Archived