Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Kenny Phillips gets drafted by a division rival(21 related)

xX2PORTIS6Xx

I think Kenny Phillips is about 1/2 the prospect that Taylor was. Sean was quite possibly a generational talent. Nobody will be getting another ST in Phillips or anyone else for that matter. He was and always will be one of a kind. Whoever drafts Phillips will get a solid safety, but probably not a star. In the last decade I think the Skins have picked up the two best Free Safeties in all of those drafts in Taylor and Landry.

I 2nd that post...hit the nail on the head:2cents:

I think the only one in this generation of players that will come close to who we had...was who we just got.

As much love as I had for Sean Taylor, I'm frankly not sure that there was room enough on the field for both him and LaRon Landry. In fact, I'm led to think that we would have lost one or the other within the next five years. LaRon Landry was pretty good from the SS spot, no doubt, but he would have spent the majority of his career playing in Sean's shadow.

At FS, LaRon Landry had the chance to shine, and many of the things that he did - especially getting toward the home stretch - were plays that literally put a lump in my throat as I watched him because he reminds me so much of ST when he wore #36 as a rookie. He had all the raw talent one could ask for, and had such a killer instinct at playing the position that he had to be reeled in at times.

So, as it still stands - especially with Brian Dawkins getting older - we probably have the best FS in our division, if not our conference. Can you think of any other young safety other than Landry that has this much potential for his career in the NFC? There's nobody - NOBODY.

If Kenny Phillips goes to a rival NFC East squad...or any other squad in the NFC, for that matter...he'd better not worry about finding a way to outplay ST and worry first about outplaying LaRon Landry. I'd like to believe that lightning won't strike twice in the same place, if you catch my drift. If that follows, Landry's here to stay for a LONG time and he might well become the benchmark by which every other free safety in this conference is judged.

That's why I think that the Landry/Doughty combo will work. Another poster I know said in another thread that the safety tandem was a position for 'one star and one worker'. Doughty's a hard worker, to be sure. Even in the limited action that he had in 6 starts, he piled up 53 tackles this year - not counting the hits he had on special teams before he was pressed into a starting role.

6 games isn't quite enough to show us that Doughty's the long-term answer, but he's young and definitely worth taking a year's look.

Taylor ran a 4.3 and has 11 INTs his last year at Miami.

Phillips ran a 4.55 at the combine and had 2 INTs his last year at Miami......he only had 7 INTs total in his whole career there.

To compare these two guys is beyond ridiculous....Kiper doesn't even have Phillips in his top 25. Taylor was being mentioned by some as the top overall prospect leading up to the '04 draft.

I think the only one in this generation of players that will come close to who we had...was who we just got.

As much love as I had for Sean Taylor, I'm frankly not sure that there was room enough on the field for both him and LaRon Landry. In fact, I'm led to think that we would have lost one or the other within the next five years. LaRon Landry was pretty good from the SS spot, no doubt, but he would have spent the majority of his career playing in Sean's shadow.

At FS, LaRon Landry had the chance to shine, and many of the things that he did - especially getting toward the home stretch - were plays that literally put a lump in my throat as I watched him because he reminds me so much of ST when he wore #36 as a rookie. He had all the raw talent one could ask for, and had such a killer instinct at playing the position that he had to be reeled in at times.

So, as it still stands - especially with Brian Dawkins getting older - we probably have the best FS in our division, if not our conference. Can you think of any other young safety other than Landry that has this much potential for his career in the NFC? There's nobody - NOBODY.

If Kenny Phillips goes to a rival NFC East squad...or any other squad in the NFC, for that matter...he'd better not worry about finding a way to outplay ST and worry first about outplaying LaRon Landry. I'd like to believe that lightning won't strike twice in the same place, if you catch my drift. If that follows, Landry's here to stay for a LONG time and he might well become the benchmark by which every other free safety in this conference is judged.

That's why I think that the Landry/Doughty combo will work. Another poster I know said in another thread that the safety tandem was a position for 'one star and one worker'. Doughty's a hard worker, to be sure. Even in the limited action that he had in 6 starts, he piled up 53 tackles this year - not counting the hits he had on special teams before he was pressed into a starting role.

6 games isn't quite enough to show us that Doughty's the long-term answer, but he's young and definitely worth taking a year's look.

