Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

where Does Clinton Portis Rank as a Redskin Running Back

moss1981

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

When I first heard they were trading Champ for Portis, I thought they were out of their collective "i.e hide the blame, take the credit" minds. Then I heard that Champ was outta here anyway because of personal issues and it bothered me less. I still thought they could have done better in the the draft, and if they were gifted with the hindsight I and all other ES'ers possess, we could have picked up an LT in the draft.

But that's all water under the bridge, so to speak. CP is here and is our franchise back. I have to rate him number two behind Riggo, because of Rggo's HOF credentials, "Riggo's Run", and the SB trophy Riggo helped bring home. Having said that, however, Riggo also had the advantage of "the Hogs", one of the most dominant offensive lines ever AND a tall, posession type WR in Art Monk which kept the team from being one dimensional and kept the defense guessing if it was a run or pass play. Portis, unfortunately, has an offensive line, (to quote a dwarf) "that has seen too many summers or too few".

I would love to have the Hogs back, but youth waits on no one. I would love to see Portis with the opportunity of playing behind a truly great OLine. But that requires the team to draft an OLine, and that doesn't look like it's happening again in my lifetime or Portis' career.

I would love to have the Hogs back, but youth waits on no one. I would love to see Portis with the opportunity of playing behind a truly great OLine. But that requires the team to draft an OLine, and that doesn't look like it's happening again in my lifetime or Portis' career.

Besides the Oline, he has played most games here when the defense has had zero respect for our QB and have stacked the box on him and he has still produced.

I'd put Terry Allen and Earnest Byner ahead of him and maybe Stephen Davis[/quote

Terry Allen are you kidding me. I would put Rigo #1 winning a super bowl and what he has done for the franchise but if CP wins a Super Bowl he would be #1. I would not trade CP for anyone with the heart he plays with and he plays all out each play he is the best player on the team!!!!!!!!!

I think everyone is forgetting one player.......Ricky Ervins! The man had 72 yards on 13 carries in the Super Bowl. Thats what i'm talking about.

:silly:

:logo:

No one.......dang, tough crowd.

Portis will become the Redskins best back if he stays healthy. If he doesn't to play pre-season, i'm down with that. Why add any extra carries with such a long, hard hitting regular season. And who can question Portis's heart? He ran alot last year, a big reason we made the playoffs. Riggins was a beast, the man would run over anything. In todays game the athletes are quicker, stronger, jump higher, etc..... Portis is great.

:logo:

I love Riggins as much as any Skins fan, but Portis is the best back the Skins have ever had. In 9 seasons as a Skin, Riggins had four 1,000 yd seasons. In 4 seasons as a Skin, Portis has three 1,000 yd seasons. For Riggins, 1,000 yards was the exception. For Portis, it's the norm. Riggins ran behind the Hogs and had Joe Theismann throwing to Art Monk and Charlie Brown. He averaged 3.6yds/carry as a Skin. Portis is running behind a line that has been patchwork at best. The Dirtbags couldn't carry the Hogs' jockstraps. He's had Mark Brunell and a rookie throwing to Santana Moss, Brandon Lloyd, and James Thrash. He's averaged 4.0 yds/carry as a Skin. If he keeps on his current pace (which includes last year when he was hurt most of the year), he'll pass Riggins rushing totals in a little over 2 more seasons.

Riggins had his signature moments, and is a fan favorite to be sure, but Portis is the best RB we've ever had. Just my opinion of course.

Over the last three seasons Portis has been every bit as consistent as Riggins was during his Redskins years. I'm looking forward to seeing Portis have a full season behind a healthy O-line, with a QB who demands respect, and with a game plan that isn't quite so predictable.

Riggins is still #1, though, by a sizable margin. But Portis is gaining...

