Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential poll

USS Redskins

RASMUSSEN POLL: McCain Now Leads By Double Digits:

McCain 51% Clinton 41%

McCain 49% Obama 42%

I know, right now this means nothing. There is a full 7 months until the election and anything can happen.

But look at McCain a year ago - his camapaign was in shambles and people were writing him off even getting the Republican nom and now he is leading both Dems and he hasnt even had any coverage in the last few weeks.

This is a great position for him - saving his funds for the general election run, letting the dems beat the heck out of each other and then there is still the Dem convention to come, which should be REAL intersting

It means nothing.

A- it's too early.

B- it's a general poll.

Look at state polls for better analysis.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/pennsylvania.html

McCain beats both in PA

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/ohio.html

McCain beats Obama in OH and barely behind Clinton.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/florida.html

McCain beats both in FL.

Add to that pollsin NJ of all place with McCain competetive and leading some polls, and it looks bad for Dems RIGHT NOW>

Much can change.

It means nothing.

A- it's too early.

B- it's a general poll.

Look at state polls for better analysis.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/pennsylvania.html

McCain beats both in PA

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/ohio.html

McCain beats Obama in OH and barely behind Clinton.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/florida.html

McCain beats both in FL.

Add to that pollsin NJ of all place with McCain competetive and leading some polls, and it looks bad for Dems RIGHT NOW>

Much can change.

I'd say look at polls in iowa (where mccain didnt even campaign), virginia, georgia, mississippi, missouri in conjunction with those ones you cite.

also, obama is at his lowes point right now, but he will bounce back quickly and mccain will hit some stumbles... cycle of politics.

Yeah, Obama has had a bad two or three weeks. He's really dipped. He was soundly trouncing McCain before. The question is how well does he recover?

I dont recall seeing any poll with him soundly trouncing him. But the point is valid. Ebb and flow like every other campaign. Dukakis was up 19 in August and damn near got swept.

I dont recall seeing any poll with him soundly trouncing him. But the point is valid. Ebb and flow like every other campaign. Dukakis was up 19 in August and damn near got swept.

Yep. For better or worse, the American people are fickle and have a very short memory. This Wright thing will blow over in a few weeks as new controversies take its place (Hillary's taxes?).

McCain would do well to stay out of the public eye til August.

I think if any two candidates in the history of modern politics now that polls this year mean nothing - its Obama and McCain.

Lets review shall we:

7 months ago McCain was considered to be done. His campaign over. All his hopes of every being President crushed. Media poked fun at him all the time and his poor campaign. Now he is the leading candidate to be the President according to polls.

7 months ago everyone thought Obama was this great little guy who might be able to get himself some publicity for a future VP pick or maybe even a run in 8 years. No one thought it was serious. The polls had HRC ahead in every state in the country practically. Now he is in the lead for the Democrats.

These two candidates understand that this poll means absolutely nothing. If it did - these two would not have gotten this far.

I think the only thing for sure is that it is going to be a close close close race no matter what.

All 3 candidates STINK You want change VOTE NADER

I acutally think the three candidates are the finest we've had in over a decade. Even though I despise Hillary with all my soul, she is a good and capable candidate. McCain and Obama both have their weaknesses, but they are both great men and principled leaders. I think if they are the two chosen candidates, the election discourse will be on a higher level than we've seen since Clinton vs. Dole.

I acutally think the three candidates are the finest we've had in over a decade. Even though I despise Hillary with all my soul, she is a good and capable candidate. McCain and Obama both have their weaknesses, but they are both great men and principled leaders. I think if they are the two chosen candidates, the election discourse will be on a higher level than we've seen since Clinton vs. Dole.

I completely agree with you. No matter who wins... well, at least we won't have to be embarrassed by Mr. Incompetence anymore.

Guest sith lord
I think:

There is a percentage of Americans who will not vote for an african american, period

There is a percentage of Americans who will not vote for a woman, period.

McCain is our next president.

Yep, four more years of Bush.

There was no chance I would have voted for Romney or Huckaboom. But, I am leaning towards McCain. I think a lot of people are like that.

I'm holding out hope that if elected. He turns back into the Maverick and tells the folks who are hoping this will be a Bush 3rd team, to shove it.

Who knows? The commanders on the ground probably would tell him a story that's very different that what Bush is telling us about Iraq. Maybe he'll see that and make some changes.

Either way, McCain has all the tools for the job.

I'd like him. Probably would end up liking Obama also. Hillary has no chance to win me over. Never did.

I would take Obama over Hillary, no question. I am not crazy about McCain but he is as close to a centrist and the Republicans could get.

I really hope that the worst of Iraq is over and if McCain gets in there, I hope he will get the thing finished in a timely manner.

I get the feeling that McCain is going to be a one termer, if he wins and of his own choice and his VP choice will be a big deal......

I would take Obama over Hillary, no question. I am not crazy about McCain but he is as close to a centrist and the Republicans could get.

I really hope that the worst of Iraq is over and if McCain gets in there, I hope he will get the thing finished in a timely manner.

I get the feeling that McCain is going to be a one termer, if he wins and of his own choice and his VP choice will be a big deal......

Whoever gets elected will be a one term. The coming economic collasp of the U.S. will make sure to that.

I agree with you.

McCain is a very good candidate and honestly right now should be the favorite. Even though I personally do not like Hill both herself or Obama also would make a good president. What I love about Obama is how intelligent and when he speaks you stop everything and listen. I think we need that again, it would be a nice change when we all listen to our president and not think of someone scratching a blackboard.

That is why you are wrong :)

If you think McCain is anything like bush then you have no clue who the guy is. You might want to learn about him first before making an asinine statement like that.

I agree with you, and this is from a Bush supporter that doesn't care for McCain.

I don't think he will be as effective....which is a scary thought. ;)

Dukakis was up 19 in August and damn near got swept.

Great point.

My feelings.

Beware of a third party candidate for either side. A strong conservative candidate or the loser from the Democratic side. A third party candidate can make the difference very easily in this race.

Great point.

My feelings.

Beware of a third party candidate for either side. A strong conservative candidate or the loser from the Democratic side. A third party candidate can make the difference very easily in this race.

I don't think the loser would be allowed to run as an independent due to their senate seat, can someone confirm or deny this.

I don't think the loser would be allowed to run as an independent due to their senate seat, can someone confirm or deny this.

There is no rule against them doing it,but it is generally frowned on by the party.

There is also the matter of getting on the ballots themselves,to do so in most states you would need the support/endorsement of a qualifying third party.

I think :(

Added

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18701434/

Q. Why does an independent need a bevy of ballot access experts, signature gatherers, and lawyers?

A. Each state has different requirements for a contender to get his name on the ballot. In California, for example an independent would need nearly 160,000 signatures, while in Minnesota he’d need only 2,000.

“You are not a candidate until you are on the ballot,” said ballot access expert Laureen Oliver, an advisor to Texas independent gubernatorial candidate Kinky Friedman last year and New York Independence Party gubernatorial candidate Tom Golisano in 2002.

“An independent candidate can’t get on the ballot until he has organizational structure. That’s the number one reason that candidates who run as independents lose,” said Oliver. “It’s not money; it’s structure…. You need to do 50 races simultaneously.”

And if that organizational hurdle is not enough, keep in mind if an independent appears to be a threat to either of the major-party candidates, they might file lawsuits to try to keep him or her off state ballots.

Archived