Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Larry Centers be next? (Link to WP)

ncSKIN

I would like to see him come back and get down to some unfinished business from the '99 season. I'm curious, Snyder seems to have a affection for the veteran player like Darrell Green or Bruce Smith. He genuinely likes Larry Centers. Why the animosity with Brian Mitchell? Mitchell was a fan favorite and it seems as if these are the types Snyder latches on to. Why did Mitchell go and why wasn't he pursued this off season?

Cutting mitchell was a cost cutting move. He was here to return kicks and when we added (ick) sanders...we had no use for him. I imagine the reason we didn't go after his this year was because of all the trash talking he did on us after he was cut. Centers was cut by Marty...not snyder. Snyder liked Centers here.

I do agree...there is no need for him. We have enough in our backfield now.

:cheers:

As long as he's cheap and we don't cut the ROCK.

How can it really hurt to have a guy like this? He's not really a blocking FB. He's a catching one.

You think he wouldn't excell in Spurriers offense. He'd sometimes be the checkdown...and sometimes be the #1 target to get some quick yards.

I know some people might think this is a bad move but you have to look at it this way..................He is a Huge upgrade over Bryan Johnson and we have Rock Cartwright to clear the way for our young Running Backs so this move makes sense.:cheers:

Vinny Cerrato didn't like Mitchell. He thought Mitchell had lost speed and was a declining asset. And he thought Deion Sanders could come in and not only fill the spot at CB next to Bailey but upgrade the PR spot with a guy with better speed and playmaking ability.

Mitchell could sense that Cerrato was looking to push him out and didn't appreciate the fact that instead of just letting him go, the front office starting a behind the scenes campaign to label Mitchell as a guy that wasn't good in the locker room and a divisive influence.

In return, Mitchell pulled no punches on his radio show and he took shots at the organization in public which I think is what drew Snyder's ire.

If the skins do sign Centers, I can easily see them trying to move Betts or Watson.....with the most likely being Watson due to the more pure RB size of Betts. I agree its not a move I would do considering his age, but i do see the intrigue in it. Say 3 wideout 2 RB set. Coles, Gardner, Rocket, Centers, and Candidate. That is alot of talent on the offensive side of the ball at one time. I specifically wouldn't trade Watson or Betts, because both look like they can be capable backs for the forceable future, and both are very young and need the offensive reps to get better. On the flip side, Snyder is saying I want to have all the fire power on offense that I can.

In the FNG the QB's progression goes deep to short which will automatically make Centers an afterthought. We have already seen that he doesn't like being an afterthought. Not only that but he's pretty darn long in the tooth to boot. I say we pass....no pun intended.

Signing Centers would almost certainly mean the end of Bryan Johnson or the Rock. Probably Johnson. But, if the future is the Rock then it doesn't matter much. Centers is a leader and we are a very young offense right now. Adding Centers and Ismail would seem to me to give some veteran stability to an otherwise young roster.

I also was a Redskin fan that lost my mind when they cut Centers. Not just because he was cut but the reason. The rumor was he wore a hat and didn't work out like he should have. I dont care where he works out as long as he show up on Sunday and the hat thing is just dumb. I'm not sure if maybe there was more to that rumor but you dont cut the best fullback ever cause he has a hat on. I would love to see him replace Johnson and mentor Rock. But I hope its cheap.

If we sign Centers, the odd man out here is the FB Johnson, not either of the RB's Watson or Betts. Otherwise we would have two RB's -- Trung and Watson or Betts and three FB's -- Centers, Cartwright and Johnson -- which wouldn't make any sense for a number of reasons.

:fortune: Soooooooo..... I consulted with Miss Cleo -- currently in Mexicalli hiding out from the Federalli's :mexican: :laugh: -- and she predicted that the Skins would sign Centers, because he will sign for about 750k, but which will only count 450k against our cap.

Centers has great hands and can still play, if you check out his stats for the last two years.

Bryan Johnson has been popular with the coaches for his hustle and effort, but as a converted linebacker, he is really too slow to ever be a playmaker as a pass receiver or ball carrier. And he really isn't a playmaker on special teams either.

If they were to cut the Rock instead, however, I would be pissed. :rolleyes:

Guest Trevor

I think it would be a great signing for cheap. Centers would give us a playmaker at a position where we are average at best. Johnson and Rock are decent but Centers for a year or two would be an upgrade as far as a receiving threat out of the backfield.

I don't like this idea. I think it would be counterproductive if the idea is to build a corp that would work and grow together for three years. The theme of this season has been speed. Centers is a great pass catcher, but I don't believe is a playmaker anymore and certainly is not a speed threat. Can he add something? Not enought, in my opinion. I was surprised when he was let go, but as far as receiving backs, that didn't seem to be a big problem last year. Betts looked okay. Rock had some flashes. Watson had a bunch o'catches. If the Morton thing reverses itself, we wind up with 7 rb's on our roster. If Gilespie or McCoo have any potential that we would like to realize, then we have 9. I think we need to cultivate, unless the thinking is that we need a gray beard somewhere within the rb corp.

Originally posted by tex

I went ballistic when they let him go.

He could mentor Rock & Bryan for a year or two.

He is leader that could help steady this very young offense.

He is a playmaker.

What's not to like?

As Emeril would say it Bam!..perfect.

Archived