Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whats the penalty for quitting Marine Boot Camp?

stoney26

I dont know all the details. And the post really wasnt about that. It was more to get an idea of what his punishment would be if he left.

If he just walks out, they won't waste much energy following him. He'll eventually be placed on AWOL, then dropped from the roles. His name will be posted to agencies nationwide and if he gets pulled over, etc, then he will be placed into custody and returned to the military. They'll keep him long enough to whack his peepee and process him out.

On the other hand, if he just comes forward and tells them he 's a quitter, they'll probably work pretty fast to get him out with a general discharge.

Well you said he would have to live his life knowing he was a quitter. So it was in response to that.

Personal opinions on the war should probably be made before signing the dotted line. Dontcha think?

So there is really no justification or getting around it... 'quitting' it is.

If he just walks out, they won't waste much energy following him. He'll eventually be placed on AWOL, then dropped from the roles. His name will be posted to agencies nationwide and if he gets pulled over, etc, then he will be placed into custody and returned to the military. They'll keep him long enough to whack his peepee and process him out.

On the other hand, if he just comes forward and tells them he 's a quitter, they'll probably work pretty fast to get him out with a general discharge.

Thanks. Thats pretty much what I was looking for. And if I offended anybody in this thread I apologize. It was not my intent.

Personal opinions on the war should probably be made before signing the dotted line. Dontcha think?

So there is really no justification or getting around it... 'quitting' it is.

Yes it is quitting and I agree 100% that he would be a quitter. What I was saying is Id rather quit than die fighting in Iraq. Thats just me though. And he is an idiot for signing on the dotted line.

It was Riddick Bowe, not Buster Douglas.

Stoney, I personally think your brother probably needs to stick it out. Recruiters lying is common knowledge, this isn't the first time I've heard of something like this, and he wouldn't listen to you or your family when you tried to tell him so.

I'm guessing the people saying crap about him "being a quitter" are probably current or former military and can't wrap their heads around the idea that it isn't for everyone. That or they don't have much heart.

Either way, my best to him. But honestly, this could be good for him. From what you've said already, he's 20 or 21 and has a kid who's already 1-1/2, and married a girl he loves but only to get the military benefits? It kind of sounds like a kid who could use some discipline.

Thanks for the post. Your probaly right, he does need some discipline. But I just dont want to see my little brother go to Iraq.

I'm guessing the people saying crap about him "being a quitter" are probably current or former military and can't wrap their heads around the idea that it isn't for everyone. That or they don't have much heart.

Either way, my best to him. But honestly, this could be good for him. From what you've said already, he's 20 or 21 and has a kid who's already 1-1/2, and married a girl he loves but only to get the military benefits? It kind of sounds like a kid who could use some discipline.

I think current and former military have a better appreciation that it isn't for everyone than most that have never served. I facilitated the exit of several who it just wasn't for. And if it isn't a fit then get them out of there the sooner the better.

That still does not mean that someone that signed up....especially during a time of war...and then decides to discontinue their commitment, is a quitter

All I'm saying is the kid obviously feels he was lied to and wants out. And it's true, he was lied to, although it's about something that's pretty common knowledge. I'm not saying I think it's a great reason for wanting out, but it's his reason. I still think he should stick it out, but I'm not going to pile on like some people here have been doing.

I guess when you put your trust in someone your expecting them to be telling the truth. And to be honest none of my questions had anything to do with how I find the annual pay for a Marine recruit. Thanks anyways though for your smart ass remarks.

You said it was over pay... if pay is that important, should have looked it up.

Especially if they obviously haven't paid attention to the news over the last 8 years that people in the military don't make ****.

Tell him to stick it out. Living his entire life with that in the back of his head will always eat at him. I ****ed up my enlistment getting in trouble and being a dumb reckless kid, because I didn't understand the consequences.

My recruiter told me there was a movie theater, bowling alley and a bar on the ship. I didn't believe him, but I did when he said "if you go in as undesignated you can pick you rate later".

No SeaBees for me (although I did get to work for them later after said trouble and recklessness) no matter what I did. The Clinton years it was tough to move around after joining. (but he let the Gays in, thanks Bill. What an important thing to make your first order of business. Sorry, I digress).

Again, tell him to toughen up and he is just as screwed as every other Marine, Soldier and Sailor.

