Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2008 2nd Rounders: When Will they Sign?

SkinsAllDay34

for this year, though, i thnk it is dangerous to take such a hard edge. even if the player does eventually sign, there will be a lot of bad blood to begin a career, and in this era of trade demands and holding out of training camp that is a slippery slope.

This would be my policy EVERY year. These players haven't EARNED a single penny of their initial contracts. They should be banging on the doors of the GM's that drafted them begging to sign a contract before the GM's realize that they haven't proven anything about their talent at the NFL level. The TEAMS hold all the power in this situation but they refuse to use it.

This would be my policy EVERY year. These players haven't EARNED a single penny of their initial contracts. They should be banging on the doors of the GM's that drafted them begging to sign a contract before the GM's realize that they haven't proven anything about their talent at the NFL level. The TEAMS hold all the power in this situation but they refuse to use it.

I definitely agree with you in principle, but unfortunately you cannot afford to draft players that you aren't going to be able to at least sign. Draft picks are very valuable in this league, and while some won't make the team, you have to at least make sure that your picks get the chance to contribute to your ball club.

I definitely agree with you in principle, but unfortunately you cannot afford to draft players that you aren't going to be able to at least sign. Draft picks are very valuable in this league, and while some won't make the team, you have to at least make sure that your picks get the chance to contribute to your ball club.

We're going to have to disagree on the value of draft picks and the players selected with them. I do not put any value in these unproven players and if they want to make demands before they've even proven they can play at the NFL level I say **** them.... let them sit out for a year and see how well they do in the draft a second time.

We're going to have to disagree on the value of draft picks and the players selected with them. I do not put any value in these unproven players and if they want to make demands before they've even proven they can play at the NFL level I say **** them.... let them sit out for a year and see how well they do in the draft a second time.

I agree that it's tough to assess value before playing an NFL snap, so how would you propose the signings happen? Would you be in favor of a salary scale through all of the rounds, or do you think teams should just offer what they value the player at and let them accept or reject it. It's an interesting idea because while the drafting team would control the rights for a year, they would get a shot with other teams after that. But didn't Mike Williams and Clarett show how much negative affect a year off of football can have? Would they sign for fear of lowering their value more?

Or should this just go in the "Ask MSF a Question Thread"? :D

I agree that it's tough to assess value before playing an NFL snap, so how would you propose the signings happen? Would you be in favor of a salary scale through all of the rounds, or do you think teams should just offer what they value the player at and let them accept or reject it. It's an interesting idea because while the drafting team would control the rights for a year, they would get a shot with other teams after that. But didn't Mike Williams and Clarett show how much negative affect a year off of football can have? Would they sign for fear of lowering their value more?

Or should this just go in the "Ask MSF a Question Thread"? :D

I'll answer it here, since it's relevant, but if you want to repost it in the question thread it might get a different readership over in the Tailgate....

Basically on the day after the draft the team would begin determining what they feel the value of each player they drafted is, based on their talents, when they were selected, etc.... The LEAGUE would not have any input into those valuations.

Within a couple of weeks the team would write up the contracts for each individual draftee and send the contracts to the draftees and their agents. The agents/players would have 72-96 hours to review and either sign or reject the contract. After that period of time the contract offer would be void.

Of course any player who chose not to sign could have their rights traded to another team, or they could re-enter the NFL draft the next year; after taking a year off from the game and having to deal with the new draft class as competition for top draft slots again. They would really have to make a hard decision as to whether or not they feel they can get MORE the next year than they got offered this year.

I'll answer it here, since it's relevant, but if you want to repost it in the question thread it might get a different readership over in the Tailgate....

Basically on the day after the draft the team would begin determining what they feel the value of each player they drafted is, based on their talents, when they were selected, etc.... The LEAGUE would not have any input into those valuations.

Within a couple of weeks the team would write up the contracts for each individual draftee and send the contracts to the draftees and their agents. The agents/players would have 72-96 hours to review and either sign or reject the contract. After that period of time the contract offer would be void.

Of course any player who chose not to sign could have their rights traded to another team, or they could re-enter the NFL draft the next year; after taking a year off from the game and having to deal with the new draft class as competition for top draft slots again. They would really have to make a hard decision as to whether or not they feel they can get MORE the next year than they got offered this year.

I usually just lurk and don't post very often, but since I have never agreed with you before I figured why not?

MSF you are 100% correct on this topic.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

We should do this in all forms of work. Before your heart surgery' date=' you can send your surgeon a contract. He has 24 hours to sign....or you die.[/quote']

:laugh: :laugh:

I know that this is going to rub some fans the wrong way, but heart surgery is a tad bit more important regardless of how we feel on sunday afternoons.

I really think part of the holdup is that these three 2nd round picks are skill players so there will likely be several escalator and performance based clauses that need to be ironed out, i.e., number of snaps, percentage of plays, receptions, Pro Bowl appearance and so on. The base salary will be the easy part.

just saw this on ESPN.com http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=clayton_john

Draft day signings delayed

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 | Print Entry

The push by teams to get all of their draft choices signed on time may get a little bit of a delay. The NFLPA informed agents for the remaining unsigned draft choices to negotiate cautiously while the union tries to resolve a dispute affecting first- and second-round choices.

On Tuesday, the NFLPA filed a brief seeking a decision of a Special Master. Without getting too complicated, the dispute revolves around the interpretation guaranteed one-time bonuses and the way those guarantees are interpreted within the rookie pool.

Under the rookie pool, base salaries can only increase 25 percent per year, but agents found a loophole in which a draft choice can receive a one-time bonus and guarantee it in the final year of the contract. This particularly affects second-round choices because they sign four-year deals. The problem in this summer's negotiations is that there is no collective bargaining agreement in 2011 so the fourth year of the contract can't be involved in any kind of guarantees.

While it is possible to use the second year as a guarantee, agents don't consider that an option because few teams cut a first- or a second-rounder before that. The NFLPA and the Management Council will present their interpretations and await a decision by the Special Master next week.

The problem? Teams such as the Redskins report July 20, leaving little time to negotiate deals for top picks. The Redskins, for example, have three second-rounders who will be affected by the eventual ruling, and if the agents for those players wait for a ruling, the team will be scrambling to get deals done.

To date, three first-rounders and one second-rounder have signed contracts.

You know, this seems like a perfect question for the "Thursdays with Vinny segment on Larry Michael's TERRIBLE "Radio" show. Does anybody know if Vinny is back from vacation, because I'd be loath to write in and have LM just pontificate that everything will get done on time even though he has no idea what the hell is going on.

EDIT: I don't watch the show any more. I stopped watching regularly after Bram left but randomly caught a Thursday with Vinny maybe 3 weeks ago and he said he was going on vacation.

You know, this seems like a perfect question for the "Thursdays with Vinny segment on Larry Michael's TERRIBLE "Radio" show. Does anybody know if Vinny is back from vacation, because I'd be loath to write in and have LM just pontificate that everything will get done on time even though he has no idea what the hell is going on.

EDIT: I don't watch the show any more. I stopped watching regularly after Bram left but randomly caught a Thursday with Vinny maybe 3 weeks ago and he said he was going on vacation.

Redskins Radio is off air until July 14th when they launch the new show Redskins Nation (think thats what i remember them saying). Right now they have been just running re-runs and LM is on vacation.

This is why I am glad you do not run the team.

Archived