Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

where Does Clinton Portis Rank as a Redskin Running Back

moss1981

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Funny you should mention that because I just watched the NFL Network show "Who Is...." featurning CP and in the interview he talked about how there was a game in Denver when he played drunk and ran for over 200 yards.

:D

Thats good, but he never got that SB ring did he ;)

Thats crazy talk. Riggins was day in day out, every play. He is our #1 all time running back.

I love Riggo but he didn't catch the ball out of the backfield, he could not pass block to save his life, I don't ever remember seeing Riggo knocking people on their tails while blocking downfield for a receiver. Riggo had TWO really good years for the Skins and a he carried the 82-83 team on his back to the Super Bowl. Other than that he was average. Clinton Portis plays harder than any player on the team, he throws his body around with reckless abandon and needless to say ran for over 1500 yards on a team with little or no passing threat. He is by far the best back the Redskins have ever had.

Our problem as fans is that we live with a drive through mentality, we want it and we want it NOW! If Clinton doesn’t run for 150 yards a game and two touchdowns he sucks. Grow up people!!!!!!!

RYPIEN OR MARINO? COREY DILLIN or BARRY SANDERS... SBs mean nothing when it comes to POSITIONAL GREATNESS WITH A TEAM... CP is the BEST all around RB this team has ever had and eventually will have the STATS to back that up. Dont get me wrong, Riggo was a Bruiser for a few years in there... I love him and all but when it comes to talent and skill. CP by far...

RYPIEN OR MARINO? COREY DILLIN or BARRY SANDERS... SBs mean nothing when it comes to POSITIONAL GREATNESS WITH A TEAM... CP is the BEST all around RB this team has ever had and eventually will have the STATS to back that up. Dont get me wrong, Riggo was a Bruiser for a few years in there... I love him and all but when it comes to talent and skill. CP by far...

I gotta go with Rob in this one.

Plus my opinion is biased, cause I never saw Riggo play.

:)

Portis shouldn't be in Riggo's breath. But I like Portis but I still think he's too inconsistent and seems scared at times. Never doubted that with Riggo. Same with Larry and Earnest Byner. Byner would be better if he wasn't part of a split backfield but I'd go to war with Byner anyday. He played hurt too which always won points in my book.

Riggins by a landslide......not even close.

I do agree with the earlier two posters about Portis not being the right back for Gibbs 2.

We wasted years by playing him......had to listen to him whine....and tolerate the destruction he caused our team, and the bad examples he set for our team--especially the new guys--with his "I don't play in preseason" attitude.

When players see other players like Portis slack off, it becomes a team cancer. And it pisses off the real core Skins, like veterans such as Samuels, who actually play the entire preseason because they know it is their job.

Betts should have been running for Gibbs......but, after seeing a double timeout--it really isn't surprising that he didn't realize that.

Our team would be leaps and bounds ahead had we traded Portis before the beginning of last season for a WR and a DE..........but now we have to deal with him and his absurd contract.

I am optimistic that he will do better with Zorn--as long as he learns not to fumble, stops crying like a little baby, and can stay healthy.

Here's to hoping that he is a better running back and team player under Zorn, than he was under Gibbs.

:cheers:

Riggins by a landslide......not even close.

I do agree with the earlier two posters about Portis not being the right back for Gibbs 2.

We wasted years by playing him......had to listen to him whine....and tolerate the destruction he caused our team, and the bad examples he set for our team--especially the new guys--with his "I don't play in preseason" attitude.

When players see other players like Portis slack off, it becomes a team cancer. And it pisses off the real core Skins, like veterans such as Samuels, who actually play the entire preseason because they know it is their job.

Betts should have been running for Gibbs......but, after seeing a double timeout--it really isn't surprising that he didn't realize that.

Our team would be leaps and bounds ahead had we traded Portis before the beginning of last season for a WR and a DE..........but now we have to deal with him and his absurd contract.

I am optimistic that he will do better with Zorn--as long as he learns not to fumble, stops crying like a little baby, and can stay healthy.

