Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will you miss Mark Brunell?

moss1981

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

If only we could put brunell's mind in JC head. Then we would have one hell of a QB! He was a serious Bad Ass in college and his early years in JAX. Wish we had him then! Good luck Mark and thank you for the awesome birthday gift you gave me in '05 in Dallas! I will never forget that!

I didn't vote because your choices are too far right or far left.

I appreciate what he did in maybe 3-4 games. Especially the big wins over Dallas. But obviously our brutal offensive performance over the last few years was at least partially his fault. And being that he was the QB, it was very much his fault, although not all his obviously.

So I am luke warm on him at best. Thanks for the bombs to Santana.

Did you watch the '05 Redskins?

120 yards passing in a must win to get into the playoffs. 40 yards passing in the most important game for the skins since 99 the week later. He also threw a pick in the 4th quarter of that game. Brunell kept the skins from the SB in 05.

If a team can beat a playoff team on the road when the starting QB throws for 40 yards the entire game and throws a pick near the end of the game to give the other team a chance and you still win, it proves how far the team could have gone with even mediocre QB play. Brunell sucked in 04, he sucked in 05, he sucked in 06 and contributed less than Lloyd in 07.

We wouldn't have needed 2 last minute TD's in week 2 if he didn't play like himself the rest of the game. Roy Williams dropped 2 picks right before the first TD. If he had come off the bench and led us to a win like Jeff Rutledge against Detroit, it would be a different story. He put the Skins in that position and he made 2 great passes. The rest of his passes sucked.

Did you watch the '05 Redskins?

*Edit, thought you responded to SoCal, who only seems to be able to talk about 2 games from '05.

From the 5 in a row or we don't go stretch, a little build up:

We leaned on Portis heavily down the stretch, giving him many carries because typically when he rushes for over 100 we win, Brunell was injured in the Giants game, Ramsey had to fill in, and we lost Randy Thomas for the season.

Brunell's stats during the crucial stretch up until he was injured:

STL: 14/21 156 yards 1 TD 0 INT 104.5 PR

ARI: 18/28 122 yds 0 TD 3 INT 34.2 PR (1 of only 2 games with more than 1 INT all season)

DAL: 12/20 163 yds 4 TD 0 INT 125.6 PR

NYG: 7/11 112 yds 2 TD 0 INT 99.2 PR

Brunell was bad in the PHilly game, but his overall performance for the season, instead of just cherry picking stats:

3,050 yds 57.7% comp. 23 TDs 10 INTs 85.9 PR

In the Tampa game Brunell was 7 of 15, yeah that is a valid sample size to completely dismiss him:rolleyes:

Let's also just ignore the Seattle playoff game, playing hurt Brunell's stats:

22 of 37 (59.5%) 242 yds 1 TD 0 INT 87.9 PR...... and that was with Jimmy Farris on the field, and Corey Raymer at center, and Ray Brown at guard

Judging from his posts here, the "worst skins qb ever" thread, and others, no he didn't. Apparently he only watched the last game of the season, and the playoff games. He isn't even worth responding to, nothing he posts is ever original, just the same old hate schtick as all the other "realists".

Yeah I know. It's amazing, some of the most negative people I've ever come into contact with, are found here on ES.

Yeah I know. It's amazing, some of the most negative people I've ever come into contact with, are found here on ES.

Actually, I'm not sure about that guy, though his post doesn't help his cause, but I was talking about SoCal who responded to you afterwards. Anyways, I edited my post above to show Brunell's games stats down the stretch, overall, and against Seattle in the playoffs, since SoCal only ever wants to cherry pick stats and look at the same 2 games, never mention Brunell was injured, etc.

Actually, I'm not sure about that guy, though his post doesn't help his cause, but I was talking about SoCal who responded to you afterwards. Anyways, I edited my post above to show Brunell's games stats down the stretch, overall, and against Seattle in the playoffs, since SoCal only ever wants to cherry pick stats and look at the same 2 games, never mention Brunell was injured, etc.

Yeah. That's who my "negative people" comment was pointing to. Everytime I read one of his posts, there's some sort of bashing going on.

For what it's worth, I like Brunell when he was playing. Sure he upset me at times, which will happen with any QB, but overall, for a young fan, he brought some good memories to the Redskins for me.

Yeah. That's who my "negative people" comment was pointing to. Everytime I read one of his posts, there's some sort of bashing going on.

For what it's worth, I like Brunell when he was playing. Sure he upset me at times, which will happen with any QB, but overall, for a young fan, he brought some good memories to the Redskins for me.

