Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

49ers GM has the gall to insult the Redskins?

Going Commando

Then again, the skins don't have the cap space taht some of these other teams have. Hell, what do you think we would do if we were 35+ million OVER the cap? We'd have chad johnson, randy moss, djhackett, julius peppers, and the guy from the subway commercials. Jared would be playing DE alongside carter.

We're not big players because we have limited cap space. We'd have made at least one big addition if we had a few more mill to spend.

That being said, there is ridiculous amounts of cash being thrown around to moderate players, and I see that backfiring quite a bit on those other franchises. It's good to see other teams make the mistakes, while we sit idle. :applause:

Actually, if there was a player we were that interested in, we probably would have at least have them visit, yet there has been no peep. We had about as much room last year when we signed Fletcher and Smoot in the first week.

Jason

We're not big players because we have limited cap space. We'd have made at least one big addition if we had a few more mill to spend.

I don't buy this kind of reasoning because it has not stopped the Redskins from signing free agents in the past. Remember the 2006 offseason when they were reworking the CBA and everyone said the redskins were something like 20 million over the cap? They cut lavarr and signed tons of different guys in cap wizardry that I still don't fully understand. My point is, that if the Redskins had really wanted somebody this year, then they would have cut people to make room for that player to come in. Instead, the Redskins retained all of their starters and key backups from a playoff team and reworked some contracts to clear up almost ten million dollars in cap room.

Thus, I dispute your claim that the Redskins have not done anything in free agency because of an allegedly impossible cap situation on the grounds that:

A.) The Redskins actually do have cap room, &

B.) They could have made more cap room by cutting players (which they haven't done outside of Lloyd).

I would be more willing to accept that the reason the Redskins have remained inactive so far is more of an indictment of the Free-Agent crop this year than of their cap situation. I believe the front office felt that none of the Free-Agents available this year would be better than the starters we already have in place, or atleast enough so to justify paying them a great deal more than our starters, to which I agree and am encouraged by the FO's seeming display of the rational ability to evaluate personnel. I think that assuming that the Front Office is acting competently only because the circumstances are such that they can't act any other way is just defensive pessimism. That attitude is understandable to some degree, but by God, it's not like the Redskins are the Raiders. I do not believe that being a fan of this team is so miserable that we have to couch every positive thing that happens to the franchise in such a negative way.

I don't want to hear people say that Vinny is the worst GM in the NFL. Check this guy out:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=23585

- On Mike Martz hire as OC: He will take command just like a Norv Turner would, where the (players will) say, "He's been successful, let's listen to him." I don't know the guy personally, but I'll get to know him pretty darn soon.

- HAVE YOU TALKED TO HIM YET?: Very briefly. We haven't sat down and talked, no. (They plan to talk at the Senior Bowl). He's varied. When you go look at his St. Louis background, he was 50-50 run to pass.

[Next Question/comment] - THE HIGHEST PERCENTAGE OF RUN RATIO WAS 43 PERCENT IN ST. LOUIS: When he was in St. Louis he had two Hall of Fame receivers and when you have the league MVP throwing the ball, you're going to end up throwing it.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The guy is clueless.

Oh. I'm shakin' in my boots. The guy clearly has no clue. Still, it makes me sad that some of our decisions have been so questionable that folks who have had less success than we have feel qualified to second-guess us.

:rolleyes:

:49ersuck:

Wow, good link SkinsMaster88.

This guy looks and seems like a tool. It irritates me when team officials assume a canned "football speak" where they say absolutely nothing interesting at all but act like they are dropping grapefruit sized nuggets of football insight on you. Why even meet with the media if you won't tell them anything of value? That has been the most refreshing aspect of Zorn for me so far. He speaks candidly without this air of "how can I speak entirely in football cliches and say as little as possible and still make it through this media session?"

My favorite part of the of the session was his response to:

"HOW ABOUT SIGNING JUSTIN SMILEY AND KWAME HARRIS?: They will go to the free-agent market. The market will set the price range. We are not good enough to overspend on one player when we know we need a couple. We're not a team yet where we are on the Super Bowl verge."

Hmmmmmm. Does he really think so little of his fan base that they would be stupid enough to buy his demonstrably false claims? "We absolutely aren't big spenders"? "We can't afford to resign our players because we can't afford to spend a lot of money on one or two guys"?? I actually feel bad for 49ers fans.

