Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Great predraft report on Devin Thomas

Zen-like Todd

Upfront, we'll have to excuse the source, but it has a great interview w/ his OC/WR coach.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/04/dallas-cowboys-nfl-draft-series-michigan.html

Once an NFL receivers coach gets time to work with him, his upside is going to be tremendous. He was a slotback, running back and receiver in junior college and high school. This guy's been a multi-use guy. This was his first year solely as a receiver, and now that we put him out there, and he can do a lot of neat things. When it's nothing but football, he can fine tune his game as a receiver, they'll have the time to do that. He can work on the nuances of route running, getting in and out of cuts, reading the defense. He's a student of the game and he'll continue to improve as he learns. ...He's a quick learner and even moreso, he's one of the best students I've had in terms of self-study, watching film himself. I'd get there, and he'd already have been in the film room for half an hour before anyone came in. You'd give him the format for what you wanted, and he's going to exhaust every angle. That's his makeup, that's who he is.
...Very team-oriented. There's an award yearly here, it has to do with one of the most comical guys on team. Devin has that ability, to have a whole group crack up, that's his personality. He's an upbeat kid; and he won that award this year. ...My experience was he was always good with people, very upfront and dependable. We had no issues with him. ...
You could see by his performance week-in and week-out, it ignited the offense. And he continued to play at a high level all year. Just by watching what he did, guys were looking to emulate him. Had he chose to come back, there's no question, he would've been a potential captain.
What we, with our Michigan State receivers, are going to pride ourselves on is going as hard away from the ball as we do with it. This spring, we were showing highlights in the running game to help our young players, to show them 'This is how we block, how you become more of a veteran.' Seventy percent of the clips were of Devin Thomas blocking downfield. ... Again, when a pro coach who has been with the guy day-after-day, gets to work on the finer points of the game, there's no limit to how good he can be. And he was such a productive special teams player for us, he can do that right away. ... He knows how to close a cushion as good as anyone I've seen, and he uses his body and size well to get position

Athletic talent + student of the game. I think we finally have the WR we've been looking for years. I could see him and Moss being a deadly duo with Kelly in the slot. I'm guessing this might be Randle El's last year on the team. Making too much money for a guy who has more potential behind him. Might make sense to cut him if his hit is not that much next year.

yeah, I enjoyed that. It was also nice to see so many cowboys fans giving props to our player. I like the fact that he had dedication, you can't teach that. Add to that the fact that he was supposed to go around 10 and dropped to the second round and he may have something to prove. All it takes is a stumbling block from Moss or El and we'll see what Thomas and Kelly have to offer.

I can't believe I'm actually excited about a draft class of the Washington Redskins. I must be high!

I can't believe I'm actually excited about a draft class of the Washington Redskins. I must be high!

I think most of the Redskins fan base feel like they're high.

I mean really, how many season recently have we actually had a draft class.... normally it's just 1-2 players people can get excited about and then some late rounders that we hope can pan out.

I think most of the Redskins fan base feel like they're high.

I mean really, how many season recently have we actually had a draft class.... normally it's just 1-2 players people can get excited about and then some late rounders that we hope can pan out.

Thats exactly my point! I'm sitting here contemplating with myself who will have the better first year and there are at least 4 guys (Thomas, Davis, Kelly, the punter) that I can make a legitimate argument for. Then if I add to that the possibities of the guy at guard starting some games or some of the UDFAs contributing, then we will have had a grade A class.

I know this is off topic, but the guy that interests me the most is Rod Coleman. I've heard so many different things about him as far as draft reports, so many of which are contradictory that I'd like to see him in some pads. The fact that I heard he beat two of our OTs in practice kinda has me impressed and wondering if he can make the roster and eventually replace Daniels or that backup guy we have who never plays.

What I'm always interested in is (and pardon my laziness, but trust me if I had the time I would look it up myself), what other players had draft profiles similar to our players - in particular Thomas. Much has been said about his lack of playing time, but who else came into the NFL in years past at WR with only one year of solid production? How did they fare? And how does Thomas compare to those players in terms of work ethic or dedication or attitude?

