Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Some teams ready for an uncapped season, some not

RIPSean

I dont think this has been posted...

Full story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3415387

5. Washington Redskins: The Redskins are in great shape for the next two seasons, but 2010 could be tough. Eleven of their 22 starters are in their 30s, including five starters on the offensive line. Age is also creeping up on their defense. Cornerback Shawn Springs is 33. Linebacker Marcus Washington is 30. Defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin is 31. Linebacker London Fletcher is 33. Defensive end Phillip Daniels is 35.

With more teams preparing for the chance of an uncapped year, finding replacements for older starters becomes harder and harder. The Redskins soon will have to prepare to replace the entire offensive line and five older starters on defense.

I think we are taking the right steps in order to circumvent this problem. Focusing on the draft. Our skill positions look set for the near future

Agreed, if we hit on both Kerry Brown, Heyer, and the guy from Iowa, we will be in good shape. As far as defense, Daniels is no big deal to lose. Washington will need to be replaced. Springs will need to be replaced,, but we should be able to do that. If Carlos steps it up we will only be needing to add for depth in the DB situation. We also need Mcintosh to get healthy and I think Blades will be similar to Fletcher over his career.

Especially if Crummey is in the plans to replace Rabach, then I feel 4 out of the 5 line spots are set with Heyer at RT, Rinehart and Brown at OG and Crummey at center. We would just need a LT, which we could find in the next draft if necessary. Blades is going to take Fletcher's spot, Daniels should not be hard to replace. Yes, Springs's replacement will have to come via the draft. Hopefully Gatewood shows enough to be Marcus's replacement. Griff's replacement will come via the draft hopefully as well. So in the next couple seasons our top draft needs are

1) DT

2) CB

3) DE

4) SLB

5) LT

Especially if Crummey is in the plans to replace Rabach, then I feel 4 out of the 5 line spots are set with Heyer at RT, Rinehart and Brown at OG and Crummey at center. We would just need a LT, which we could find in the next draft if necessary. Blades is going to take Fletcher's spot, Daniels should not be hard to replace. Yes, Springs's replacement will have to come via the draft. Hopefully Gatewood shows enough to be Marcus's replacement. Griff's replacement will come via the draft hopefully as well. So in the next couple seasons our top draft needs are

1) DT

2) CB

3) DE

4) SLB

5) LT

isn't that amazing that none of those picks would be higher than a 3rd round choice in Rinehart. I hope that we select a staple LT through the draft though, ala Marcus McNeil

There is one glaring weakness in their analysis' date=' ability to pay. We will never be in trouble because we can afford to and are willing to pay more than other teams.[/quote']

They are talking about the 2010 season, not after. In 2010 there will still be a salary cap, but no room to spread bonuses over. Any reamining money owed in bonuses will all be applied to that year, and we have some serious money invested in old talent due the the cash over cap philosophy. We would be really helped by a new CBA, but if it doesn't happen 2010 will be bad unless we infuse with lots of young talent. If Erasmus James hits, Vinny will be sitting pretty in the eyes of the fan base.

They are talking about the 2010 season, not after. In 2010 there will still be a salary cap, but no room to spread bonuses over. Any reamining money owed in bonuses will all be applied to that year, and we have some serious money invested in old talent due the the cash over cap philosophy. We would be really helped by a new CBA, but if it doesn't happen 2010 will be bad unless we infuse with lots of young talent. If Erasmus James hits, Vinny will be sitting pretty in the eyes of the fan base.
I see, although it is a bit premature to predict where our team will be two years from now. The part of your post I bolded is incorrect. The bonus money will not be accelerated(if that is what you are implying).

edit: I missed it the first time around but the part I italicized is also incorrect. Any contracts signed that offseason would have the SB prorated over the life of the contract, with a max of 7 yrs.

There is one glaring weakness in their analysis' date=' ability to pay. We will never be in trouble because we can afford to and are willing to pay more than other teams.[/quote']

Bingo. Criticize the Dan all you want for many things but this is one area you can't criticize him for.

Agreed, if we hit on both Kerry Brown, Heyer, and the guy from Iowa, we will be in good shape. As far as defense, Daniels is no big deal to lose. Washington will need to be replaced. Springs will need to be replaced,, but we should be able to do that. If Carlos steps it up we will only be needing to add for depth in the DB situation. We also need Mcintosh to get healthy and I think Blades will be similar to Fletcher over his career.

I wish I shared your optimism. To plan on hitting on two UDFA and a mid rounder (although I do like Heyer) to become starters is a bit of a reach. I also have to disagree regarding Daniels, he is a big deal to replace. He may not be an elite DE but he is the only guy on our roster capable of playing 3 downs other than Carter. If it were so easy to replace him we would have succeeded in doing it by now, rather than playing DE by committee.

Springs is a great player, but if Carlos comes back I think he is the heir apparent. I have faith in McIntosh being fine, and maybe even Blades becoming a starter. That being said to think Blades is going to be the player Fletcher has been is almost laughable. While Fletcher doesn't get much credit in the national media he has been one of the best MLB in the league every year he has played. It is nearly impossible to find players not only as talented and hard working, but as durable as Fletch. Replacing him is not going to be an easy task.

I wish I shared your optimism. To plan on hitting on two UDFA and a mid rounder (although I do like Heyer) to become starters is a bit of a reach. I also have to disagree regarding Daniels, he is a big deal to replace. He may not be an elite DE but he is the only guy on our roster capable of playing 3 downs other than Carter. If it were so easy to replace him we would have succeeded in doing it by now, rather than playing DE by committee.

Springs is a great player, but if Carlos comes back I think he is the heir apparent. I have faith in McIntosh being fine, and maybe even Blades becoming a starter. That being said to think Blades is going to be the player Fletcher has been is almost laughable. While Fletcher doesn't get much credit in the national media he has been one of the best MLB in the league every year he has played. It is nearly impossible to find players not only as talented and hard working, but as durable as Fletch. Replacing him is not going to be an easy task.

The point is that Blades is a shifty sidleine to sideline tackle machine and has a nose for the ball. He will be fine as a starter at some point. Daniels is certainly replaceable through the draft, and maybe James will surprise us.

If the salary cap goes away so does the draft. We will be able to sign whatever college talent we need.
I'm not following you. Do you mean it becomes irrelevant, or there will be no more draft and all entering college players will be FA's? Neither are correct.

I see' date=' although it is a bit premature to predict where our team will be two years from now. The part of your post I bolded is incorrect. The bonus money will not be accelerated(if that is what you are implying).

edit: I missed it the first time around but the part I italicized is also incorrect. Any contracts signed that offseason would have the SB prorated over the life of the contract, with a max of 7 yrs.[/quote']

Now that I think about it, I can't find the source right now, but it is dead cap money that accelerates. Anybody not on the roster whose dead cap money is still spread out over several years gets accelerated and bam we have more of a crisis.

Now that I think about it, I can't find the source right now, but it is dead cap money that accelerates. Anybody not on the roster whose dead cap money is still spread out over several years gets accelerated and bam we have more of a crisis.

Dead cap money can only be spread over 2 years max.

Dead cap money is only spread out over a max of two years, so that is also irrelevant.

edit: heidenreich posted the exact same thing, i just missed it.

We'll be fine guys. We have two good young DT's who can develop to be great and we do have young depth along the D-Line that can also develop. Blades will be a tackling machine when Fletcher goes( or that Sinclair kid who tackled Hester TWICE). The next couple years we'll have to address DB OL DL in the draft.

Archived