Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shawn Andrews battling mental problems

No Excuses

You have obviously never suffered or known anyone who has suffered from depression. Its not a joke, and its not like you can just slap him across the face and say "snap out of it." Its a serious disease, and can be quite debilitating.

Depression is certainly a very real ailment. It's also, like any psychological disorder, an extremely subjective diagnosis. Treating a subjective mental disorder, regardless of how legitimate it may be, as an objective phsical injury, sets a dangerous precedent.

There are plenty of guys in the league who don't like football very much. For right or wrong, no team is ever going to treat this situation the way a psychiatrist thinks is right.

Being a Pro Bowler, and if he really is gay, he could be a pioneer by coming out. It may be embarrassing initially but as long as he sticks to business and doesn't flaunt it, leaguewide acceptance could follow although it would likely be a bit slow in coming. Still, it could help a lot of gay athletes, in general, gain acceptance.

Then again, Philly has got to be a tough place to be outed and still play at a Pro Bowl level. The pressure of being this type of pioneer in the NFL would have to be enormous. Other players will try to use it to gain a psychological advantage.

If it is indeed depression and has nothing to do with his sexual orientation then, hopefully, doctors can get him on medication that will get him close enough to normal to play.

Whatever his demons, hopefully he can overcome them.

I don't understand that. If he is really depressed than certainly a doctor could tell the team that.
I agree you can't just say "I am too depressed to go to camp"

This is exactly my point. If there are doctors involved, then the Eagles would have to address it as a medical issue. They are not. They are calling it a personal issue.

You can't just not show up to camp. You will get fined, and rightly so. I don't care if he's queer or not. If it's a mental issue, then doctors at Novacare have a right to be evaluating him. He's under contract and is REQUIRED to play. This is not diminishing mental illness. Illness or not, there are still ramifications to your actions. In his case, he gets fined. Case closed.

From rotoworld.com:

Eagles G Shawn Andrews' absence from training camp "has to do with personal problems and Andrews' mental state," according to SI.com's Peter King.

King says sources have assured him Andrews isn't upset with his contract. Andrews' text message stating "My journey is just rough right now" seemingly points to depression. It's unclear when he will be back with Philadelphia. Jul. 30 - 4:14 pm et

hmm poor guy... hope he makes through it.

Depression can be very rough. I hope he's getting the proper help.

This is exactly my point. If there are doctors involved, then the Eagles would have to address it as a medical issue. They are not. They are calling it a personal issue.

You can't just not show up to camp. You will get fined, and rightly so. I don't care if he's queer or not. If it's a mental issue, then doctors at Novacare have a right to be evaluating him. He's under contract and is REQUIRED to play. This is not diminishing mental illness. Illness or not, there are still ramifications to your actions. In his case, he gets fined. Case closed.

I was actually going to jump on you Dockery fan but then I read your last post and Iyour right .

I have known a number of people with real mental problems and they have gone through hell . A lot of that hell is pretending to be fine when everything isn't fine because the people I am thinking of are very intelligent and sucessful people... i am sure if they thought all they needed was a few snaps of the fingers and there all better I am sure they would have gone for it .

I also know alot of people who play on mental illness as a reason for poor performance or a cover for other things .

While I hope Shawn Andrews is getting all the care he needs I find it strange that the team is fining him ( according to reports) and as DF said this is being handled as a personal not a medical problem .

This does put me in mind of the man mountin Dimitrius Underwood

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimitrius_Underwood

I just hope this has a happier ending . Andrews always seemed like a great football player .

Yea, I think I am a bit confused over what's happening. He is saying that he won't report to camp because of "mental issues" but he won't talk to any of the iggles Doctors? Your right then. That is a different story. If he has a legitimate mental condition he should get evaluated by the docs and then he will be treated like anyone else with an injury or illness that keeps them out of camp. Sorry bout that. I don't think I understood what he was doing. Either way I hope he is ok and wish him the best but your right, if he won't submit to an eval, he can't avoid being fined. He is a multimillion dollar commodity relative to the organization and they have a right to know what's going on and keeping him away frmo work just like any employer would.

Being a Pro Bowler, and if he really is gay, he could be a pioneer by coming out. It may be embarrassing initially but as long as he sticks to business and doesn't flaunt it, leaguewide acceptance could follow although it would likely be a bit slow in coming. Still, it could help a lot of gay athletes, in general, gain acceptance.

Then again, Philly has got to be a tough place to be outed and still play at a Pro Bowl level. The pressure of being this type of pioneer in the NFL would have to be enormous. Other players will try to use it to gain a psychological advantage.

If it is indeed depression and has nothing to do with his sexual orientation then, hopefully, doctors can get him on medication that will get him close enough to normal to play.

Whatever his demons, hopefully he can overcome them.

:applause: Couldn't have said it better myself.

Archived