Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reasoning why we got Durant Brooks with insight from current GT student

SkinsMaster88

First of all, I'm surprised as the rest of you that we got a punter in this draft before addressing the defensive line (11 years since a DL drafted before the 5th round by the Redskins...a record?).

That said, Durant Brooks is a great pickup. I don't know where he was predicted to go in the draft, but he is definitely the best punter in the draft. His consistency and strong leg can make him one of the best punters in the NFL early.

Georgia Tech profile: http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/brooks_durant00.html

His NFL.com profile: http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/durant-brooks?id=1683

Overview

This time, the Ray Guy Award voters got it right, as Brooks was the recipient of the 2007 award after finishing as a finalist in 2006. It was appropriate that he was named to the award, as many in the industry feel that he is the finest punter to play at the collegiate level since Ray Guy himself. Ironically, Guy has been a family friend and Brooks' mentor.

Along with kicker Travis Bell, Brooks gave the Yellow Jackets the best kicking tandem in the ountry. Boasting a 40.66-yard net average, the Tech punter ranked fourth in the nation with a 45.52-yard gross punting average in 2006, As a senior, he finished fifth nationally with a 45.06-yard average and a 40.58-yard net average.

Brooks' career average of 45.31 yards per punt attempt set an Atlantic Coast Conference all-time record and is the fourth-highest average in NCAA annals. His 57 punts for 50 yards or longer over his last two seasons set another NCAA mark. No punter in college football has been able to amass a net-yard average that the Tech athlete accomplished (43.4 avg).

Little was known about Brooks before he arrived at Georgia Tech as a transfer in 2005. He lettered three years for head coach Barney Hester at Tattnall Square Academy, where he helped lead the team to the 2001 GISA state title. He was also a basketball standout, averaging 18 points per game and setting the school record for career three-pointers.

After graduation, Brooks enrolled at Georgia Military College, spending two years punting for head coach Bert Williams. He averaged nearly 40 yards per punt over his two seasons.

In 2005, he joined the Tech program, sitting out the season while performing on the scout team.

Brooks wasted no time garnering national media attention for his towering punts at Tech in 2006. He earned All-American and All-Atlantic Coast Conference honors, in addition to being a finalist for the Ray Guy Award. He punted 79 times for 3,596 yards (45.52 avg) with 35 attempts that were downed inside the 20-yard line. He had 33 kicks returned, but the opposition managed just 164 yards, with no return longer than 18 yards, as he posted a 40.66-yard net average. He also had 27 of his punts go for 50 yards or longer.

As a senior, Brooks captured All-American and All-ACC first-team accolades, to go along with winning the Ray Guy Award. He amassed 2,929 yards on 65 attempts (45.06 avg), placing 33 inside the 20-yard line. He had 30 punts for 50 yards or longer, two shy of the NCAA single-season record. The opposition called for 21 fair catches and returned only 19 of his punts for 111 yards (5.8 avg), with none longer than 14 yards. That gave him a 40.58-yard net average.

In two seasons at Georgia Tech, Brooks shattered school and conference career records with an average of 45.31 yards on 144 punts for 6,525 yards. He had 20 kicks go for touchbacks and 68 attempts that were downed inside the 20-yard line. The opposition called for 30 fair catches and returned 52 other kicks for 275 yards (5.29 avg), finishing with a 40.63-yard net average.

Brooks put on a sensational show during Senior Bowl practices that NFL coaches are still raving about. Brooks stepped into his first punt of the day during Tuesday's session and sent it sailing. As the ball continued to fly past the other sideline and then over the head of Tampa Bay head coach Jon Gruden, Gruden simply looked up at the ball and asked, "Is that serious?"

The fact is, punts like those are not only serious for Brooks, but they have become routine. "Durant is a great talent," 49ers head coach Mike Nolan said. "I don't think teams are going to be able to sit around and hope he falls to them."

After Tuesday's practice featured the length of Brooks' punts, Wednesday focused more on directional and pooch punting drills. With the NFL scouts already aware of his leg strength, Brooks proved he could consistently down the ball inside the 10-yard line. "Everyone knows that Durant can kick the ball a good ways, but what's underrated is how incredible his hang time is," one scout said. "When you're trying to punt the ball inside the 20 it's all about hang time, and Durant does it better than anybody."

