Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it a swimsuit thing? Fan Psychology

Burgold

Pretty much every fall you hear about the lines. How you win in the trenches. Stop the run. Pressure the quarterback. Protect your quarterback. Move the piles. Every Winter we hear how our lines are really thin. We only have one rusher. We're one injury away from utter disaster. Our lines are ancient. etc.

Then, March comes and with it Spring. Now, I don't know if there is a 1:1 correlation, but about the same time every year that the SI swimsuit edition comes out, fan attention starts drifting away from the lines and all people want to talk about or wide receivers, safeties and corners.

Maybe it's thinking about Summer vacation and burning off this Chrismas Cookie calories or maybe it's just that Dave Butz in a thong is too sexy for anyone to handle, but why do we turn away every offseason from the lines?

So, what I'm wondering... is it a swimsuit thing? How come every Spring we become inebriated with these swift skinny guys? What happened to lusting after the heavy carb dudes. Four hundred pounders need love too. Why do so many ESers forget about the lines the closer we get to draft?

about the same time every year that the SI swimsuit edition comes out,

Let me be the first to say that this thread is useless without pics...

BTW, I've seen the SI swimsuit issue, yet I am still lusting after a big young guard and a pass rushing defensive lineman.

Is this really what's in the fans' minds when as the weather turns warmer so many deviate from the line. Is this really what you want?

T-Lingerie-Bowl.jpg

Well, WR are the "sexy" pick.

I propose a thread rule. Anyone responding to this thread must quote the above pic.

Is this really what's in the fans' minds when as the weather turns warmer so many deviate from the line. Is this really what you want?

T-Lingerie-Bowl.jpg

Sign me up for season tickets.

Still looking for the Dave Butz thong picture for ya, Dan.

I'm sure it would be a camoflauge thong. But really, don't search too long. :laugh:

Well in the winter when the lineman are all covered in big heavy sweaters and gear you don't notice their true...image...

So as spring comes and clothes get shed...we see the truth...

It's no wonder our minds wander and wonder what it'd be like to have a tall sexy WR.

I think it's pretty much unanimous on this board that we need O-line depth and a D-lineman. The problem is, there aren't any options in free agency, only the draft. People have been pretty high on Brandon Albert, and various DEs like Campbell and Harvey. The other problem is that the media stirs up the rumor pot during free agency to get ratings, examples: Jay Glazer and JLC, so the fans start talking about things that could happen now, rather than what could happen in a month and a half.

As far as the draft itself, again, most have recognized our need for O-line depth, and for a D-lineman. However, most also recognize big physical WR as a need in the WCO. I don't understand the love Kenny Phillips is getting though, cuz Doughty stepped up when it counted, and looked good playing alongside Landry. There are plenty of good DEs and DTs that are taken after the first, good and great O-linemen can be found in later rounds and molded, WRs can be found in later rounds too. At 21 the draft is a crap shoot, because none of us knows who will fall to us.

I think it's pretty much unanimous on this board that we need O-line depth and a D-lineman. The problem is, there aren't any options in free agency, only the draft.

I think what you're saying is fair, but I still see so much energy into Hall, Bolden, Williams, Hackett, etc. And so many who want to trade our enitre draft for another sexy receiver... another Lavernious Coles, Santana Moss, Brandon Lloyd, Calvin Mouhamad. And if we acquire these guys via trade, our choice of linemen gets smaller, fewer, and worse.

I really it must have something to do with the warm weather. Bolden would be a bold move. Hall may even be Hall worthy one day, but I suspect when most people are thinking about them all they see is

xin_480203081119986145327.jpg

hahaha funny idea, and i love the pics.

Its all about that instant gratification - people don't remember how crucial the OL is until we're in a situation where its painfully obvious. Those guys are just 'expected' to do their job every play, and when the offseason rolls around, its about skill positions and thinking about how we can MEASURABLY improve our team.

"WR #1 had 10 TDs and 1400 yards! Imagine what we could do with 10 more TDs per year!"

Its harder to argue the measurable impact of linemen, except DLs with their sacks, but there's always external benefits as well that never get included in calculations, like pancake blocks, double teams, sacks averted.

I think what you're saying is fair, but I still see so much energy into Hall, Bolden, Williams, Hackett, etc. And so many who want to trade our enitre draft for another sexy receiver... another Lavernious Coles, Santana Moss, Brandon Lloyd, Calvin Mouhamad. And if we acquire these guys via trade, our choice of linemen gets smaller, fewer, and worse.

