Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

De La Hoya - Forbes

cjcdaman

Man, Steve Forbes is throwing his hat in the ring with De La Hoya?

I've gotta give this to my man, Oscar, no doubt! :laugh:

(sorry, first thought when I saw Forbes in the thread title :doh: )

The guy's name IS Steve Forbes. :laugh:

Forbes has no shot. None.

Go Forbes. :)

This is a tune up fight in every sense of the word. That said it would be funny to see Forbes win.

Sums up pretty much what I think. My brother is a De La Hoya fan and I am a Mayweather fan. So I root against Oscar everytime he fights.

Sums up pretty much what I think. My brother is a De La Hoya fan and I am a Mayweather fan. So I root against Oscar everytime he fights.

What this amounts to is a tune-up fight. The problem is that it is supposed to prepare him for a fall rematch with Floyd "jab and run" Mayweather. I WILL NOT be suckered into buying the rematch.

I remember when Felix Sturm put a whi-hi-HIPPING on Oscar and the judges gave DLH the fix.

My brother was in town from Chicago when we watched that fight. I was pissed. haha.

cjcdaman, I will probably go to that fight, if and when it happens. The undercard will likely be great, as well as the main event.

cjcdaman, I will probably go to that fight, if and when it happens. The undercard will likely be great, as well as the main event.

Man, that is awesome! I wish I could go to a big-time boxing event!

All I know is that I will look for the fight on SopCast or something. The only way I purchase the rematch is if I have 2 or more people going in on it. Mayweather did not and will not FIGHT Oscar, and I don't want to watch that again. He knows Oscar can knock him out and he knows he can't knock Oscar out.

Oscar grinds out a relatively easy win. I give Forbes credit - he took everything Oscar gave, and even got in some shots. Oscar definitely was marked up after the fight. Probably the best thing for De La Hoya. You still have to figure age is starting to catch up to Oscar, and he may not be able to muster the kind of monster effort it will take to beat Floyd M. in a rematch. Still, he looked in shape, quick, and paced his effort better than I've seen him in a long time. Looked more like the old Oscar than he has in a long while, although admittedly, against a limited, safer opponent.

On a related note, damn, Oscar's wife is hot.

Oscar is known for his punching power, Forbes spent most of his career at 130lbs. Oscar should've been able to finish him

Maybe. But you have to consider the guy had never been down in 30+ fights, much less knocked out. He could definitely defend. Given how hard it must be to truly 'get up' for this kind of fight, De La Hoya looked pretty focused. I hope he's got one really tremendous fight left in him before he hangs it up for good. I'd like to see him go out with some of the glory he started with.

But 'focused' against a guy he should have beaten decisively. Don't get me wrong he won the fight easily, but he missed a great chance to promote his next fight by being so tentative.

You thought he was 'tentative'?? Wow. I thought he was relaxed, effective, and except for a few flashes, the aggressor throughout. Emanuel Stewart called it correctly.

I think the bigger and more obvious issue is, what would Oscar be able to do with Mayweather. Based on this fight, I'd be concerned if I were in Oscar's camp. Then again, hard to 'judge' him based on fighting a lower echelon guy. Great fighters always struggle to get up against more minor opponents.

Stewart is the Mike Irvin of boxing (great on the field, homer on the screen). He had shots to finish this guy by TKO. He did not, not even close. That is the root of my tentative response.

He is considered one of the best, and fought in a warm up fight...until the last bell rang. It's not supposed to be that way.

the reason i say Oscar should've finished him is because Forbes is really a 130lb fighter. Oscar has knocked out guys as high as 154lbs. Oscar is known for his power, Forbes was there for a purpose.

i find it funny how the commentators criticize floyd for goin the distance with someone like Carlos Baldomir (who outweighed floyd by 20lbs on fight night), yet congratulate DLH for goin the distance against and inflated Lightweight in Forbes

Archived