N- Never

A-Again

V-Volunteer

Y-Yourself.

Live and learn.

If he just deciedes to leave and not tell anyone it could be considered desertion. The Army just arrested some one down in Az. somewere last year for going AWOL some 30 years ago. He was put in jail the discharged dishonarble. If your bro is thinking about quiting tell him to let someone know and see if he cant just get relessed.

I think current and former military have a better appreciation that it isn't for everyone than most that have never served. I facilitated the exit of several who it just wasn't for. And if it isn't a fit then get them out of there the sooner the better.

That still does not mean that someone that signed up....especially during a time of war...and then decides to discontinue their commitment, is a quitter

I agree with you 100%. He is a quitter and people who are serving and have served definetly have a better apprecation for what goes on. He made a quick, rushed choice that was a mistake.

You said it was over pay... if pay is that important, should have looked it up.

Especially if they obviously haven't paid attention to the news over the last 8 years that people in the military don't make ****.

Dude, my brother is 20 years old. He made a mistake. Yes he should have looked it up but thats not why I started this thread. Thanks again though ffor your comments. I will take them into account.

OK lets try this:

What did the recruiter say he would make? (Is key to the conversation)

------------------------------------

When you factor in BAQ VHA and tax deductions..

Not too shabby. What was the LIE?

How much did the requi

Why do you keep harping on this? Its not part of the conversation. I have no ****ing clue what the recruiter said he would make. All I know is my brother thinks he was lied to. I dont know to many more details than that. If you could tell me what would happen if he quits that would be great.

Dude, my brother is 20 years old. He made a mistake. Yes he should have looked it up but thats not why I started this thread. Thanks again though ffor your comments. I will take them into account.

he made a mistake? or he was lied to?

Well my mom got a letter from him saying his recruter lied to him about his pay

Why do you keep harping on this? Its not part of the conversation. I have no ****ing clue what the recruiter said he would make. All I know is my brother thinks he was lied to. I dont know to many more details than that. If you could tell me what would happen if he quits that would be great.

Your lying to us arnt you?

Yes it is quitting and I agree 100% that he would be a quitter. What I was saying is Id rather quit than die fighting in Iraq. Thats just me though. And he is an idiot for signing on the dotted line.

Didn't he do his research to learn we were fighting in Iraq before signing?

If he does stay in, from what I understand he will be taken care of completely if he retires after so many years. Basically at that point he can choose to have two incomes for the rest of his life or retire.

Tell him to stick it out. Living his entire life with that in the back of his head will always eat at him. I ****ed up my enlistment getting in trouble and being a dumb reckless kid, because I didn't understand the consequences.

My recruiter told me there was a movie theater, bowling alley and a bar on the ship. I didn't believe him, but I did when he said "if you go in as undesignated you can pick you rate later".

No SeaBees for me (although I did get to work for them later after said trouble and recklessness) no matter what I did. The Clinton years it was tough to move around after joining. (but he let the Gays in, thanks Bill. What an important thing to make your first order of business. Sorry, I digress).

Again, tell him to toughen up and he is just as screwed as every other Marine, Soldier and Sailor.

N- Never

A-Again

V-Volunteer

Y-Yourself.

Live and learn.

Thanks for your advise.

Didn't he do his research to learn we were fighting in Iraq before signing?

If he does stay in, from what I understand he will be taken care of completely if he retires after so many years. Basically at that point he can choose to have two incomes for the rest of his life or retire.

Yes and I dont think he minds going to Iraq. I do. Like I said a hundred times, he made a huge mistake.

You can get out during initial training with few consequences. They'll call it "failure to adapt." Of course, then you have to live the rest of your life knowing you are a quitter.

Raub beat me to it. There is no real penalty per say, but as Raub said it is failure to adapt. No jail time, unless he is Absent without Leave (AWOL), which means he would run off. Even in boot camp if you went AWOL they probably wouldn't bother with throwing you in the Brig (jail), they probably would just punt you out of the Corps.

Raub beat me to it. There is no real penalty per say, but as Raub said it is failure to adapt. No jail time, unless he is Absent without Leave (AWOL), which means he would run off. Even in boot camp if you went AWOL they probably wouldn't bother with throwing you in the Brig (jail), they probably would just punt you out of the Corps.

Thanks man...

Archived