Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

where Does Clinton Portis Rank as a Redskin Running Back

moss1981

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Each of these rushers gave something special to the Redskins. Riggins was a Superbowl MVP who rushed for the most yards in a Super Bowl at one time. Timmy Smith still owns the Super Bowl rushing record after 20 years. Portis and Stephen Davis has either set or broken the Redskins season rushing record. Larry Brown was great. Mike Thomas, Terry Allen, and Earnest Byner were great RBs along with Gerald Riggs.

1. John Riggins

2. Larry Brown

3. Terry Allen

4. Clinton Portis

5. Mike Thomas

Although I do not believe WINNING A SB has anything to do with how good you were when it is a team sport. CP cant win the big one all by himself. When he breaks the all time SKINS Rushing Record, he will be number one. The only Stats that matter in debates like these are INDIVIDUAL STATS CONCERNING THAT POSITION. Super Bowls are a TEAM ACHIEVEMENT. Are you gonna RANK MARK RYPIEN ABOVE DAN MARINO? I think not, Are you gonna Rank Corey Dillon above Barry Sanders, I think not. There are other things that go with this though, personality, on and off the field. CP is well on his way to being the gretaest RB the Skins have as long as the STATUS QUO is maintained as far as his health and durability.

ThaT IS ME THOUGH

Riggins is #1 as of now. But by the time his career is over, Portis will be #1. I love Gibbs as a coach, but if there's one thing that we can all agree, its that Portis didn't fit his running attack. I think Zorn's offense will open lanes for Portis and allow him to flourish.

If you look at his numbers, a healthy Portis is on the path to being a top 5 all-time rusher. You can't really knock a RB that churns out 1300-1500 yards in a system that doesn't fit him.

A couple of things. Riggins was listed as a fullback in some publications, but for those of us that actually watched him play and remember the teams he played on, he was a running back. We played in a one back scheme back then. Also, how anyone can say that our backs have been nothing special, obviously just started watching Skins Football. Larry Brown, Joe Washington, Riggo, Rogers, Riggs, Byner and now Portis and Betts. I would say that these guys constitute being referred to as something other than "nothing special". Also, please be serious when you rank these guys. Right now, as of today, it would be Riggo, Brown, Portis, Washington, Byner, Rogers, Riggs.

I love Gibbs as a coach, but if there's one thing that we can all agree, its that Portis didn't fit his running attack. I think Zorn's offense will open lanes for Portis and allow him to flourish.

I agree with that. Portis was explosive in Denver in open space. This fits him because even in Seattle you saw a running back that avoided contact at all possible (i.e. Alexander) scored massive yardage and set a touchdown record.

When Portis can play in the playoffs drunk, and still get over 100 yards, I'll change my mind.

Funny you should mention that because I just watched the NFL Network show "Who Is...." featurning CP and in the interview he talked about how there was a game in Denver when he played drunk and ran for over 200 yards.

:D

Archived