Career Notes

Had 57 punts for 50 yards or longer in a two-year span, breaking the old NCAA record of 51 by Marv Bateman of Utah (1970-71, on 133 punts)...His 30 punts for 50 yards or longer in 2007 was two shy of the NCAA single-season record of 30 by Todd Sauerbrun of West Virginia (on 72 attempts in 1994)...Brooks' career average of 45.31 yards rank fourth in the NCAA record books (150-249 punts), topped only by Sauerbrun (46,31 average on 167 punts for 7,733 yards, 1991-94), Reggie Roby of Iowa (45.63 average on 172 punts for 7,849 yards, 1979-82) and Greg Montgomery of Michigan State (45.42 average on 170 punts for 7,721 yards, 1985-87)...His 45.31-yard average broke the old Atlantic Coast Conference career record of 45.26 yards by Ryan Plackemeier of Wake Forest (220 for 9,957 yards, 2002-05) and set a new school record, topping the previous mark of 41.42 yards by Rodney Williams (178 for 7,373 yards, 1995-98)...His 45.52-yard average in 2006 ran second in school annals behind Williams' 45.64-yard average in 1997 and rank seventh on the ACC single-season record list...His 144 punt attempts placed him eighth on the school all-time record list...His 79 punts in 2006 rank third on the Tech single-season record list behind Jeff Pierce (88 in 1980) and Ben Arndt (87 in 2005)...Gained 453 yards punting vs. Boston College in 2007, the fourth-best game total in school annals, topped by Rodney Williams (553 vs. Florida State, 1997), Sean McDevitt (505 vs. Clemson, 1987) and Ron Rice (454 vs. Auburn, 1982)...His 60.0-yard average vs. North Carolina in 2007 shattered the school's old single-game record average of 53.3 yards by Rodney Williams vs. Duke in 1997.

Junior College

Brooks enrolled at Georgia Military College, spending two years punting for head coach Bert Williams...Averaged nearly 40 yards per punt over his two seasons.

High School

Attended Tattnall Square (Macon, Ga.) Academy, playing football for head coach Barney hester...Lettered three years...Helped lead the team to the 2001 GISA state title...Was also a basketball standout, averaging 18 points a game and setting the school record for career three-pointers.

------

I am a current student at Georgia Tech and have watched all the games the last 2 years. (Also would love us getting Darrell Robertson :D). Durant Brooks was a great punter for GT. We got stuck in a lot of 3rd and longs due to Chan Gailey's awful playcalling (I don't know why Chiefs got him when he couldn't even use Calvin Johnson to his potential).

Durant Brooks was consistently providing Georgia Tech with great field position. This can not be stated enough. Field position becomes more and more important in close games. With our NFC East games often coming down to the wire, it would be great to pin opponents within the 15 or 10yd line consistently. (Of course with our 1st day picks, I hope we don't have to punt that much anyhow :) )

Also, was the holder on all FGs and PATs and helped kicker Travis Bell break a few school records and become 1st-team All-ACC in 2007.

Derrick Frost's stats last year: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats;jsessionid=219107552880A51416C3CE54CA858F7A?season=2007&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&statisticPositionCategory=PUNTER&tabSeq=1&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PUNTING_AVERAGE_YARDS&d-447263-n=1

41.0 average (32nd in the NFL)

36.4 net average (25th in the NFL)

Also, to see some of his highlights:

76-yard punt:

Game against the U (Miami):

He can put a lot of hangtime on his punts, allowing for coverage to get down the field. Very consistent as mentioned. With a 6th round pick, he can provide a lot for us.

Expect to see quite a few punts over 50 yards if he can overcome any typical rookie punting/kicking struggles...sorry, but don't know that many young punters in the NFL, but I know that some young placekickers struggle.

I'll say this though, Durant Brooks isn't fazed with being in his own end zone kicking, or guys closing in. He consistently boomed punts.

I have been complaining about this position on our team feels like since forever. This kid looks AWSOME. I still cannot comprehend that seventy six yard punt from deep in his own end zone. Wouldnt have believed if I didnt see it. WOW. I think its a great pick now that I have checked out all his stats and video out...I too was thinking what a waste of a pick. Good job FO!!

Brooks beat VT single handidly in 2006 with coffin corner kicks

The Tech D would stop GT at midfield, and then Brooks would pin our O down inside the 10

Directional punting is sexy!! I hope Danny Smith is a proponent of it. I've been dying for a Skins punter to be adept at the coffin corner.

I'm not being sarcastic either.

Not sure if I like this one, the guy has upside, but no punter is ever a sure thing. It's a different game here in the pros. I'm hoping for the best though.

It is a different game, a faster, stronger game, but punting? He catches it and kicks it...that's really it. Don't overcomplicate it :D

Archived