Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cooley on Sirius NFL Radio

Fifty Gut

I started listening half way through the interview, but here's what I heard...

- there's much confidence among the team that Jason will have no problems picking up new offense

- Jason is the kind of guy that regardless of the situation, it'll never show on his face, always calm, cool and collected, instills great confidence in the team

- feels the chemistry on the team is strong. everything that is player driven, the locker room, offensive huddle, is all the same. he feels the team really bonded last year and that hasn't changed. a family atmosphere. feels lucky that he's part of one of the few teams with no turnover this offseason.

Hopefully someone else heard the full interivew and can fill in the blanks. :helmet:

- Jason is the kind of guy that regardless of the situation, it'll never show on his face, always calm, cool and collected, instills great confidence in the team

this is why i think Jason is the longterm answer...he can't be rattled

Thats also why I think Zorn and Campbell will work well together. Zorn mentioned on several occasions that he wants his team to stay calm and collected, but mentioned he really emphasizes this to the QB as he feels thats the position that requires it the most.

So far everything everything I am hearing, meshes well. But lets see how it translates onto the field.

he can be rattled, he just doesn't show it. Like cooley said in the interview he doesn't show it. He was rattled by the fact that Collins made him look bad last year and I am sure he has been looking over his shoulder ever since. I really hope JC prevails because he is truly the better option for long term success than TC

In my opinion, TC was the better option last year because he had more experience with Saunders' offensive schemes more than anything, he was a veteran in a system that he had been learning and perfecting for years. JC isn't looking over his shoulder, if anything, he is looking to TC as a mentor not as a competitor for the starting job as the organization has made it very clear that JC is going to be the starter barring any injuries.

he can be rattled, he just doesn't show it. Like cooley said in the interview he doesn't show it. He was rattled by the fact that Collins made him look bad last year and I am sure he has been looking over his shoulder ever since. I really hope JC prevails because he is truly the better option for long term success than TC

How did Collins make him look bad? Collins came in and played like he spent the past 10 years in that system. Campbell looked like a QB who was still in his first 16 games as a starter.

Todd Collins made Campbell look bad ? To you maybe . Did you watch any of the last 4 games?.....

Collins came in and did a great job much better than could have been expected for a 10 year back up but he wasn't Joe Thiesman, or Tom Brady . He stunk in Seattle, the two ints were entirley on him, bad reads bad throws and he had not been able to adjust to the pass rush . He stunk in his first full game in charge in NY. 36% compleation and a 160 some yards. His best game was against the vikes who forgot to run the ball at us at all . The bears and the cowboys managed to be just that much worse than us as a team . People tend to also forget the team was comming together, players were getting healthy and backups settled in thier roles . The leadership of Portis and Moss following Taylors passing really helped drive the team as well . Collins was in the right place at the right time . Sometimes that is all you need .

cambell really is a good qb, and will be for a while. Saunders' system was not the best solution for a young talent heavy, yet still raw qb. saunders' system is meant for michigan graduate savy back up vets to succeed in. jim zorn seems to be more of a players coach and is going to let the players make the plays more then the timing patterns, which is what the players wanted last year. with jc and jz together, i think we have the best shot at developing potential into reality, because now the potential seems a lot more un-filtered then in the past.

Todd Collins made Campbell look bad ? To you maybe . Did you watch any of the last 4 games?.....

Collins came in and did a great job much better than could have been expected for a 10 year back up but he wasn't Joe Thiesman, or Tom Brady . He stunk in Seattle, the two ints were entirley on him, bad reads bad throws and he had not been able to adjust to the pass rush . He stunk in his first full game in charge in NY. 36% compleation and a 160 some yards. His best game was against the vikes who forgot to run the ball at us at all . The bears and the cowboys managed to be just that much worse than us as a team . People tend to also forget the team was comming together, players were getting healthy and backups settled in thier roles . The leadership of Portis and Moss following Taylors passing really helped drive the team as well . Collins was in the right place at the right time . Sometimes that is all you need .

Thank you man, after I read the post about JC looking over his shoulder, I was like are you kidding? Do you watch football? Why would Campbell look better, being his first full season starting this offense, then a seasoned 10-year vet who has done nothing BUT THIS SYSTEM. It makes perfect sense that, yeah, TC slid right in and did fine, but its because he knows the system in and out, along with the fact the team was finally pulling together.