Are you kidding me? You can't be serious about Taylor and Landry not being able to play alongside one another. There's no way Snyder would have let either one of these players go. These 2 would have been the best safety combo in the league this upcoming season. With Sean playing centerfield, this allows LaRon to play closer to the line of scrimmage and blitz the QB like he loves to do. Not only could Landry blitz whenever he could take away the other deep side of the field to help out the corners. Also with having the 2 of them back there, that took tremendous pressure off the corners knowing that you have two speed safeties that can cover deep if the corners make a mistake. Also if you noticed last year, not one team connected on a deep pass while both of them were back there. The first deep pass a team completed was Philly in the 2nd half after Sean had gone out with an injury and Pierson took his place and let Reggie Brown get behind him. Teams were afraid to go deep, WR's were afraid knowing that they couldn't stay to one side of the field to stay away from Sean because they had to deal with LaRon on the other side of the field. WR's would have had their heads on a swivel for years looking to see where Taylor and Landry were. Also Taylor was not the showboating player that needed the limelight to be effective, I don't think Landry is that player either, neither one of their ego's would have gotten in the way. From what I read last summer/fall, Sean was a great menitor for LaRon and tried to help him all that he could. If you truly believe that the combo of Landry and Doughty will be better than what we could of had with Taylor and Landry for years and years to come then you seriously have something wrong with your head.

Kenny Phillips sucks. Why are people overrating this guy?

BTW, Taylor never ran a 4.3 Taylor was a 4.5 guy. He might have played a little faster, but he never had elite speed. Just elite instincts.

I agree. In his interviews he was proud to be able to blow someone up but as the NFL network scrutiny found on tape - they couldn't find him blowing anyone up. He's waaaaay overrated. He might be good, but it's a reach.

Are you kidding me? You can't be serious about Taylor and Landry not being able to play alongside one another. There's no way Snyder would have let either one of these players go. These 2 would have been the best safety combo in the league this upcoming season. With Sean playing centerfield, this allows LaRon to play closer to the line of scrimmage and blitz the QB like he loves to do. Not only could Landry blitz whenever he could take away the other deep side of the field to help out the corners. Also with having the 2 of them back there, that took tremendous pressure off the corners knowing that you have two speed safeties that can cover deep if the corners make a mistake. Also if you noticed last year, not one team connected on a deep pass while both of them were back there. The first deep pass a team completed was Philly in the 2nd half after Sean had gone out with an injury and Pierson took his place and let Reggie Brown get behind him. Teams were afraid to go deep, WR's were afraid knowing that they couldn't stay to one side of the field to stay away from Sean because they had to deal with LaRon on the other side of the field. WR's would have had their heads on a swivel for years looking to see where Taylor and Landry were. Also Taylor was not the showboating player that needed the limelight to be effective, I don't think Landry is that player either, neither one of their ego's would have gotten in the way. From what I read last summer/fall, Sean was a great menitor for LaRon and tried to help him all that he could. If you truly believe that the combo of Landry and Doughty will be better than what we could of had with Taylor and Landry for years and years to come then you seriously have something wrong with your head.

Let me clarify something. My point was that, after seeing the way Landry played free safety after Sean's passing, it made me wonder if Landry could have been used to his full potential at the strong safety spot. Sean could come down to the line and hit the running back just like Landry. Actually, with as many tackles as he racked up in 2006, he might as well have been a fourth linebacker. Another point I was trying to make is that we've been extremely spoiled in terms of safeties for a few years now. Not many teams have had - nor will many ever have - the amount of talent we had at the safety position in the first half of 2007.

I never said that Landry/Doughty was better than Taylor/Landry. My point was, since we obviously can't have Taylor/Landry now and that's a shame, I'm not going to complain about Landry/Doughty because Landry, very frankly, hasn't proven himself to be a huge dropoff in talent as an INDIVIDUAL player than Taylor. With a few years' experience, the sky's the limit for Landry's career as well.

I would have loved the ST/LL combo. I was excited about it, once I saw how much of a beast Landry was. But Landry was an even better FS than he was a SS. If it weren't for Sean, Landry, who took the duties of a FS while with LSU (besides the occasional blitz that put an Alabama quarterback in a body bag), would have been plugged in immediately at the FS position. But since SS was our real position of need after the Archuleta fiasco...he ended up there.

By the way, for anyone who's wondering...Sean Taylor was a 4.45 at the combine (which does nothing to indicate game speed, BTW.) That's above average for a safety, especially when you consider that Sean Taylor was about one good steak dinner away from being an OLB at 230 pounds his rookie year.

Landry had 4.35 speed at the combine. If he continues to work on his instincts, he'll be a weapon.

If you can't figure out that Taylor was a once in a lifetime player, and you think that Phillips or anyone else can come even close to him, then you're out of your mind. Landry is phenomenal, but nobody is, was, or will be Sean Taylor.

Best answer in the thread.

And I agree with NC he ain't no 21,.