Here's to hoping that he is a better running back and team player under Zorn, than he was under Gibbs.

I mean if somone could please exlpain to me how a guy put up 1500 yards which happens to be our franchise record and 11tds under coach Gibbs is not a Gibbs type running back, I mean that just makes absolutely no sense to me. Yes Portis is such a cancer that he put this team on his back 2 out of the last 3 years and led us into the playoffs while destroying our team in the process... riiight. Destruction of this team?. When the hell did this team ever turn its back on Gibbs?

At the end of the last 2 out of 3 seasons this team played the best football every year and Portis was a huge part of this. Sometimes your hatred for Portis is just to much for me man. Have you thrown away his 3 jerseys you own yet? As of right now I would put Riggins as the number 1 back and I think Portis is close behind.

But for the love of god I dont understand how CP holds the franchise record of 1500 yards under the one and only Joe Gibbs but yet he does not fit his system. All those other running backs that fit Gibbs system much better than Portis never rushed for over 1500 yards. So according to McD5 it goes 1. Betts 2. Riggins... 11.Portis.. and so forth.

I mean if somone could please exlpain to me how a guy put up 1500 yards which happens to be our franchise record and 11tds under coach Gibbs is not a Gibbs type running back, I mean that just makes absolutely no sense to me. Yes Portis is such a cancer that he put this team on his back 2 out of the last 3 years and led us into the playoffs while destroying our team in the process... riiight.

The only reason he didn't put the team on his back in 06 was because he put his body on the line in preseason for our pathetic excuse of a QB whose poor decision in throwing a pick caused Portis to get hurt. He is absolutely right that he has no reason to play in preseason with the clowns we put behind center putting him at risk.

Portis shouldn't be in Riggo's breath. But I like Portis but I still think he's too inconsistent and seems scared at times. Never doubted that with Riggo. Same with Larry and Earnest Byner. Byner would be better if he wasn't part of a split backfield but I'd go to war with Byner anyday. He played hurt too which always won points in my book.

To inconsistant..!! I guess 5 out of 6 years in the league over 1000 yards with 3 of those more than 1500 is inconsistant nowadays. Sucks to BE CP..GEESH.. I mean, I am not taking anything away from Riggo, but he was a Straight at ya and through ya guy. DONE. When it came to blocking down field or at the line of scrimmage umm. CP by a landslide, When it came to catching the ball out of the backfield, umm, CP by a landslide and even when it came down to tossing the ball for a HB pass, CP by a landslide. Personally, I think that you guys just cannot move forward with the present and are still living in the GLORY days of OLD.. Since there havent been many glory days of new.... By the way.. CP is getting it done with a CRAPPY O LINE...... No HOGS anywhere....

I mean if somone could please exlpain to me how a guy put up 1500 yards which happens to be our franchise record and 11tds under coach Gibbs is not a Gibbs type running back, I mean that just makes absolutely no sense to me. Yes Portis is such a cancer that he put this team on his back 2 out of the last 3 years and led us into the playoffs while destroying our team in the process... riiight. Destruction of this team?. When the hell did this team ever turn its back on Gibbs?

At the end of the last 2 out of 3 seasons this team played the best football every year and Portis was a huge part of this. Sometimes your hatred for Portis is just to much for me man. Have you thrown away his 3 jerseys you own yet? As of right now I would put Riggins as the number 1 back and I think Portis is close behind.

But for the love of god I dont understand how CP holds the franchise record of 1500 yards under the one and only Joe Gibbs but yet he does not fit his system. All those other running backs that fit Gibbs system much better than Portis never rushed for over 1500 yards. So according to McD5 it goes 1. Betts 2. Riggins... 11.Portis.. and so forth.

You have to keep an open mind and be realistic. Seriously. Otherwise it isn't even worth the effort.

Portis carried us to two playoffs? Really? What about Todd Collins? What about our defense last season? TC had nothing to do with that?

And years ago.....Portis was great in his best season here...but you really believe he alone carried us to the playoffs before vanishing once they began?

