Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Things to do in San Diego

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Ahhh, San Diego. My favorite city in the country. I got family down there, so I visit quite often. I'm actually looking to move down there, it's a smaller version of LA that is cleaner, easier to get around, more laid back, and even better weather. In addition to everything mentioned:

Best hamburger I've ever had: Hodad's, Ocean Beach. 5010 Newport Ave. Amazing burgers, onion rings, etc..got some good beers too. Across the street from The Black, an eclectic store full of various trinkets. About 500 feet from the sand.

Point Loma Seafoods. 2805 Emerson St. The best seafood on the Pacific. Main Ave. version in Diego, just in one restaurant. Superb crab, scallop, shrimp, and calamari sandwiches. I mean the bombest.

Mission Beach. My favorite beach in Diego. So many beautiful honeys, you'll have a hard time keeping your hands off them. Tons of cool bars, shops, and the bay is on the other side.

Of course Sea World and The Zoo, but about 45 miles north is The Wild Animal Park, that is a nice complement to the zoo.

Enjoy. Shoot, you've motivated me to go down there this weekend.

The booze ban will last forever. Once it hit the books it made it near impossible to repeal.

I'm not staying here for the 4th this year. I going down to Mexico where you still have the freedom to drink on the beach.

Mexico for 4th of July? Seems like Cinco De Mayo is the time to go there.

Thanks for all the feedback. MissU, I'm going to be staying at the Sheraton Hotel & Marina which is right off of Harbor Island Dr. near the Airport.

Edit: Oh and I'm flying out on United Airlines.

Thanks for all the feedback. MissU, I'm going to be staying at the Sheraton Hotel & Marina which is right off of Harbor Island Dr. near the Airport.

I've been enjoying the 4th of July on a beach with booze for too long to give it up right now. Mexico is the only place I can think of where I can still do that.

I've been enjoying the 4th of July on a beach with booze for too long to give it up right now. Mexico is the only place I can think of where I can still do that.

believe you me Sebowski we are riding in the same boat.

Pretty soon you won't be able to get into Mexico without a passport which is going to SUCK because I usually go camping at K-58 at least 4 times a year.

SSM, if you haven't figured it out yet, I'll come clean.

The Brass Rail is a gay bar. It may be the gayest bar. The Brass Rail is so gay, other gay bars look at it, and go "Damn! That's gay!"

I used to work across the street in an office in the Union Bank building. Whenever we got a new employee from Idaho or somewhere, we'd tell him to meet us over at the Brass Rail for a drink after work, and then none of us would show up. It only worked once, but damn, it was funny.

Anyway, enjoy your trip. It really is a nice place to just hang out.

Yeah, I picked up on that. After BigMike said that he wasn't going to comment on that one, I figured something was up.

I'm glad I caught it though, because I about to put that on the list of places to go. My buddies would have never let me live that down.

you're staying right in the city then...I stayed at the Marriott on Harbor Drive last month for my birthday- you'll be right next to all the cruise ships. Go on a dinner cruise! They're expensive, but SO much fun! Hornblower is the most popular, but there are others.

You'll also be right next to the San Diego Maritime Museum and the USS Midway. The Midway looks really cool, I haven't been on it, but we drove by it last month.

The Convention Center is down the street, but I don't think there's anything going on this weekend. You should definitely go down by Petco and check out the Tin Fish restaurant. It's right outside the stadium and a really cool place. They usually have live music outside.

Rockin' Baja Lobster is also in that area, and there's a place similar to that pizza place in Adams Morgan if you want a large late night pizza. There's a cool sports bar- I think it's called Trophys- near the stadium and a cool bar with pool/foozeball tables and adult games. I don't know what it's called, but it's in that vicinity.

EDIT: Oh, and you should hit up Old Town. A trolley will take you right there. It's an area that looks like an old fashioned spanish town. GREAT Mexican Food. Very cute.

The Strip Club is a steak house in the gaslamp that lets you cook your own steak and its reasonable.

On Broadway is the swanky club downtown that alot of people like to go to.

They just opened a Hard Rock and it is pretty cool.

The Midway is pretty cool if you are into military ships and history.

Across the bay is Coronado and they have a great beach!!

Martini Ranch is always fun too.

EDIT: Oh, and you should hit up Old Town. A trolley will take you right there. It's an area that looks like an old fashioned spanish town. GREAT Mexican Food. Very cute.

DAMN I forgot Old Town. Great mexican food places and they got the Whaley House. That place is SPOOKY man!! they do tours of this house that was certified haunted and on The Discovery Channel as well.

Martini Ranch is always fun too.

DAMN I forgot Old Town. Great mexican food places and they got the Whaley House. That place is SPOOKY man!! they do tours of this house that was certified haunted and on The Discovery Channel as well.

I've heard Martini Ranch is good. BUT...if you're really looking for a good club, go to stingaree. http://www.stingsandiego.com/ The rooftop is really cool and it's like nothing I've seen before. It's the one club you should try to make it to. I think there's a $20 cover, though, so maybe try and get a pass.

