Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do stupid people operate computers? (I hate Ebay)

Raub

Have to rant...

I listed some extra dumbbells I have on Ebay. They are a pair of 10lb, 20lb, and 30lb dumbbells. When I listed them, I chose Local Pickup as the only shipping option and clearly stated in the item description that if they really want them shipped, they better be prepared to pay to ship 20lbs, 40lbs, or 60lbs. Well, with local pickup being the only option, the shipping cost appears as free when you look at the list of items. Last week someone buys the 10lb pair, but they live in NY. I ask them if they want them shipped and give the cost. They tell me that they don't want them. So....I kindly immediately give them their purchase price back through PayPal, minus the Ebay listing fee that I had to pay out of my pocket. Today they leave me negative feedback, saying I was rude and asked for more money after they paid. Are they retarded? Did they really think I would ship a 20lb package for free? Did they not go back and re-read the listing and see that they obviously got it wrong?

I was going to just let it slide and not even leave them feedback, honest mistake on their part, right? But after I saw they had the nerve to leave me negative feedback, I had to go off on their feedback.

I re-listed the pair of 10lbs bells and today I get an email from a guy who bought them, and is the high bidder on the other 2 sets. He asks me how much to ship them to Massachusetts! Despite the fact the I went back and put LOCAL PICKUP ONLY in capital letters in the description. He wants 120lbs shipped to Massachusetts. :laugh:

How do these people manage to operate computers with their limited cognitive skills?

Can you even leave feedback for buyers anymore? I thought they removed that feature from ebay. If it's still gone, this is a perfect example of why it shouldn't be.

Yes, you can still leave feedback for buyers.

My wife has bought quite a few items from idiots on eBay. Pics and descriptions look good but the seller is never thorough it seems. For example, she bought a Dean Koontz book that was supposedly in mint condition. We get the book and the cover is torn in the bottom right corner (this wasn't in the picture on eBay), and there is a ton of writing on the inside cover. Since the item really can't be replaced and we couldn't get a refund, she left a NEUTRAL feedback. Indicating that the item was received but was torn and had writing in it which was not noted in the auction. A neutral feedback does not hurt your rating. The jackhole gave my wife a NEGATIVE! All that my wife did was promptly pay the guy within 5 minutes of the auction ending and was more than polite regarding the issues with the book.

My favorite eBay experience consisted of finding a really top rate photographer and making bids on multiple photos he had listed. He then sends me an email threatening me if I am some dead beat bidder(at the time I had a profile of 100% positives with about 250 transactions) and telling me I had better pay if I won any of his items and how he was tired of being ripped off by peeps on eBay(remember the auctions are still going on at this point- I haven't even won anything)...then he started spamming me with 'specials' from his personal website

ebay needs to do something about sellers who wait till the buyer sends feedback. Buyer's end of the transaction is complete and either terrible or geat depending on teh money transaction. Seller should be required to leave feedback before the buyer can leave feedback.

Forget computers, how do these people continue breathing?

At least ebay gives you the option to explain yourself on negative feedback you get...like someone is an idiot and leaves some negative feedback like the guy did for you, so you can write under his negative feedback thing what REALLY happened.

ebay needs to do something about sellers who wait till the buyer sends feedback. Buyer's end of the transaction is complete and either terrible or geat depending on teh money transaction. Seller should be required to leave feedback before the buyer can leave feedback.

I disagree. The buyer's end of the deal isn't complete until he or she confirms that the product has been received and is as described. Buyers can be scammers too.

I disagree. The buyer's end of the deal isn't complete until he or she confirms that the product has been received and is as described. Buyers can be scammers too.

I strongly, strongly disagree with your argument. I have argued about this with others ad nauseam.

There are two parts to the implied purchase contract. The buyer's duty is to provide payment in a timely manner, period. The seller's responsibility is to get the item to the buyer safely and quickly.

The only reason sellers refuse to leave feedback before their buyer's is because it removes all their leverage in the event that a disgruntled customer wants to tag them with negative feedback. The only deterrent to leaving negative feedback is the threat of reciprocal action.

The problem with this asinine way of doing business is that you assume everyone is trying to screw you over and so you treat them accordingly. The fact is, there are MANY more disreputable sellers than there are buyers.

