Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joining the millitary?

RIPSean

Hello to all of you out there on ES...

I am 18 years old and just graduated high school. Career wise, although I have done very well in college placement testing and everyone expects me to go off to college, I want to pursue something different. I hope to someday work as a bodyguard and I am looking for millitary and/or police experience to help me reach this goal. I know a lot of bodyguards served as Marines and as far as millitary goes, the Marines have always seemed appealing to me. From what I know, which isn't very much at all, the Marines put their men through tougher, more demanding training compared to the other forces.

Basically, I am considering joining to better my career options, serve my country, learn discipline, and hopefully become a more complete man.

So I know plenty of you probably have served or are close to someone who has served in the Marines or in the millitary in general. I have some questions...

How long would I likely end up serving?

What is the pay like?

Would I more likely come out of this a strong, disciplined man or an emotionally scarred, brainwashed man?

And any other advice and knowledge would be highly apprecciated. Thanks a lot.

:dallasuck

You join for a minimum of four years

Pays like **** when you first start, although it beats working at McDonalds. BUt seeings how you can make E-7 with the jarheads in two to three years, it gets better over time. BTW, just kidding about the two to three year thing.

My advice is to do some more school and go in as an officer. Pays better.

As for your mental state, just depends what type person you are. If you are already looking to do bodyguard work, you probably already have the mentality to become a baby killer, so you should do fine

Military pay charts: http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/militarypaytables/2008MilitaryPayCharts35.pdf

You can join for less than 4 years, depending on your military specialty. Generally, the more technical the job, the longer you'll have to enlist for. They want to recoup all the money they invest in your training. You do, however, incur an 8 year total commitment to the military. Meaning that if you serve 4 years on active duty, you'll spend another 4 year on Inactive Ready Reserve. Basically you are out the military but they can recall you up to the end of your 8 year commitment.

I'm not real knowledgeable about the Marines, I've been a career Army guy, but there's some general info for you.

As Sarge said the pays not great and the Marines are not really into giving enlistment bonuses(like the other services),I believe for a MP or security job the enlistment is 5 yrs which you must score high enough on ASVAB to qualify for.

There are several screenings to judge your acceptability,and yes the Marine bootcamp is longer and tougher.

Going in as a officer has better pay and perks,just as going to college can get you in most civilian police forces w/o the military experience.

If you are looking for money and better postings Airforce is probably a better choice as well.

My son did not take this advice(enlisted as Marine) and has done well(despite the pay)and gained valuable training and experiences.

You could end up serving the President,or manning a post in Iraq,or a running a jail in Gitmo.....I know young men doing all three.

How you come thru it depends on you and it is not a easy road.

I think the pay issue is one thing. The bigger issue is the calling. If this is something you feel compelled to do than you should do it. If you are looking at it as a stepping stone, then you should think about if it's the best way for you to advance your goals. There are few things more noble than serving your country and putting your life at risk for the ideas, ideals, and citizens of this country, but that doesn't mean that it's right for everyone. I think you have to be sure about this within yourself. What matters to you most: money, career, duty, etc. Based on which of these is heaviest you should have your answer.

If your answer is I'm joining the Marines. Thank you.

I was in the Army, but I do know that doing well on your ASVAB determines what types of MOS can open up for you. As Raub said the total commitment is 8 years. If you enlist for 4 years with the Marines then you are looking at:

• 4 years Active Duty

• 2 years Active Reserve

• 2 years Inactive Reserve

There is a ton of info online, which I did not have in 1987 when I joined the Army. Take advantage of all the resources before talking face to face with a recruiter. Good Luck.

I was in the USMC. You will have to do 8 years total.

4 years active duty

4 years inactive duty

My thoughts are that everybody should join the military for at least 1 enlistment. Even if you only do 4 years active it will change you. You will understand what respect is.

I was in from 1997 till 2001. My MOS was Antitank assultman 0351. I also worked on the rifle ranges at Parris Island. I still live in Beaufort SC, which is were Parris Island is located. If you think anything in my field will help you PM me and i can fill you in.

Good luck.

If you like being a slave or a ho then the military is a great place for you. If you dont want to be a slave or have a whore mentality then start your own business and make money and enjoy life.

Big difference between a soldier and a slave.:mad:

If you like being a slave or a ho then the military is a great place for you. If you dont want to be a slave or have a whore mentality then start your own business and make money and enjoy life.

I take it you are a pimp then or a lawyer? :laugh:

The military is the closest thing to slavery we have now though,you basicly give up rights to assume responsibilities.

Seriously? How could you say that? Learn some respect.

Big difference between a soldier and a slave.:mad:

A soldier takes care of somebody elses problems, takes orders and do what is commanded for next to nothing. While the person in control sits on their ass, getting richer and enjoys life. The millitary is another form of slavery!