I've heard Martini Ranch is good. BUT...if you're really looking for a good club, go to stingaree. http://www.stingsandiego.com/ The rooftop is really cool and it's like nothing I've seen before. It's the one club you should try to make it to. I think there's a $20 cover, though, so maybe try and get a pass.

Man, I forgot Stingaree too!!

Honestly though I am a beach bar kind of guy. I like hanging out and just listening to a jukebox and drinking.

OB is the place to do stuff like that.

PB is where all the college girls go.

MB is good during the day but I havent ever really partied at any bar besides Canes.

Try to stay north of the 54 freeway if possible. There isnt really much down there tourist wise and its out of the way.

Honestly though I am a beach bar kind of guy. I like hanging out and just listening to a jukebox and drinking.

MB is good during the day but I havent ever really partied at any bar besides Canes.

Try to stay north of the 54 freeway if possible. There isnt really much down there tourist wise and its out of the way.

I like MB at night. The Beach Comber used to have 25 cent beers for a copule hours on Fridays. Not sure if they still do. The Sandbar is really cool and so is the place right by it. I don't remember the name. The crowd is a mix of what you'd find in PB and what you'd find in OB.

I think I'm going to go to Canes on May 2nd to see SOJA! I've been there once, but I was sick and had to leave early. I love beach bars. I'm not much of a clubber, but Stingaree was a cool place I went once with some girlfriends.

PB also has a bar called The Tavern...like Mike said, it is a college crowd. I've been to Cass Street many times, that place is a good dive bar. They have shuffleboard! I've been to a "club" in PB, too, but I don't remember what it was called. I liked it, though. Had cheap Blue Moons, I remember that:) There's also a place on Garnet that's owned by some dudes from Pennsylvania...they have Yuengling! You won't find Yuengling anywhere else, so if you like it, head over there. You'll see a bunch of Steelers crap in there. I think they're VTech fans as well.

I think I'm going to go to Canes on May 2nd to see SOJA! I've been there once, but I was sick and had to leave early. I love beach bars. I'm not much of a clubber, but Stingaree was a cool place I went once with some girlfriends.

PB also has a bar called The Tavern...like Mike said, it is a college crowd. I've been to Cass Street many times, that place is a good dive bar. They have shuffleboard! I've been to a "club" in PB, too, but I don't remember what it was called. I liked it, though. Had cheap Blue Moons, I remember that:) There's also a place on Garnet that's owned by some dudes from Pennsylvania...they have Yuengling! You won't find Yuengling anywhere else, so if you like it, head over there. You'll see a bunch of Steelers crap in there. I think they're VTech fans as well.

I brawled with a bunch of dudes from that bar. They were all wearing shirts that said "F**K Maryland" in VT colors and I was wearing my Merriman Terps jersey. They started, I started and then we just went for it.

The Silver Fox is a dive bar but really cheap drinks.

Sundays The Broken Yolk has the best brunch and 6 dollar bottles of champagne!!

My boy Kona works the door at The Tavern. nice spot

Typhoon Saloon is always a good time.

PB Bar & Grill is good for meat market shopping.

So is Moondoggies.

We used to just do pub crawls and start off down at PB Bar and Grill and just work our way down. 2 drinks at each bar and then move on. Thats how I got into that fight...:laugh:

I brawled with a bunch of dudes from that bar. They were all wearing shirts that said "F**K Maryland" in VT colors and I was wearing my Merriman Terps jersey. They started, I started and then we just went for it.

The Silver Fox is a dive bar but really cheap drinks.

Sundays The Broken Yolk has the best brunch and 6 dollar bottles of champagne!!

My boy Kona works the door at The Tavern. nice spot

Typhoon Saloon is always a good time.

PB Bar & Grill is good for meat market shopping.

So is Moondoggies.

We used to just do pub crawls and start off down at PB Bar and Grill and just work our way down. 2 drinks at each bar and then move on. Thats how I got into that fight...:laugh:

typhoon saloon! I think that's the place I was trying to think of. That place is fun... the dance floor is cool, and it's nice and open.

Man, you're making me want to go down to PB! I have to shop at The Closet... the BEST place for cheap shoes and clothes. :D

typhoon saloon! I think that's the place I was trying to think of. That place is fun... the dance floor is cool, and it's nice and open.

Man, you're making me want to go down to PB! I have to shop at The Closet... the BEST place for cheap shoes and clothes. :D

you just lost me with shopping...:laugh:

we used to hit up the buffalo exchange for clothes too. that place was cool.

I love Shawne Merriman. That's my next jersey. I think I'm going to stay in SD for at least another year. This thread is making me love it so much more. I WILL come to Winstons for football!

I love Shawne Merriman. That's my next jersey. I think I'm going to stay in SD for at least another year. This thread is making me love it so much more. I WILL come to Winstons for football!

I am going to hold you to that now.

Why would you ever leave in the first place?

