Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Going to Iraq- don't want to miss Skins!

seantaylor=god

AFN ( atleast 3 channels of it) will each show a different game. You will always see the nationally televised game (season opener) and I dont think that i have ever missed a Skins / Cowboys game while here (3 football seasons). If we get a Monday or Thursday nighter, you will be able to watch those as well. Basically, dont think that you wont be able to see the Skins Play, but then again dont think that you will be able to see every game.

WRT to the internet, they block out alot of sites, so be careful before you go out and do the slingblox thing. THere isnt much b/w so you cannot stream XXX either.

Do you know wher you are going to be at in this wonderful country?

Thank you for your service, and HTTR!

When I was deployed to Iraq, we had AFN (every Soldiers favorite TV channel) and they carried 3 games. I also signed up for NFL field pass on NFL.com and could listen to most games. I know what it was like 2 years ago but you should be able to get the internet fed into your room, get with the commo guy (everyones best friend) and you can work a deal with the internet cafes (if you are close enough) and run a line from them. You might also want to look up information on slingbox, I'm not sure how it works but it looked as if it could work. If you don't know what it is, it allows you to watch tv anywhere you have an internet connection as it is tied in with your home tv.

Good luck and God Bless over there! As a fellow Soldier, my prayers are with you.

Hey everybody. I'm a sometime poster, but long time lurker on this site. I am an Army officer deploying to Iraq in the next few months and I want to be able to watch the games in Iraq. I have Direct TV and NFL Sunday ticket, so my wife can record the games on DVR. Is there a way to put it on DVDs? I'd appreciate any info. Thanks!

Hail SKINS!

Good luck my friend and here is some information for you. I was there during the invasion and during the god awful skins season that followed.

The military network has multiple stations via satelight (SP) that will show most of the games live. Since the move to lessen the us presence amoung most of the population in late 04/ early 05 most of the US forces have been consolidated to superbases. Prior to that we were living in government compounds, universities, etc etc in battalion or even company size elements amoungst the population. Even then I was able to watch live about 12 of the skins games that year.

That was before nearly every base was hooked up to the internet cafe's in late 04. I can only imagine that it has gotten better as we where national guard and we got the scraps on the pile and we where still able to get a dish and few computers.

The key for you guys (and as an officer I am ordering you to)will be when you get into country or before you go to acquire as many AFN satellite dishes a humanly possible. (Hit up the units that are leaving, they will sell you everything and anything to make some quick cash and lighten their load through customs)

For the most part they will show the NFC one week and the AFC the next, they will show the prime time games (Thursday, Sunday, Monday). So check the schedule and the way the skins played the year I was there it just so happened they where the only one o clock game most of the year and the 4 oclock games where agains dallas and such. Plus the afc weeks most of the time where the skins interdivisional weeks. It was sweet, too bad we sucked that year.

Good luck, keep your head down, watch for potholes, dead animals, objects hanging from bridges, wires 6 ft off the ground across the road, normally busy areas suddenly quiet, and prepare to pick sand out crevices you didn't know you had for the next two years after you get back.

I'll just reiterate the AFN thing. 2006 season I was able to watch about 75% of the Redskins games live. Keep in mind though, they'll be on starting around 20-2100 for the early games and 0400ish for the primetime games.

I am currently at Victory Base, and AFN was pretty regular at showing Skins games later in the season. If you can, and someone in the states likes you, get a Slingbox. I know at most FOBs there is commercialized internet. I only missed 3 games once I deployed in the middle of last season.

Hey everybody. I'm a sometime poster, but long time lurker on this site. I am an Army officer deploying to Iraq in the next few months and I want to be able to watch the games in Iraq. I have Direct TV and NFL Sunday ticket, so my wife can record the games on DVR. Is there a way to put it on DVDs? I'd appreciate any info. Thanks!

Hail SKINS!

Hey dude, for what it's worth...thank you so much for your service. God-bless and safe-returns--after some butt-kickin! :cheers:

Archived