Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"The New" ESPN Radio 980 *updated w/ Red Zebra press release*

sly

Today Red Zebra Broadcasting announced the lineup for their new Washington DC based all sports property, ESPN 980. Effective Monday, July 21, ESPN 980 will feature a mix of national and local sports talk talent. The lineup will be:

6am-10am – ESPN Radio’s Mike and Mike in the Morning featuring Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic

10am-Noon – ESPN Radio’s The Herd with Colin Cowherd

Noon-2pm – The Locker Room with Doc Walker & Kevin Sheehan

2pm-4pm – The John Thompson Show with Brian Mitchell and Al Koken

4pm-7pm – The Sports Reporters with Steve Czaban and Andy Pollin

In addition, ESPN 980 will feature Hall of Famer John Riggins with his unique opinions on Redskins GameDay programming, Redskins Monday programming, and as an expert analyst and commentator on all of ESPN 980’s sports talk programs.

ESPN 980 will be heard on 980am and will be simulcast on Red Zebra’s three other area signals; WWXT – 92.7FM, WWXX 94.3FM and WXTR 730AM. The station’s programming will be streamed live 24/7 at ESPN980.com, including a live stream of every Washington Redskins game.

“With the acquisition of the legendary WTEM, we are blessed with a plethora of terrific sports talk talent,” said Dennis Glasgow, VP of Operations for Red Zebra. “Our diverse and talented hosts will deliver hot sports opinions throughout the day designed to provoke, entertain and enlighten DC radio listeners. This is going to be a very fun and very active radio station that caters to sports fans in Maryland, Virginia and DC,” Glasgow added.

In addition to the mix of ESPN and local sports talk programs, ESPN 980 will feature the play by play of Larry Michael and the legendary Hall of Famers Sonny Jurgensen and Sam Huff with color commentary on every Washington Redskins game. And starting with the first Redskins game – the Hall of Fame Game – on August 3 former Redskin Rick “Doc” Walker will join Larry, Sonny and Sam as the sideline reporter on every Redskins Game Day broadcast.

In addition to the Redskins, ESPN 980 will feature Washington Wizards basketball, Baltimore Orioles baseball, Virginia Tech football and basketball, ESPN Sunday Night Baseball, The MLB Playoffs and World Series, The BCS, The NBA Finals, Monday Night Football and the NCAA College Basketball Tournament.

Originial message:

From www.dcrtv.com

New "ESPN 980" Officially Unveils Sked - 7/18 - More on Dan Snyder's takeover plans for SportsTalk 980, which will also be heard on the three frequencies of his soon-to-be-former Triple X sports talker. Larry Michael, Sonny Jurgensen, and Sam Huff will return to provide game-day coverage for Snyder's Redskins on all four signals - 980 and 730 AM, and 92.7 and 94.3 FM. Come 7/21, the line-up of the new "ESPN 980" WTEM quadcast will be: 6 AM Mike and Mike, 10 AM Colin Cowherd, noon "The Locker Room," 2 PM John Thompson, and 4 PM "The Sports Reporters" with Steve Czaban and Andy Pollin. John Riggins, who had aired in afternoon drive on the old Triple X, will provide Redskins game-day contributions and commentary on WTEM's shows. The new website will be espn980.com (not yet working).....

Wait, isn't Cowherd the one who said awful things about Sean while he was still fighting for his life?

If so, does Snyder know about it?

Yes, he did and even if Snyder doesn't know, it probably comes down to the $.

I am not a fan of Cowherd but many people listen to him because, a. they like his show or b. they despise him and he is usually controversial.

I think he tries to bill himself as a sports shock jock. Rome was the original but now Cowherd speaks his mind and talks down to people and if they have a good counterpoint, he hangs up the phone.

Mike & Mike are okay but pretty vanilla. I flip flop between them and Czabe on the old XM. Have not heard Doc's show but look forward to tuning it in since most people give it good reviews.

Yes, he did and even if Snyder doesn't know, it probably comes down to the $.

I am not a fan of Cowherd but many people listen to him because, a. they like his show or b. they despise him and he is usually controversial.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2007/11/colin_cowherd_on_sean_taylor.html

I hadn't read exactly what he said, but this is the transcript which only confirms the fact that Cowherd is a piece of crap, nothing more than a wanna-be sports shock jock.

Shapiro isn't much better, another lowlife that has little journalistic integrity. His son writes for Tech's paper and he's an arrogant moron that needs to be put in his place.

These guys are doing nothing but polluting the airwaves, plain and simple.

Way to go Snyder, nice to see where you're values lie.

DCRTV is reporting that we have one more year of Larry' date=' Sonny and Sam.

Then it will be Mike Patrick, Joey T, and Riggo.

Which actually is an intriguing idea.[/quote']

I like Mike Patrick and Joey T, I thought they were good on Sunday Night football

We'll see what Riggo adds to it

DCRTV is reporting that we have one more year of Larry' date=' Sonny and Sam.

Then it will be Mike Patrick, Joey T, and Riggo.

Which actually is an intriguing idea.[/quote']

Thats a great pairing and Im excited for that. 980 becoming ESPN sucks. As all of there shows are nothing more then a promotion for espn programming. Hell in fact they rarely take callers and instead have their own "espn heads" as the guest.

Fox radio is much better. I guess its back to FM radio now.

Agree, they should of kept it in the morning just like it was now I'll have to listen in around lunch time, that sucks...

The birdeye's view on weds. is of the chain.

Bright lights

pretty ladies

Showtime

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Mike and Mike aren't that bad, especially during football season. They get guests on the show that Czaban rarely gets. But I'm a loyal listener to 980 anyway so it doesn't matter if they have Mike and Mike or Czaban in the morning. At least I'll get Czaban in the early evening with Andy...........their back and forth banter is hilarious.

My guess is Czaban's days are numbered. You think Snyder will let him continue to flog him on-air any more? Snyder wants pro-Redskin propaganda, not criticism. So what if the team goes 4-12 as long as the stadium is full?

Archived