I am going to hold you to that now.

Why would you ever leave in the first place?

have you been watching the news? They're firing teachers left and right because of budget cuts. There's a teacher who has been at my current school for 4 years and she is not tenured yet, and every year she has to re-apply and re-interview for her job. The school districts micromanage everything, and it's totally different from VA where the principal has more say than the county. The principals in SD are pretty much voiceless. I was hired as a temporary teacher this past year, because they needed someone to alleviate overcrowding. My contract ends on June 17, and if I want to work at the same place next year, I have to re-apply and re-interview. I love the school I work at and the people I work with, but the district SUCKS. I get paid about $7000 less than I did when I worked for FFX County.

I basically don't have an income over the summer as of now, so I'm actually going to try and get a second job at Stone Brewery and try and work there over the summer, and just try to get another teaching job.

Virginia is just SO much better for teaching, but hopefully I can find a job with a good district that isn't so micromanaged.

When I moved to SD last year I didn't have a certain part of my credential that CA needed- an English Language Learner certificate. I passed all of the tests (a 7 hour, $250, 3 essay test!!) so I am fully certified now, so it should be easier to get a job. BUT... it SUCKS not knowing if I have a job. In Ffx Co., I knew I had a job the year before. I could be hired in NOVA within a couple weeks. It's not like that out there.

Anyway, TMI? :silly:

Sorry to hijack your thread, sassy. It's just been a stressful time!

have you been watching the news? They're firing teachers left and right because of budget cuts. There's a teacher who has been at my current school for 4 years and she is not tenured yet, and every year she has to re-apply and re-interview for her job. The school districts micromanage everything, and it's totally different from VA where the principal has more say than the county. The principals in SD are pretty much voiceless. I was hired as a temporary teacher this past year, because they needed someone to alleviate overcrowding. My contract ends on June 17, and if I want to work at the same place next year, I have to re-apply and re-interview. I love the school I work at and the people I work with, but the district SUCKS. I get paid about $7000 less than I did when I worked for FFX County.

I basically don't have an income over the summer as of now, so I'm actually going to try and get a second job at Stone Brewery and try and work there over the summer, and just try to get another teaching job.

Virginia is just SO much better for teaching, but hopefully I can find a job with a good district that isn't so micromanaged.

When I moved to SD last year I didn't have a certain part of my credential that CA needed- an English Language Learner certificate. I passed all of the tests (a 7 hour, $250, 3 essay test!!) so I am fully certified now, so it should be easier to get a job. BUT... it SUCKS not knowing if I have a job. In Ffx Co., I knew I had a job the year before. I could be hired in NOVA within a couple weeks. It's not like that out there.

Anyway, TMI? :silly:

Sorry to hijack your thread, sassy. It's just been a stressful time!

Oh yeah, my friend's wife just got her pink slip in the mail last Friday. I forgot you were a teacher. :(

From one tourist to another:

The Zoo rocks. Best Zoo in the world, bar none. Go.

Sea World sucks. No trees, concrete, crowded, blah. Don't go.

La Jolla is beautiful, mostly full of rich old widows but still worth it. Some tidepools and a cave there too. There is a great beach in the north end of La Jolla for hanging out (just south of Scripps pier).

Coronado is also a great beach - and the Hotel Del Coronado is a landmark. Pacific Beach is great - just go to the damn beach and don't worry about anything else.

I'm not a fan of San Diego as far as city neighborhoods go - it's really a car town. But the weather and scenery is spectacular.

From one tourist to another:

The Zoo rocks. Best Zoo in the world, bar none. Go.

Sea World sucks. No trees, concrete, crowded, blah. Don't go.

La Jolla is beautiful, mostly full of rich old widows but still worth it. Some tidepools and a cave there too. There is a great beach in the north end of La Jolla for hanging out (just south of Scripps pier).

Coronado is also a great beach - and the Hotel Del Coronado is a landmark. Pacific Beach is great - just go to the damn beach and don't worry about anything else.

I'm not a fan of San Diego as far as city neighborhoods go - it's really a car town. But the weather and scenery is spectacular.

The buses and trolley have gotten better but you're right about pretty much needing a car to get around.

Sea World is fun though if you have never been to a place like that.

The buses and trolley have gotten better but you're right about pretty much needing a car to get around.

Yeah, they are better expecially for commuting. The thing is, San Diego is mostly large suburban style residential neighborhoods connected by freeways. You don't have too many old neighborhoods worth wandering around in, other than the little Gaslamp quarter. Downtown is empty.

It's kind of like LA, or even more, like Orange County. It's a fantastic place because of the weather and the great places you can go in your car - the beach, the mountains, Balboa Park, Mexico, etc. It's just not very ... city-ish. Lots of people love living there and its great to visit.

Sea World is fun though if you have never been to a place like that.

I guess. I found it depressing. Too much concrete painted baby blue. The Zoo is so much better in every way, and its up in Balboa Park with lots of other nice things.

Archived