A soldier takes care of somebody elses problems, takes orders and do what is commanded for next to nothing. While the person in control sits on their ass, getting richer and enjoys life. The millitary is another form of slavery!

So that makes you a slave owner?

They work for you and your benefit,while you "start your own business and make money and enjoy life"

A pimp AND a slave owner, my aren't you proud :silly:

Dude, it may sound harsh but its the truth.

The problem is, a lot of guys might enjoy it and want to be there. The OP sounds like he is "The Perfect fit", for someone who would enjoy it, not to mention he wants to serve OUR country.

If it is a slavery job for some reason many guys on this board have made a career out of it. I am not sure how long it takes to retire, however if you choose to be a "slave" or a 'ho" for something like 20 years you get to retire young and have a pension for the rest of your life. Not a bad deal.

I am assuming you served and didn't like it?

Where did you come from? You sound bitter and angry. :doh:

Really, I'm reading this and thinking the guy is somewhere between 13 and 17 years old. His writing has that kind of uninformed arrogance to it.

You might be confusing his age with his IQ, but that's just a guess :laugh:

I served in the Navy. I did 4 years active duty and then extended for 2 years..then did 3 years active reserve and was activated during Desert Storm. I think the Army is the only service w/a 2 yr enlistment..but I could be wrong about that. They pay isn't what it should be but there are certain jobs(in the Navy that is)that offer significant re-enlistment bonuses.

I agree w/Sarge regarding furthering your education and going in as an officer...lots more money and you're in charge. Of course when you get out in a few years and you're no longer in charge and some snot nosed kid is your boss...you'll either go running back to the military so you can be in charge again...or you'll find another job.

Military life can be fun(after boot). The travel is good most of the time..you may see places you never would have gotten to say otherwise. With the "war" going on tho...make sure this is something you're committed to doing. It's no picnic over there. I was lucky..no wars when I was in..so it was just like a job for me. Good luck in whatever you decide.

So that makes you a slave owner?

They work for you and your benefit,while you "start your own business and make money and enjoy life"

I dont view them as slaves but yea, you are pretty much correct. It's better to be at the top of the food chain then on the bottom. Everything is based off of your mind set. If you have the mind set of working hard for somebody rather then yourslef then you gonna get pimped. Its just the way it is.

I'm spreading my words of wisdom over the internet trying to stop this young man from becoming another one of the goverments whores. I'm trying to change his mentality to make him a better person. Some people wont see it that way because they are brainwashed into working hard for someone else.

Hello to all of you out there on ES...

I am 18 years old and just graduated high school. Career wise, although I have done very well in college placement testing and everyone expects me to go off to college, I want to pursue something different. I hope to someday work as a bodyguard and I am looking for millitary and/or police experience to help me reach this goal. I know a lot of bodyguards served as Marines and as far as millitary goes, the Marines have always seemed appealing to me. From what I know, which isn't very much at all, the Marines put their men through tougher, more demanding training compared to the other forces.

Basically, I am considering joining to better my career options, serve my country, learn discipline, and hopefully become a more complete man.

So I know plenty of you probably have served or are close to someone who has served in the Marines or in the millitary in general. I have some questions...

How long would I likely end up serving?

What is the pay like?

Would I more likely come out of this a strong, disciplined man or an emotionally scarred, brainwashed man?

And any other advice and knowledge would be highly apprecciated. Thanks a lot.

:dallasuck

I served just out of high school and it did pay for my college education. I did learn discipline and there were many good things I got from my term in service.

As a single person, your expenses can be near nothing. I initially lived in a barracks and shared a room. ( no public showers when we got to our regular unit). Initial pay is not a lot, but with few expenses, you can really bank your money if you try.

The marines have a reputation of being the toughest, and they are the first to go in and the last to leave, but I would encourage you to consider the Air Force also. ( And I served in the Army) Although all branches will provide the discipline and training you are looking for, the Air Force generally is not going on patrol near the front lines and combat is less likely.

It's a grand thing your considering, I just say to think carefully before you make that decision.

I dont view them as slaves but yea, you are pretty much correct. It's better to be at the top of the food chain then on the bottom. Everything is based off of your mind set. If you have the mind set of working hard for somebody rather then yourslef then you gonna get pimped. Its just the way it is.

I'm spreading my words of wisdom over the internet trying to stop this young man from becoming another one of the goverments whores. I'm trying to change his mentality to make him a better person. Some people wont see it that way because they are brainwashed into working hard for someone else.

All i can say is you should learn to appreciate the fact that without our men and women in the service you would not have the ability to own your business.

Archived