It's cool, Dfitz, I can see why sellers do this, I just think it diminishes the power of the consumer ultimately. If I pay right away and someone takes a long time to send me something, I want to be able to note that without fear of reprisal.

On a related note, I also think it sucks that you can't click on the summary box and go right to read someone's negative feedbacks. You're forced to hunt and peck through reams and reams of pages in the hopes of finding the individual comment.

E-bay has really become glutted with coomonplace crap nowadays too. It used to be full of obscure and out of print collectibles. Now it looks more like Wal-Mart.

I have started patronizing GEMM for the really hard to find stuff.

...I re-listed the pair of 10lbs bells and today...Despite the fact the I went back and put LOCAL PICKUP ONLY in capital letters in the description...
put local pick up in the title
Yeah, because expecting someone to actually read is asking too much. :laugh:

Oh, boy...

i sell tons of stuff on ebay and thats the only way to ensure people read the description.

The ignorance is killing me inside:doh:

I still love ya skinfan2k (or is it your sig???).

lol... i hadn't checked my ebay he left me a negative comment saying watch out for young ebayer -- that douche he took two ****ing weeks to ship my crap with no communication!!!

moreover, i've had my ebay account for 8 years... calling me young cuz i only have 15 feedbacks.

or because your only 26..............

I don't leave feedback until I get the item I paid for and it's in the condition specified in the auction. I've never sold anything on Ebay but I've bought quite a few things and have been lucky for the most part. Only been ripped once and I waited too long to file the complaint(didn't know there was a time constraint on those things). In fact I'm "watching" a digital camera as I type this.

People are stupid. End of story..no explanation needed. I don't know how they function on a daily basis.

It's cool, Dfitz, I can see why sellers do this, I just think it diminishes the power of the consumer ultimately. If I pay right away and someone takes a long time to send me something, I want to be able to note that without fear of reprisal.

That's a fair point, and I completely understand it. The problem is that it works both ways. If I were a seller, I'd want to be able to give accurate feedback to an obnoxious or swindling buyer without fear of retaliation. Both people want to have the final say, and of course only one can.

Isn't there some feature where you can add a comment to negative feedbacks? In the instances I've seen it in people's profiles it seems like it alleviated the problem a little bit.

For example, if you're looking at CoolGuy123's feedback page and you see this:

"COOLGUY NEVER SHIPPED MY ITEM DON'T USE THIS SELLER OMGWTF!"

sometimes there will be a note below it from CoolGuy like this:

"I emailed and ebay messaged this buyer several times, and he never provided a U.S. shipping address. The item description clearly stated I don't ship internationally. I refunded his money fully."

I suppose it's one of the drawbacks inherent in doing business completely anonymously.

There's nothing you can do about stupidity, ignorance, or *******s on eBay. Once I sold a lawn mower, local pickup only. I clearly stated that the item had to be paid for within one week, which I thought was generous. Some guy about an hour away won the item in auction. So he told me he'd come pick it up in person and pay me in cash instead of paypal. Fine.

A week later he email's me and says he won't make it, but he'll come next week on such and such a day. What can I do? He's now in control because my potential bad feedback has been taken hostage by him. I have no choice but to sit and wait for him to do what he promises, even though it's in violation of the listing and his payment is past due.

So I wait. The following week - sure enough, he emails me again. Can't make it. Next week though, he'll be there for sure.

So what do I do? Tell him **** off? He has my feedback as hostage.

So then I don't hear from him for two more weeks and a full month has gone by. Then he ****ing calls me on the phone and says "Hey man, I'm coming out tomorrow to pick up the mower and pay you." Cool. We set up a time.

Next day, email. "Sorry dude. I have an appointment, can't make it."

Another month goes by. Now its been two months. No communication from him at all. Finally I give up and leave him neg feedback.

Next day he leaves me neg feedback. Hahha. I did absolutely nothing wrong, and exercised extreme patience for two months, and I end up with neg feedback.

So his good feedback percentage drops down to like 94%. He simply closes his account and presumably starts a new one. Meanwhile, I'm stuck with his negative feedback forever.

Another time I bought an FM Transmitter from this guy, but the thing was broken. It didn't break in shipping, it was ****ed up before he shipped it. I complained and I got neg feedback the next day. Hahhaa. This guy ended up with like 12 neg feedbacks in the next 16 listings and ended up getting canned by eBay, but I am stuck with his neg feedback forever.

Archived