I really it must have something to do with the warm weather. Bolden would be a bold move. Hall may even be Hall worthy one day, but I suspect when most people are thinking about them all they see is

xin_480203081119986145327.jpg

Love the pic.

I agree though with the trade stuff getting lots of attention, but it is also the offseason and there isn't much to talk about. Skins fans have been addicted to the free agent signings for years, and now we can't get our fix.:laugh:

I'm not going to lie, I have been in favor of a couple of the trades, Hall and now Boldin, to be specific. However, I know the Boldin trade isn't going to happen, and have mostly defended Hall's abilities. I have been in favor of trading our 1st rounder for either of these guys, but that is because I believe the chances of a low first rounder being of value as good as either of those guys is slim at best. However, I don't want to give up the whole draft for either guy, and if we didn't have, probably, the extra 3rd rounder coming our way I'd be less in favor of trading our first for studs like Boldin and Hall.

I said in the JLC thread that since we made an offer to Caldwell, drafting a WR would be the best way to go, barring any trades, as those 2 could play the WR1 role in the WCO. We will draft the best player available in the first, but right now none of us knows what position that is going to be. So long as we draft a D-lineman before the 3rd round is over I'll be happy.

Maybe the OL should immitate WR'S....start to over celebrate every block, cry on camera, and whine about their insecurities. Throw in a drug overdose and the odd fight with the coach and they may get more attention. WR's are the closest thing to cheerleaders. I'm sure TO and Chad have had creepy desires to strap on the sports bra and banana hammock and work those Pom poms. Selling the drama is what its all about. This thread hits it right on the head and its funny because its true.

I'm sure TO and Chad have had creepy desires to strap on the sports bra and banana hammock and work those Pom poms. Selling the drama is what its all about. This thread hits it right on the head and its funny because its true.

Mama don't let chure babies grow up to be cowboys..

s_owens_i.jpg

I think that was the moment we all knew one day he'd be one of Jerry's boys.

I know we need help on both lines, but I dont see an impact player falling to #21. For DE's, I think the drop off is huge after Merling, and since we technically dont need a starter for the o-line, I think we would be better served picking one up in a later round. The only O line stud in this draft is Long, and the drop off after that is more sever than the DE drop off.

I just hope that the top 5 WR's are gone by #21 so we dont end up taking one of them and get some line help. The only DE's I would like to have from this draft are Long (not going to get him) Merling and Harvey and if we cant get Merling or harvey at #21 I think the best thing to do is get some secondary help, and then be very careful about picking O-lineman in the later rounds. I would prefer a tackle over a guard as I think Jansen's career might slowly be coming to an end.

Personally, I'm just as worried about Thomas and Kendall. Thomas hasn't made it through a season the last two out of three years and he's getting older. Kendall also is very gray haired. I think we're incredibly fragile on the o-line with three guys who seem more than likely to falter and need to be spelled for large chunks of next season. The pups on our O-line... Samuels and Rabach are also in their thirties and have had many surgeries. Basically, we have an ancient line with one reserve. I don't like the idea of really just hoping that no injuries happen.

Personally, I'm in the Brandon Albert camp a I think he is likely to be the highest value player that will likely drop to us. That being said, WR is still a need. I would love a great passrushing DE opposite Carter, but we did get good production out of the LE spot. It came from different players but MW and CW combined for about 10 sacks, that isn't horrible.

Our defense was rarely the problem last season. NE is the only game I can think of when we were really just giving up points. For years now our defense has carried our offense, and anytime you have a young QB you not only want to protect him (as in OL pick) but you want to give him as many weapons as possible.

I can see some using the injuries to Thomas/Jansen as reasons not to draft OL #1. Getting Thomas back is already an improvement to the Fabiniator we had at RG last season, and Jansen should be a slight upgrade to Heyer while giving us an excellent backup regardless of who starts.

Regardless of how you spin it, DL, OL, and WR are all equally needs for this football team. DL and WR will probably be rated highest because there are starting positions up for grabs.

A lot of it is also draft value. We can hope and pray for a great DE at #21 but fact is if a top 10 prospect at WR falls and we're looking at d-lineman with high second round grades, I'd rather take the WR. Same goes for OL/DL/CB/S/LB/whatever. No need to reach just because we want a certain position, that is how teams waste draft picks.

Archived