Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Some teams ready for an uncapped season, some not

RIPSean

There is one glaring weakness in their analysis' date=' ability to pay. We will never be in trouble because we can afford to and are willing to pay more than other teams.[/quote']

True....well, sorta. Sure Snyder has the dough and doesn't mind spending it. The question is, will there be any players available that fit our system sns are worth signing?

I think we are taking the right steps in order to circumvent this problem. Focusing on the draft. Our skill positions look set for the near future

agreed. Hopefully we see much more of this in the coming years. The CORRECT way to build a team.

You mean like Carlos Rogers? Rogers and Smoot as starters wouldn't worry me too much. (as long as Rogers comes back at 100%)

They are solid #2's. They really aren't #1 corners though. Rogers needs to live up to his hype. Unless we have Landry instilling fear in TO and and Plax or have a good pass rush. I am worried about our D.

However, I love our LB's and that should help out the run.

You mean like Carlos Rogers? Rogers and Smoot as starters wouldn't worry me too much. (as long as Rogers comes back at 100%)

quoted for the truth....

rogers and smoot could become an outstanding tandem at the corner position. while niether are legit "shutdown corners", they are both extremely talented, and havent even peaked yet (hopefully).

quoted for the truth....

rogers and smoot could become an outstanding tandem at the corner position. while niether are legit "shutdown corners", they are both extremely talented, and havent even peaked yet (hopefully).

I hope so

If they can play solid this year we are a playoff team without a doubt. Smoot steps it up some games but looks awful sometimes. I don't get it.

I hope so

If they can play solid this year we are a playoff team without a doubt. Smoot steps it up some games but looks awful sometimes. I don't get it.

agreed, smoot is really suspect on some plays. however, if we can start getting more pressure on opposing quarterbacks this season, it'll make life a whole lot easier for our corners.

I think we are taking the right steps in order to circumvent this problem. Focusing on the draft. Our skill positions look set for the near future

It will take 1-2 free agent signing as well as two full drafts to rebuild the depth in the organization. This process can be expedited if some of our later round pick/UDFA or an Erasmus James pan out. We've addressed the offensive skill positions forthe long haul and we may have made great progress on the interior of the line with Reinhart, Brown, and Crummey. Next years focus has to be on getting a tackle along with d-lineman.

how could we possibly be in a bad spot with an uncapped season? We have an owner that will spend whatever to get who he wants, so we would be on of the few teams that could just buy whoever we wanted without worrying about the cap. Being at number 5 just says their are owners with markets who could out spend us, while I think thats wrong it just means we as fans need to get snyder more dough.

I think uncapped years will favor us, but I think they will not let that get to that.

If their is no agreement on a new contract and a lockout, strike, or uncapped year happens, I am through with the NFL. At my age, I just don't care about all the business part of the game. I like supporting the Skins and miss the days when I didn't have to get a program to find out who was on the team. Those days are long gone, but in many ways I live "back in the day" when there was a 12 round draft and the excitement and anticipation was how are the new guys going to fit in. No free agency, our team was "our" team. Players left through retirement, injuries, and the occassional trade but it wasn't who will pay the most. If the game continues that way, I am going back to college football and to hell with the NFL.

from what i understand, 08 and 09 seasons will be fine then season 2010 will be uncapped. Then in 2011 players are gonna want so much money and owners won't want to give them that x amount of cash eventually leading to a strike in 2011

I feel thats exactly whats going to happen if they dont reach an agreement by the end of 09.

So if they don't come up with an agreement then all we can hope for is this team has enough class to not care about the money and keep practicing like the last time there was a strike and we won a superbowl (as big as a skins fan i am, i still don't know what that strike was about lol)

There is one glaring weakness in their analysis' date=' ability to pay. We will never be in trouble because we can afford to and are willing to pay more than other teams.[/quote']

If you mean pay our way out if the bonus issue then your right - that still leaves the issue of where we get the players to replace the older guys we will saying goodbye to.

The problem is that contray to popular opinion there is not going to be a glut of free agent talent floating around to throw money at.

If there is no cap first of all palyers need to have 5 years service to qualify as an unrestricted free agent so a lot of the players who would have been hitting the market will be restricted free agents.

Secondly every team will have 3 tags to apply to players who have got 5 years service so again the available talent will get thinned out.

Finally teams who make the playoffs will have further restrictions placed on which and how many free agents they can sign. If we are a playoff team in 2009 which I think we should be we will be affected.

Bottom line we need to have two really good drafts or we will have issues not from a money point of view but from a talent point of view.

Dead cap money can only be spread over 2 years max.

Ok so we will have double the dead cap money due in the last year which will make it nealy impossible to be competitive in free agency since we have one of the highest dead cap amounts in the NFL. In addition we can't afford to get rid of older players who might have a lot of dead cap money due to our restructuring and cash over cap philosophy, and that puts the team in a very difficult position seeing as how all our O lineman plus several starting defensive players are over thirty and have an injury history. The example I read about was what if Portis had a career ending injury. His dead cap amount would be so much that we couldn't really afford to get rid of him. We are married to several players and their contracts making it difficult for the team to get younger and remain competitive. It is in the skins best interest to get a new CBA for that last year before the uncapped year after that we will be a heavy hitter in the NFL. Lastly, I do believe in Eric Schaffer. He really knows what he is doing.

how can you say that when this team picks to WR's that weren't high on alot of teams boards? The only decent draft pick this team has is Landry and McIntosh. Thats it, they haven't drafted enough over the last five years to develop any talent. So don't say they are in good shape at the skill position because they aren't.

how can you say that when this team picks to WR's that weren't high on alot of teams boards? The only decent draft pick this team has is Landry and McIntosh. Thats it, they haven't drafted enough over the last five years to develop any talent. So don't say they are in good shape at the skill position because they aren't.

who cares what other teams boards were? We have a All pro TE, 2 very capable Rbs, a growing QB who i think will become a star, and 2 WRs that will add to the explosive offense that we didnt see because of conserative gibbs

Ok lets review the skill positions.

QB - Campbell - young lots of potential, lots to prove but has a chance to be a quality starting QB.

RB - Portis (26) backed up by Betts (29 I think) - good to go.

TE - Cooley (don't you consider him a decent draft pick?) plus Davis as a backup. Good to go.

WR, Moss, ARE, Thomas, Kelly and one from Thrash or Mix. Rookies are unproven but that group is potentially one of the best in the NFL and nice blend of experience and youth. If just one of Thomas or Kelly develops in a solid starter and Moss stays healthy we are set.

It all depends on the QB but if Jason is what we hope we have as good a supporting cast as just about anybody in the NFL.

Archived