Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

breitbart.com Report: Ohio teacher burned cross on kids' arms (Merged)

Stophovr6

MOUNT VERNON, Ohio (AP) - A public school teacher preached his Christian beliefs despite complaints by other teachers and administrators and used a device to burn the image of a cross on students' arms, according to a report by independent investigators. Mount Vernon Middle School teacher John Freshwater also taught creationism in his science class and was insubordinate in failing to remove a Bible and other religious materials from his classroom, the report said.

School board members were scheduled to meet Friday afternoon to discuss the findings by consulting firm H.R. On Call Inc., hired by the district to investigate. The report was released Thursday.

School Superintendent Stephen Short wouldn't comment on the report before Friday's meeting, his office said. A message seeking comment was left for Freshwater's attorney, Roger Weaver.

The report comes one week after a family filed a federal lawsuit in Columbus against Freshwater and the school district, saying Freshwater burned a cross on their child's arm that remained for three or four weeks.

Freshwater's friend Dave Daubenmire defended him.

"With the exception of the cross-burning episode ... I believe John Freshwater is teaching the values of the parents in the Mount Vernon school district," he told The Columbus Dispatch in a story published Friday.

Several students interviewed by investigators described Freshwater, who has been employed by the school district for 21 years, as a great guy.

D91DVT200.jpg

Click on link for more: http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D91DVT200&show_article=1

Freshwater claims it's an x. What do you guys think? Looks like a cross to me.

Does it matter? Burning is pretty much a no-no, if I recall my days in school at all.

I think it matters a little bit. If you burnt my child I'd be pissed, if you burnt a religious symbol onto my child i'd be exponentialy pissed.

Does it matter? Burning is pretty much a no-no, if I recall my days in school at all.

I agree. This whacko should have been fired years ago.

My question, however, is did the kids allow him to burn them (e.g. freely offer their arms), or did he coerce them into doing it? I'm sure it's in the article, but I'm very lazy today. :yawnee:

I think it was discussed here a month or two ago.

(Surely there can't be two teachers doing this.)

Same story - I think it is that the case is headed to court now. Before it was about his suspension, which was originally claimed to be just because he had a bible in the classroom.

Preaching creationism and burning crosses into kids was conveniently left out of the original story.

I think it matters a little bit. If you burnt my child I'd be pissed, if you burnt a religious symbol onto my child i'd be exponentialy pissed.

I realize I'm a Christian, which lends bias to my statement, but I think I would be more upset about my child's health/safety than what specifically was being burned into their body. I'd be pissed if it was a cross, and pissed if it was a Buddhist symbol or something.

I do see your point however, in that if it were a Satanic symbol, I suppose I would be super pissed.

Still, I would like to think I'd be more upset about the action than the content.

I realize I'm a Christian, which lends bias to my statement, but I think I would be more upset about my child's health/safety than what specifically was being burned into their body. I'd be pissed if it was a cross, and pissed if it was a Buddhist symbol or something.

I do see your point however, in that if it were a Satanic symbol, I suppose I would be super pissed.

Still, I would like to think I'd be more upset about the action than the content.

Maybe you're a better person than me. I just know I'd be livid.

Freshwater's friend Dave Daubenmire defended him.

"With the exception of the cross-burning episode ... I believe John Freshwater is teaching the values of the parents in the Mount Vernon school district," he told The Columbus Dispatch in a story published Friday.

:doh: And with the exception of the Holocaust and WW2, Hitler was a fine leader :doh:

MOUNT VERNON, Ohio — A public school teacher taught creationism in his science class and used a device to burn the image of a cross on students' arms, according to a report by independent investigators.

Mount Vernon Middle School teacher John Freshwater was insubordinate in failing to remove a Bible and other religious materials from his classroom and continued to preach his Christian beliefs despite complaints by other teachers and administrators, according to the report released Thursday by consulting firm H.R. On Call Inc.

The Mount Vernon school board voted 5-0 Friday to pass a resolution of intent to terminate Freshwater's contract. Board attorney David Millstone says Freshwater is entitled to a hearing to challenge the dismissal. A lawyer for Freshwater says he will request such a hearing.

The report, which was conducted by independent investigators, comes one week after a family filed a federal lawsuit in Columbus against Freshwater and the school district, saying Freshwater burned a cross on their child's arm and that a burn mark remained for three or four weeks.

what was this guy thinking? you cant teach religion in public school despite whether creationism is part of the cirriculum or not. then to go and leave a visible mark on the kids too? what a dummy! ..... i know the marks dont seem to be that big of a deal and certainly not permanent..... but i think that was a bit ballsy............

to me it doesnt look like a cross .....but i cant tell from the pic...... but why even skirt the chance of this mess?

what a dumb dummy.....

well, i figured

teacher burns crosses onto childrens arms while teaching creationism illegally

wouldnt fit

sorry

You're supposed to use the story's title, actually. But to say he was burning crosses is VERY different than burning crosses into the skin. See the difference?

Archived