This is the worst argument I think I have ever heard. Everyone is quoting stats and rings. What is the question who will be the leading rusher in the history of the Redskins? Then that question is easy, Riggins until someone gets more yards. If you are asking who is the greatest back in the history of the Redskins, then that question is a no brainer. Riggins is the greatest back history, hands down. Portis has the potential to be the greatest back but he is far from it. You can quote stats and yards per carry and all that stuff. Anyone who said he was average is a moron and should not be allowed near a computer. The man carried the team. It isn't what you do, it is who you do it against. Super Bowl run is great, but more than that. Riggins was money when the game was on the line. 4th and 1. Goal line. Riggins couldn't be stopped. Riggins got hit at the line or behind just like every other running back in the league. The difference is his will was greater than his tackler. It took 2-3-4 guys to bring him down most of the time. Against the Cowboys in the NFC championship game in the 1983 they called the same play 7 consecutive times. The same running play in the NFC championship game 7 consecutive times. Should I say it a third time. When Riggins retired he was like 4th on the all time rushing list for the history of the NFL. Just because he is barely 14th now doesn't dimish that feat. The same argument we all used for Art Monk in the HOF is why Riggins is in, and why he is the greatest back in Redskins history. He wasn't flashy or broke 80 yard runs. But he did set the NFL record with 24 rushing TD's in one season that was broken for 10 more years. He spent several stuck in George Allen's teams as a blocking fullback. He was Mike Sellers in the mid 70's. Wasn't till Allen left and Pardee got to coach that Riggins got to run again. He had the greatest post season stretch of any running back ever. He ran 25, 37, 36, 38 times in consecutive games in the playoffs. Clinton Portis whines that he gets to many carries and takes himself out of games in the 4th quarter when the game is on the line. IN 9 playoff games Riggins average 28 carries per game. He had nearly 1000 yards just in playoff yardage and that was only in 9 games. If you take out his 7 carry game in the playoffs in 1976 then his numbers are 30.5 carries per playoff game for a 120.7 yard average. He never had a gaudy yards per carry average because he was a banger. He wasn't ripping a 70 yard run, he was cracking heads for 4 yards. Riggins came out of a hospital room in traction to run for over a hundred yards in the NFC championship game in 1984. Portis gets hurt in a preseason game and everyone blames the quarterback, coach, god, president, and whomever else. It's football. Get over it. Everyone blames the line when he can't get a fourth in one. The great ones get the fourth and one no matter what. The how many times did we as Skins fans curse and scream when emmitt smith juked someone out of their socks and got a first down. Or did a spin move and made a big play when it looked like we had him dead to rights. The great ones do something extra. Portis has not consistently done something special. That something extra that makes him GREAT. He is good, very good, bodering on great. But until he does something special he will always be 2nd tier no matter how many yards he gets. The Redskins defined ball control in the early to mid 80's because Riggins controled it. How many times have the Redskins got stuff on 4th down. Riggins got the ball always when everyone in the stadium, the state and the country knew he was going to get it, he got it, and he still made the play. He didn't do it untouched, he did by running over someone to get there. Same thing with Walter Payton, Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith. All the great ones have that little extra when it means something. Portis hasn't reached that level yet. He may one day, but he hasn't yet.