So no one else did anything? How did Portis carry us against the Bears this year? How about the Tampa game? How about all the times he couldn't pick up the league worst average on 3rd and 1?

Gibbs had a power running system. And no, Portis did not fit in. He is not a power running back.

We attempted to use him as such, but as you know, it worked sporadically at best.

Once Betts was given the chance, he doubled the pace of Portis' best season here. Doubled it.

He was never given the chance last season--so we may never know.

I also believe that as time passes, history will show that the biggest thing that hurt us during Gibbs 2 was not a lack of talent--but rather a lack of effort.

Gibbs collected paychecks on occasion--a double timeout is not acceptable from someone being paid 5 mill a year. Not preparing the team for the Seattle noise is also a disgrace coming from a pro coach.

Williams the seasaon earlier, when we fielded the worst Skins defense in 40 years was also collecting paychecks. No adjustments even this season in the second half against NE? Please.....

That stench of losing.....of not bothering to learn the nfl rules....of Gibbs sending our kicker out onto the field instead of our punter after a safety--that is either collecting paychecks or it is alzheimers. No other way about it.

That "who cares, just pay me" attitude is cancerous. If the coaches aren't putting forth effort....why would the players?

And yes.....Portis was part of that. I would refer you back to the interview he gave two months ago, where he admitted that his heart wasn't in football last year until Sean Taylor passed away. He himself said that he felt out of place for most of the first half of the season, but decided to rededicate himself to football after ST passed away.

I know that article isn't popular with CP fans....but they were his own words.

Riggins? Betts? Their hearts were always in the game.

In all honesty, our RBs have been nothing special, aside from Riggo.

Riggo #1 completely (at least for now). Then again, Riggo had a better line. Give Portis 3-4 more years with 1000+ seasons (not easy) he will be the best of all time in the franchise.

john riggins and larry brown were very special :1stplace: :point2sky stephen davis was special .. larry brown sacraficed his body and portis runs all out the same way makes you wonder how long portis can take the pounding :hammer:

Riggins? Betts? Their hearts were always in the game.

HE said Betts always in the game... HAHAHAHAH.... The dude has been here for 6 years and aside from a CONTRACT SEASON and PORTIS going down with injury has DONE NOTHING...... Personally, Betts is lucky to be a back up.... Remember, There was a reason why Betts wasnt given the job when SD left for Carolina...!

HE said Betts always in the game... HAHAHAHAH.... The dude has been here for 6 years and aside from a CONTRACT SEASON and PORTIS going down with injury has DONE NOTHING...... Personally, Betts is lucky to be a back up.... Remember, There was a reason why Betts wasnt given the job when SD left for Carolina...!

Yeah, there is a reason why Gibbs didn't play Betts. It is the same reason that Brunell played way too long....and the same reason why TC wasn't given the nod over Brunell--it's called Man Love.

And man love, especially when instilled in a person calling double timeouts, can supercede rational thinking.

Once given the chance, we saw that yes, TC was better in the offense than Brunell.

And the same with Betts--and at only 1/5th the cost of Portis.

The other 4/5ths of the enormous, prohibitive Portis salary? Imagine if that had been used instead to get a WR, DE or offensive lineman. How much better off would we be today? Think JC would have been in the hospital?

Everyone has their own opinion, but mine is that we would be much better off.

We wouldn't be drafting a DE or WR this season. Instead, we would have players now starting their second season on the team--and ready to produce.

And with this season's draft picks? We could be building a powerhouse.

Riggins is #1 as of now. But by the time his career is over, Portis will be #1. I love Gibbs as a coach, but if there's one thing that we can all agree, its that Portis didn't fit his running attack. I think Zorn's offense will open lanes for Portis and allow him to flourish.

If you look at his numbers, a healthy Portis is on the path to being a top 5 all-time rusher. You can't really knock a RB that churns out 1300-1500 yards in a system that doesn't fit him.

This really says it all. Great post.

:logo:

Archived