Thats exactly my point! I'm sitting here contemplating with myself who will have the better first year and there are at least 4 guys (Thomas, Davis, Kelly, the punter) that I can make a legitimate argument for. Then if I add to that the possibities of the guy at guard starting some games or some of the UDFAs contributing, then we will have had a grade A class.

I know this is off topic, but the guy that interests me the most is Rod Coleman. I've heard so many different things about him as far as draft reports, so many of which are contradictory that I'd like to see him in some pads. The fact that I heard he beat two of our OTs in practice kinda has me impressed and wondering if he can make the roster and eventually replace Daniels or that backup guy we have who never plays.

You mean Rob Jackson?

Athletic talent + student of the game. I think we finally have the WR we've been looking for years. I could see him and Moss being a deadly duo with Kelly in the slot. I'm guessing this might be Randle El's last year on the team. Making too much money for a guy who has more potential behind him. Might make sense to cut him if his hit is not that much next year.

Assume too much? Neither Kelly or Thomas has done a thing in the pros yet. Try not to put them in the HoF before playing an actual game.

You mean Rob Jackson?

Yeah...he's a seventh rounder. Why invest the energy into learning his name? Hopefully my fellow fans will understand who I'm talking about enough, but my curiousity about his talent level is balanced by the fact that he's a seventh rounder and he may not even make it through training camp. In which case, I'd have done myself good not gettina a man-crush on the guy.

Nice find.

Positive words indeed. Let's hope they are justified.

Thomas can watch 'Tana for some route running info if that's all he needs...

Have to say I'm a 'Lines first' person who can see the upside to the draft we just had. Kelly I'm liking because of the hands he has to go with size. Davis with ball in hand is going to cause some damage. Thomas might turn into the guy that must be double teamed that opens it up for the rest.

If our 3 2nd rounders all turn out like we hope this draft will go down in history.

Damn it's a long time till the season starts......

Assume too much? Neither Kelly or Thomas has done a thing in the pros yet. Try not to put them in the HoF before playing an actual game.

Read again. I never put either in the HOF. One of them will hardly get a chance to show much if their behind Randle El and Moss.

Considering what we invested in both and how much were paying Randle El, I don't think its unreasonable to expect him to be gone next year unless he takes a salary cut.

Read again. I never put either in the HOF. One of them will hardly get a chance to show much if their behind Randle El and Moss.

Considering what we invested in both and how much were paying Randle El, I don't think its unreasonable to expect him to be gone next year unless he takes a salary cut.

Actually, I don't know about that. His contract isn't THAT expensive in this day and age, and Kelly/Thomas are cheap (second rounders, not first). Throw in Mix and Thrash, and it's not an outrageously expensive WR corps.

There's absolutely no reason not to be optimistic and sky-high about this kid. Lots of nice posts, which is great. Oh, but there's always a miserable guy on here who has to knock a guy. Just because somebody suggested that this might be Randel El's last season with the Skins (if Thomas and Kelly are the real deal), Mr. Miserable has to say, "oh let's not put him in the Hall of Fame just yet." Hey....is Randel El lighting it up for the Skins? The earlier post was correct....Randel El is being paid way too much money to play average football, and if he doesn't step it up, it probably WILL be his last season as a Redskin. (if these new WRs are the real deal) What's the big deal? I wanna see the Skins win more than I want to hang onto "favorite players."

Also, you know what is unique about our draft? This time we have 3 players to be extremely excited about and expect to make a strong impact on the team.

But the funny thing is, it will be Rinehart that makes the biggest. The guy no one talks about like these three. This draft class will be fun to follow for the next 3 years.

I happy when we drafted Thomas. But I was extatic that we drafted Kelly, he was who I wanted us to take at #21. But now that I keep hearing stuff like this and looking at Thomas' highlights, I really think we're set at the WR position for years to come, as far as the starters.

Archived