Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2008 2nd Rounders: When Will they Sign?

SkinsAllDay34

We need to sign these guys ASAP Camp is in less than 2 weeks and I, with most of us dont want a hold out situation...

Does anyone have any info/rumors about the three 2nd rounders (thomas, kelly and davis) signings anytime soon?

Kelly and Thomas= Co-offensive rookies of the year!!!

These guys should have been signed weeks ago, so far as I'm concerned.

We should have made them a reasonable offer and told them to take it or leave it within 72 hours.

i somewhat disagree.

as unfair as it may seem, i am worried due to the very possible Brady Quinn-like situations we have on our hands with Kelly and Thomas.

sure, i highly doubt either of their situations will drag out that long, the fact remains that both of them would be factually correct in stating that their value is higher than the picks where they were chosen.

now, i agree with the whole 'well you werent chosen there - you were chosen here, so this is your value' camp. it is only fair. but the fact remains that a lot of agents and players have the very opposite going through their heads.

These guys should have been signed weeks ago, so far as I'm concerned.

We should have made them a reasonable offer and told them to take it or leave it within 72 hours.

I agree with you for the most part. I don't know about the 72 hour ultimatum, but I see it like if the first pick was signed sealed and delivered before the second pick of the draft was even announced...you would think it would have had a domino effect and set the bar and sped negotiations up for all the other draftees. As opposed to the first pick having a long hold out that takes up all of training camp like the last couple of years.

It's all good though, they will sign and we will fine.

i somewhat disagree.

as unfair as it may seem, i am worried due to the very possible Brady Quinn-like situations we have on our hands with Kelly and Thomas.

sure, i highly doubt either of their situations will drag out that long, the fact remains that both of them would be factually correct in stating that their value is higher than the picks where they were chosen.

now, i agree with the whole 'well you werent chosen there - you were chosen here, so this is your value' camp. it is only fair. but the fact remains that a lot of agents and players have the very opposite going through their heads.

See, I have a totally different take on the NFL Draft and rookie signings.....

I send these guys their contracts to sign three weeks after the draft. Whether they're the #1 Pick or Mr. Irrelevant. They can choose to sign the contract within 72 hours or they can choose to sit on their backsides and rot for a full year then re-enter the draft. Take their pick.

See, I have a totally different take on the NFL Draft and rookie signings.....

I send these guys their contracts to sign three weeks after the draft. Whether they're the #1 Pick or Mr. Irrelevant. They can choose to sign the contract within 72 hours or they can choose to sit on their backsides and rot for a full year then re-enter the draft. Take their pick.

i do think that that may be what happens to a lot of guys next year. a lot of guys will turn pro to cash in on the inflated rookie salaries knowing that it might well be their last chance before the system is restructured.

i think that, next year, teams will be able to throw a number that is far lower than usual (but perhaps higher than they would get if they sat out and were redrafted the following year).

for this year, though, i thnk it is dangerous to take such a hard edge. even if the player does eventually sign, there will be a lot of bad blood to begin a career, and in this era of trade demands and holding out of training camp that is a slippery slope.

I agree with you for the most part. I don't know about the 72 hour ultimatum, but I see it like if the first pick was signed sealed and delivered before the second pick of the draft was even announced...you would think it would have had a domino effect and set the bar and sped negotiations up for all the other draftees. As opposed to the first pick having a long hold out that takes up all of training camp like the last couple of years.

It's all good though, they will sign and we will fine.

Your sig is hilarious! :laugh:

I think.

Given Snyder's previous history, I'm pretty sure we won't have any trouble signing second rounders. The only one that I see who may be a problem is Devin Thomas, because Cerrato said that they were going to take him at 21 if not for the trade down. I'm surprised that the GMs/Coaches around the league haven't yet learned to not say **** like that after seeing what happened with the Browns with Quinn, the Cardinals with Leinart and I think also the Saints with Reggie ("I'm going to be the biggest bust in draft history") Bush.

Errr, Bush already better than Ryan Leaf ever was.

As for the OP, now that the bar has been set, I expect to see several more 2nd round picks sign in the next few days. We should have everyone done by training camp. If we dont, and they are not in camp, then we can start to worry.

the word of the day is "relax"

its a legitimate question though. I mean, likely they're not going to hold out, but this thread is better than most of the **** that's been up here in the past..oh 6 months or so :laugh:

To the OP, you should relax a bit b/c everyone has participated in OTA's and been working out and showing up at Redskins Park for work outs etc. I don't think there's going to be any issues w/ the rookies. Think the FO is holding out to sign them to see if Favre would be interested in a job? :paranoid:

HTTR

Draft picks always wait until the first on signs. They set a bar based on last years contract for the same draft slot with a percentage raise. Second rounders have nearly zippo in leverage. They will sign within the next month. Not signing a contract and holding out of camp are two completely different monsters. I have heard nothing about a possible holdout.

Archived