I have heard Clemments deal is not even close to 80mill the contract is structured to where its closer to 40.

btw you guys act as if the redskins have not earned the rep

Very True.

He have earned a rep as a laughing stock and the offseason champs. We're not much better than they are. It's not like we are perennial playoff contenders. We have sucked for most of the decade. the insult, if you call it that, is warrented.

sorry guys

His comment is so "2005". Perhaps their GM hasn't heard of our front office's new regime. He's dealing with old information, we've turned over a new leaf.

He should have said "at least we're not spending money like the New York Jets." That would've been a bit more factually accurate.

Very True.

He have earned a rep as a laughing stock and the offseason champs. We're not much better than they are. It's not like we are perennial playoff contenders. We have sucked for most of the decade. the insult, if you call it that, is warrented.

sorry guys

I do call it an insult, as a franchise that has enjoyed even less success than the Redskins have this decade is attempting to claim that they are superior.

You, on the other hand, claim that the Redskins earned this reputation as a laughing stock. On what basis? Is it because 2000 and 2006 were offseasons that included some bad signings? Exactly how does this justify the Redskins as being deserving of a reputation for incompetence? Like the Colts didn't whiff in their big-time signing of Corey Simon? Like countless examples from almost every team around the league for the last several years can't be identified? Something else and more disingenuous is going on for why the Redskins are such a target in the media, and a fan like you shouldn't lap their crap up.

the 49ers front office has made some major gaffes. Alex Smith is NOT a franchise quarterback. that pick is going to set the franchise back 4-5 years.

in free agency, San Francisco has let productive players like Julian Peterson go and then signed bums like Jonas Jennings and Michael Lewis to big contracts :laugh:

Clements is a good corner but for the money they signed him for you could acquire an entire secondary :D

I do call it an insult, as a franchise that has enjoyed even less success than the Redskins have this decade is attempting to claim that they are superior.

You, on the other hand, claim that the Redskins earned this reputation as a laughing stock. On what basis? Is it because 2000 and 2006 were offseasons that included some bad signings? Exactly how does this justify the Redskins as being deserving of a reputation for incompetence? Like the Colts didn't whiff in their big-time signing of Corey Simon? Like countless examples from almost every team around the league for the last several years can't be identified? Something else and more disingenuous is going on for why the Redskins are such a target in the media, and a fan like you shouldn't lap their crap up.

:applause:

I hate articles like that but there is shred of truth behind it. A lot of my friends tell me how Dan really threw a wrench in the works when it came to FA.

I find it funny though how other teams are paying the price for what we have seemed to abandon.

Alright so the Colts whiff on Corey Simon. That's one.

Here's a list for you:

TJ Duckett (cost a third rounder- Ryan Harris an up and coming OT for the broncos)

Laveranueus Coles

Adam Archuleta

Brandon Lloyd

Jessie Armstead

Jeremiah Trotter

Deion Sanders

Dana Stubblefield

I could go on and on. Do your homework before you try and put someone down. Each one of these players signed for huge money and was an extreme dissappointment. Yes, each team is entitled to a mulligan in FA. And you know what, I really think its the pot calling the kettle black with SF calling us out on that. The players above were stars on their former teams and fell apart when they came here. In other team circles, Washington is known as the place where stars come to die. I want to be positive and I hope that our new approach will remove us from laughing stocks in other NFL circles, but you are completely wrong when you try to compare Corey Simon and EACH one of those players listed.

btw, you act as if the media hasn't overblown that rep.

We get criticized every year that we bring in more than one free agent. Christ, we were criticized by some last season for "overpaying" for Fletcher, but team slike the 49ers get a pass for ridiculous spending and no results.

2000, 2006. Please list any other season where we went "crazy" in the offseason. 2004 was a rebuilding year, and we brought in a lot of solid guys. 2000 was bad, but to be fair it was Dan's first ever offseason, and you can't tell me that a big majority on here wouldn't go even a little crazy in FA the first year they bought their favorite team since childhood. 2006 was half and half, we busted on Arch and Lloyd, we hit on El and Carter. El's contract is a little big, but we were vying with other teams for him, he was coming off a Superbowl win where he made a very memorable play, and he gives this team contributions off the field as well. Character ought to count for something, and it is sad that not as many people appreciate that quality in this team.

Very well put, especially the hit on El bit. His character off the field along with his skill on make him worth his contract. I'm kinda happy we aren't spending money on free agents, looking forward to a draft year that we will talk about years later.

:logo:

Archived