Everyone forgets that he didn't play outstanding, he managed the game very well though. I don't believe there's a person on this board that would say he didn't do better than expected, but how much did anyone expect? He did good for filling in and managing the game, JC still hasn't full developed but he's getting there. Give him his due for another season w/ Zorn, its not like he didn't win a National Championship with a WCO!

In my opinion, TC was the better option last year because he had more experience with Saunders' offensive schemes more than anything, he was a veteran in a system that he had been learning and perfecting for years. JC isn't looking over his shoulder, if anything, he is looking to TC as a mentor not as a competitor for the starting job as the organization has made it very clear that JC is going to be the starter barring any injuries.

This is why we need to rely on talent and not on systems. Talent and Chemistry on Offense and Defense wins SuperBowl. I am an idiot because i didn't read your post all the way through.

Did you eat paint chips as a kid. Cut the TC cord already. He isn't the answer last year or this year.

I don't think he meant that, I'm pretty sure he just means that TC did well last year. You are right though, he wasn't the answer this year or last, he was just right place, right time.

EDIT: Sorry, saw your edited post, my bad

hey don't beat me up for my opinion, Why else did JC get depressed and the end of last season. It had been reported on JLC's blog that everyone could tell he wasn't right when TC was playing.

Collins came in and played really good games that resulted in wins, and most fans were on the TC bandwagon during that time. Whenever the backup comes in and performs better it makes the starter look bad. I know Campbell was in his first season as a starter and he was handcuffed because the playcalling was different, but he did get rattled and that was the point I was trying to make.

JC is like every other QB and DOES get rattled.

hey don't beat me up for my opinion, Why else did JC get depressed and the end of last season. It had been reported on JLC's blog that everyone could tell he wasn't right when TC was playing.

Collins came in and played really good games that resulted in wins, and most fans were on the TC bandwagon during that time. Whenever the backup comes in and performs better it makes the starter look bad. I know Campbell was in his first season as a starter and he was handcuffed because the playcalling was different, but he did get rattled and that was the point I was trying to make.

I will refer you to this post...

Originally Posted by gortiz

Yeah, I think you missed the part where we were talking about Jason Campbell ...

You see here's the thing, Jason Campbell can't be rattled ...

Thats also why I think Zorn and Campbell will work well together. Zorn mentioned on several occasions that he wants his team to stay calm and collected, but mentioned he really emphasizes this to the QB as he feels thats the position that requires it the most.

So far everything everything I am hearing, meshes well. But lets see how it translates onto the field.

I'm optimistic, but like you, taking a wait-and-see approach.

With the game on the line, down by a touchdown, can Zorn help teach Campbell to march down the field with a minute or two to go and win it? Because last year we let a couple games get away from us at Dallas and at Tampa. Hopefully Zorn can get him over the hump!

Why else did JC get depressed and the end of last season. It had been reported on JLC's blog that everyone could tell he wasn't right when TC was playing.

what proof other than what JLC wrote in his blog that JC was depressed was there? I think it's just as likely he was upset that he got injured and couldn't play and help the team, more so than he was "jealous" of another teammates success. None of us know what or how he felt at the time and to claim so is nothing more than rumor spreading.

Whenever the backup comes in and performs better it makes the starter look bad.

Sorry, but this is a ridiculous assumption. JC got injured, not benched because of poor performance.

I know Campbell was in his first season as a starter and he was handcuffed because the playcalling was different, but he did get rattled and that was the point I was trying to make.

... the only thing that rattled JC was two 300lb lineman pulling him to the ground from behind and landing directly onto his knee. other than the excruciating pain he must have been in, he never showed he was rattled in any way what so ever.

Not trying to call you out, and it's nothing personal .... but I think the reason folks are responding to you with criticisms is that most of your comments are nothing more than random guesses, or a "shots in the dark" as they say. not saying you couldn't be onto something, but there is no proof in the pudding. Nothing personal. :cheers:

I

- there's much confidence among the team that Jason will have no problems picking up new offense

I like Jason a great deal, and I think (and hope) he can be a good QB.

However, what else could Cooley really say? That he and the recievers all hate him and wish Brunell was still here?

It's almost impossible to really get any useful info from thise interviews, but I am happy thay had a Redskin on the show.

:jerk: :bsflag:

you cant really use the first game in NY as an argument. The wind was crazy that game and neither quarterback did anything worth talking about because of it.

the giants game there was like 40 MPH wind gusts....

Archived