This is the worst argument I think I have ever heard. Everyone is quoting stats and rings. What is the question who will be the leading rusher in the history of the Redskins? Then that question is easy, Riggins until someone gets more yards. If you are asking who is the greatest back in the history of the Redskins, then that question is a no brainer. Riggins is the greatest back history, hands down. Portis has the potential to be the greatest back but he is far from it. You can quote stats and yards per carry and all that stuff. Anyone who said he was average is a moron and should not be allowed near a computer. The man carried the team. It isn't what you do, it is who you do it against. Super Bowl run is great, but more than that. Riggins was money when the game was on the line. 4th and 1. Goal line. Riggins couldn't be stopped. Riggins got hit at the line or behind just like every other running back in the league. The difference is his will was greater than his tackler. It took 2-3-4 guys to bring him down most of the time. Against the Cowboys in the NFC championship game in the 1983 they called the same play 7 consecutive times. The same running play in the NFC championship game 7 consecutive times. Should I say it a third time. When Riggins retired he was like 4th on the all time rushing list for the history of the NFL. Just because he is barely 14th now doesn't dimish that feat. The same argument we all used for Art Monk in the HOF is why Riggins is in, and why he is the greatest back in Redskins history. He wasn't flashy or broke 80 yard runs. But he did set the NFL record with 24 rushing TD's in one season that was broken for 10 more years. He spent several stuck in George Allen's teams as a blocking fullback. He was Mike Sellers in the mid 70's. Wasn't till Allen left and Pardee got to coach that Riggins got to run again. He had the greatest post season stretch of any running back ever. He ran 25, 37, 36, 38 times in consecutive games in the playoffs. Clinton Portis whines that he gets to many carries and takes himself out of games in the 4th quarter when the game is on the line. IN 9 playoff games Riggins average 28 carries per game. He had nearly 1000 yards just in playoff yardage and that was only in 9 games. If you take out his 7 carry game in the playoffs in 1976 then his numbers are 30.5 carries per playoff game for a 120.7 yard average. He never had a gaudy yards per carry average because he was a banger. He wasn't ripping a 70 yard run, he was cracking heads for 4 yards. Riggins came out of a hospital room in traction to run for over a hundred yards in the NFC championship game in 1984. Portis gets hurt in a preseason game and everyone blames the quarterback, coach, god, president, and whomever else. It's football. Get over it. Everyone blames the line when he can't get a fourth in one. The great ones get the fourth and one no matter what. The how many times did we as Skins fans curse and scream when emmitt smith juked someone out of their socks and got a first down. Or did a spin move and made a big play when it looked like we had him dead to rights. The great ones do something extra. Portis has not consistently done something special. That something extra that makes him GREAT. He is good, very good, bodering on great. But until he does something special he will always be 2nd tier no matter how many yards he gets. The Redskins defined ball control in the early to mid 80's because Riggins controled it. How many times have the Redskins got stuff on 4th down. Riggins got the ball always when everyone in the stadium, the state and the country knew he was going to get it, he got it, and he still made the play. He didn't do it untouched, he did by running over someone to get there. Same thing with Walter Payton, Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith. All the great ones have that little extra when it means something. Portis hasn't reached that level yet. He may one day, but he hasn't yet.

Holy...break that up into 2 or 3 paragraphs lol :laugh:...that's hard to read.

Yeah, there is a reason why Gibbs didn't play Betts. It is the same reason that Brunell played way too long....and the same reason why TC wasn't given the nod over Brunell--it's called Man Love.

And man love, especially when instilled in a person calling double timeouts, can supercede rational thinking.

Once given the chance, we saw that yes, TC was better in the offense than Brunell.

And the same with Betts--and at only 1/5th the cost of Portis.

The other 4/5ths of the enormous, prohibitive Portis salary? Imagine if that had been used instead to get a WR, DE or offensive lineman. How much better off would we be today? Think JC would have been in the hospital?

Everyone has their own opinion, but mine is that we would be much better off.

We wouldn't be drafting a DE or WR this season. Instead, we would have players now starting their second season on the team--and ready to produce.

And with this season's draft picks? We could be building a powerhouse.

:cheers:

I seem to recall that Betts was here prior to Gibbs and When Gibbs watched footage of Betts he said.. DAMN. WE NEED A RUNNING BACK. Hence Portis. YOu cannot EVER, EVER rate a player in a CONTRACT year.. Its all about money and consistancy.. Betts has half that now.. to bad its the wrong one...:redpunch:

Riggins was that final element to complete a team that was constantly in the playoffs and got to and won super bowls. He made the Gibbs offense work by making people respect the running game especially in short yardage situations, opening up the passing game for respectable quarterbacks and very good receivers, not to mention on the best offensive lines ever.

Clinton Portis plays on a redskins team that has been nagged with inconsistent quarterbacks and an offensive line that played it's best stretch of games when he was out. They've been to the playoffs only twice, and one of those you can place solely on the fact he was given the ball over and over and got them there because the passing game was a mess.

I'm 31, I grew up idolizing Riggo as a kid. But I have to go with Portis being the best back that's ever worn the burgundy and gold.

Over the last three seasons Portis has been every bit as consistent as Riggins was during his Redskins years. I'm looking forward to seeing Portis have a full season behind a healthy O-line, with a QB who demands respect, and with a game plan that isn't quite so predictable.

I have been waiting for Portis to have those opportunties in Washington for the past few years, I hope it happens this year.

Archived