Right...but, looking at it from an objective standpoint, I can't help feeling that Sean's death more than his play has elevated him to this untouchable status among some of the members of this forum. There isn't anybody as good as ST in the league NOW, but I think we'll have to wait on LL for about 3 years because, IMO, he's the first and only one with the potential to equal ST. He already came out of college with a step on Sean and has a lot of the same instincts and the same style of play. So, guys, be objective. Don't ever say that there won't ever be anyone better than 21. If you take that attitude, nothing LaRon Landry does (including piling up 93 tackles in a season like he did this year) will ever be good enough for you guys.

This thread and it's creator are absolutely retarded, and I find this thread offensive. How can you say that a team in the NFC East by drafting Phillips would get "what we had"? That's disrespectful to Sean, Sean was much more talented and sought after coming out of Miami, we took him with the 5th pick; while Phillips is being projected in the mid-to-late 1st round. Also to say Phillips will be the next ST isn't fair to ST or Phillips, I hope the Skins don't draft Phillips because of people like you. You say Phillips is the next Taylor, do you realize how much pressure Phillips would be under? Also there's no way Phillips could live up to those standards. Phillips would not be able to live up to the pressure and hype that would be placed on him, especially being drafted #21 and playing the same position ST played at the same college. If another NFC East team drafts Phillips good for them, but to say they are getting the player we just lost, R.I.P. ST, is just plain idiotic and disrespectful by all means.

Paragraphs are your friend :2cents:

Also, get over it. Eventually, we are going to have to draft a saftey one day and it's disrespectful to whomever fills that position to constantly comapare them to Sean Taylor. I love Taylor and it sucks that he was taken from us, but it's time to move on.

How would you feel if Phillips gets drafted by a division rival? I know in my

case, I would hate it. It would feel like they(:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck) get what

we had. I know we still have Landry but its the fact that its the next big thing,

from the U, playing the same position, with the POTENTIAL to be just as big.In

most mocks they have him going 19th to the Eagles ,everytime I see that it

makes me sick and sommewhat sad :( (I think we all know why).Am I the only

one who feels like this?

Don't really matter cause he can't cover worth of you know what, all he can do is hit, he's kinda like a Roy Williams! :dallasuck

He's not what Sean was, not even close. He may turn out to be a solid player, and he has decent size, but he has neither the power, the grace, nor the instincts of Sean. Try finding a kenny phillips highlight video. They don't exist. All you'll find is some average tackles that any safety could make. I wish him well and hope he has a good career but he's just another safety passing through the U, nothing more.

I don't think Phillips is the player ST was. I think the kid from ASU has ST attributes. Just in terms of speed. He's like 6'2" 225 and runs a 4.3 forty. The knock on himis his durability. He's big runs like a deer. He's physical too. Of course not like ST. Like someone said earlier, I think it is kinda unrealistic to try and replace ST. ST was the exception and not the rule. To be that big and be able to play free safety. ST was a freak of nature.

I have no feelings about any other player that isn't a Redskin. He may be a star, he may not be. Not sure that Philly will go safety anyways. It's not our top priority and I get mad at ANY of the draft picks made by our division rivals if I think they'll turn into something good regardless of player/position/school.

Giants might get him if he drops that far but I doubt it.

I really like Phillips because he has enormous coverage skills. He used to be a cornerback and got moved to safety. Landry is a FS but he has the ability to blow up people in the line of scrimmage so he would fit as a SS too.

Phillips is a sure bet not to be a solid 10 year start but he doesn't have much upside. I still hope we take him.

Wow are you on your period? I'm not disrespecting Sean Taylor.It's just my opinion I didnt know I was so wrong.

Dude your not wrong, there are so many pansies on this site ****ing and griping about anything. It seems if you don't have 1200 posts your not supposed to give thought, make a thread or anything. :doh:

The issue is Phillips may be the best Safety in the draft this year and since he is from The U and plays safety there will be ST comparisons.

Me personally I would love to draft him, I think I would prefer Phillips and Landry back there over Reed Doughty. I don't know why so many people here are saying we don't need a safety, when we surely do when all we have is some what 7th round safety from colorado playing back there. Anyway don't let these pretentous calloused asses upset you, they are entitled to thier own opinions and mostly they like to pick on the nOObs probably because they didn't get any last night, or this century probably.... :laugh:

I think Kenny Phillips is about 1/2 the prospect that Taylor was. Sean was quite possibly a generational talent. Nobody will be getting another ST in Phillips or anyone else for that matter. He was and always will be one of a kind. Whoever drafts Phillips will get a solid safety, but probably not a star. In the last decade I think the Skins have picked up the two best Free Safeties in all of those drafts in Taylor and Landry.

Totally agree. I remember the talent scouts saying that Taylor was the best defensive talent in the draft, period. I don't see another player coming out of college with his talent for some time.

Archived