Some people have to crap on others to feel better about themselves.

Brunell wasn't the greatest, and he could drive you nuts with throwing it away on 3rd downs, but his style matched Gibbs' offensive philosophies. Pretty sad some people would rather continue with insults even when the player is gone, and never once mention the positives said player brought.

*Edit, thought you responded to SoCal, who only seems to be able to talk about 2 games from '05.

From the 5 in a row or we don't go stretch, a little build up:

We leaned on Portis heavily down the stretch, giving him many carries because typically when he rushes for over 100 we win, Brunell was injured in the Giants game, Ramsey had to fill in, and we lost Randy Thomas for the season.

Brunell's stats during the crucial stretch up until he was injured:

STL: 14/21 156 yards 1 TD 0 INT 104.5 PR

ARI: 18/28 122 yds 0 TD 3 INT 34.2 PR (1 of only 2 games with more than 1 INT all season)

DAL: 12/20 163 yds 4 TD 0 INT 125.6 PR

NYG: 7/11 112 yds 2 TD 0 INT 99.2 PR

Brunell was bad in the PHilly game, but his overall performance for the season, instead of just cherry picking stats:

3,050 yds 57.7% comp. 23 TDs 10 INTs 85.9 PR

In the Tampa game Brunell was 7 of 15, yeah that is a valid sample size to completely dismiss him:rolleyes:

Let's also just ignore the Seattle playoff game, playing hurt Brunell's stats:

22 of 37 (59.5%) 242 yds 1 TD 0 INT 87.9 PR...... and that was with Jimmy Farris on the field, and Corey Raymer at center, and Ray Brown at guard

How do those stats help your cause? He was unable to throw for 200 yards in any regular season game after we were 5-6. He threw for less than 150 in 3 of 5 games to finish the season.

As far as Seattle, look at his first half stats and stats when the game was competitive. Was just as ineffective. 59% passing and a QB rating of less than 88 is somehow impressive? It might be compared to 41 yards passing the week before. 7-15 is a valid sample because that is how bad he was in that game. 41 yards and a pick.

How do those stats help your cause? He was unable to throw for 200 yards in any regular season game after we were 5-6. He threw for less than 150 in 3 of 5 games to finish the season.

As far as Seattle, look at his first half stats and stats when the game was competitive. Was just as ineffective. 59% passing and a QB rating of less than 88 is somehow impressive? It might be compared to 41 yards passing the week before. 7-15 is a valid sample because that is how bad he was in that game. 41 yards and a pick.

Jesus Christ, I explained in the part you quoted me on. We leaned heavily on Portis down the stretch, ala Gibbs' offensive philosophy, meaning Brunell didn't have a lot of opportunities to throw the ball. Did you even bother looking at the small number of passes attempted in the last games?

Kind of hard to throw for over 200 yards when you're RB is churning out over 100 yards rushing each game, and you only have about 20 pass attempts over the 4 games I highlited. We won the games, and excpet for AZ, Brunell had very efficient performances, hence good passer ratings. Just cuz you throw for over 200 yards doesn't mean you are good. We lost the Seattle game by 10 points, so it was pretty competitive throughout. You still refuse to consider injuries and the bench players who were on the field, nor do you acknowledge how good Tampa and Seattle's Ds were that year (Tampa had the #1 D in '05). After we were 5-6 Brunell never had a game with 30 or more pass attempts, because the team was winning games with CP running the ball.

But please, keep proving my point that you cherry pick stats and constantly harp one the same 2 games, instead of looking at his whole season performance. You're comment in the "Worst Skins QB Ever" thread saying Brunell was the worst ever shows you are completely incapable of separating bias and hate from this conversation. Yeah, Brunell was worse than Wuerffle and Shuler, ok:rolleyes: You honestly expect to be taken seriously when you spew the same drivel day in and day out, and make absurd, over-the-top comments like the one I just pointed out?

*Good justification of the ridiculously small sample size of 15 pass attempts "cuz that's how bad he was" :laugh: Or maybe that is how good CP was, and how good Tampa's #1 D was. Nevermind Santana set a franchise record for receiving yards that year, I guess it was someone else throwing him the ball the whole time.

Damn. I had to do a double take and check the news section. I didn't know we let him go. :doh:

Mark is one of the good guys. I think we overpaid and he didn't work out but he had his moments and he always put the team first. Any team would do well to have him as their veteran backup.

Good luck Mark, wherever you go. :cheers:

bingo! and...he has been nothing but a pillar in the local community.

Archived