Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Should be Done with the WR Position?

2006Skins

I say use the draft no matter what.

One way we could go is get the best DL possible in round 1 and grab James Hardy in round 2 (he's 6-5 and ran a 4.47 40 at the combine, that's impressive).

We could also spend our first round pick on the best WR still on the board.

Malcolm Kelly or Limas Sweed will still be on the board by the time we pick in round 1 so we could go that way too and settle for 2nd round DL help.

People will try and say that WRs take too long to develop and blah blah blah, but we already have Moss and Randle-El who are both very good WRs, so we just need a bigger WR to spread the ball to in Zorn's offense, the new WR doesn't have to be an instant Randy Moss or Terrell Owens.

I'm not sold on Chad Johnson, Roy Williams, Fitz or any WR that we'll have to burn our much-needed draft picks on when we could use those picks on younger talent and develop that player into our system and make them a life-long Redskin.

I want to see us take the Colts approach to acquiring players (they've drafted something like 98% of their roster) for chemistry.

I think I agree with this. I think we should draft a WR no matter what in the first 3 rounds, maybe first 2. We need a young guy to develop and I'd prefer he had some size.

We can use every other pick to draft DL/OL.

I'm glad we agree. If the Bengals expect that price, and we won't give that price, that means he stays in Cinci. End of story.

Or maybe Cincy realizes they have to drop their price and we get CJ for something that isn't outrageous. I know it's a long shot but hey it'd be nice if for once we got the good end of a trade.

I'm glad we agree. If the Bengals expect that price, and we won't give that price, that means he stays in Cinci. End of story.

But if CJ doesn't stay as quiet as he has for the past 2 weeks, would you disagree that Cincinnati wouldn't at least entertain that idea? If a player wants out bad enough, to the point where some feel he "leaves his teammates' hanging," or "publically bashes his QB," then certainly Cincinnati will feel the need to get rid of a distraction.

As of now, CJ is quiet, and all is well. But if he explodes one more time before the draft, I feel confident that Cincinnati will entertain the notion of subtracting an Elite offense for Draft Picks and a Solid CB or DT.

]']But if CJ doesn't stay as quiet as he has for the past 2 weeks' date=' would you disagree that Cincinnati wouldn't at least entertain that idea? If a player wants out bad enough, to the point where some feel he "leaves his teammates' hanging," or "publically bashes his QB," then certainly Cincinnati will feel the need to get rid of a distraction.

As of now, CJ is quiet, and all is well. But if he explodes one more time before the draft, I feel confident that Cincinnati will entertain the notion of subtracting an Elite offense for Draft Picks and a Solid CB or DT.[/quote']

It really is odd that Chad hasn't gone off anymore since the super bowl. I don't know if Drew told him to shut up or not but then again he plays for the team who started the whole 'loyalty clause' (or Carl Pickens rule).

Am I the only person that thought Caldwell and McCardell played great this year?

They did at times, but their appearance made it apparent this team needs a consistent big #2 or #1 receiver. They did ok, but a Limas Sweed type player could do wonders for this offense.

Am I the only person that thought Caldwell and McCardell played great this year?

They definitely did not play great. Did they make a few nice catches, yes. I think this conversation is about a WR who can be a difference maker. What those two did was contribute what they were paid to do. They're not difference makers in the individual games or in your overall team concept.

They did at times, but their appearance made it apparent this team needs a consistent big #2 or #1 receiver. They did ok, but a Limas Sweed type player could do wonders for this offense.

Sweeds wrist is just too scary. He reminds me of Mike Williams. There is something to be said for basically missing a whole season and the impact that has on a player. In the last 5 years there have been more misses than hits in the first round with WR's. I don't touch one in the first round.

I would sign Hackett so long as his contract demands aren't outrageous. Then, I'd invest a late round pick on a potential WR who fits the mold as well, ala what the Saints did with Colston.

Good post and spot on. This is what I would do as well, I don't think our WR needs warrant a first round pick.

What's the fascination with D.J. Hackett? Is it because he's played WR for Seattle in Holmgren's/Zorn's WCO?

I don't understand why a WR like Drew Carter isn't getting more play. With the mess at QB that they had this past year in Carolina, I think it's a miracle he got the number of catches and yards that he did.

In Seattle's WCO who were the #1, #2, and #3 WR's and how did they fare versus our WR's?

What's the fascination with D.J. Hackett? Is it because he's played WR for Seattle in Holmgren's/Zorn's WCO?

I really don't know, I've been trying to figure that out as well. His stats really aren't that good and he's missed significant time every year due to injuries. I personally hope we avoid him and draft a WR.

Sweeds wrist is just too scary. He reminds me of Mike Williams. There is something to be said for basically missing a whole season and the impact that has on a player. In the last 5 years there have been more misses than hits in the first round with WR's. I don't touch one in the first round.

Most of the top NFL WRs are 1st round or 1st day picks. Most of the best DEs and OGs in the NFL are 2nd round or later picks. Don't trust me, check for yourself.

We don't need a guaranteed star for WR. Compare us to Seattle and we will see.

Moss is better than Engram. He is only more injury prone.

ARE played very well last year and seems to have a connection with JC.

Caldwell is a solid WR and should be re-signed.

I agree we could use a legit big target...I don't know, maybe DJ Hackett. I just don't want to see us overpay. We need to invite De'Cody Fagg here and hope he recovers from injury. We don't need to draft him but invite him. There are a lot of big fast WRs in this class and who knows who will hit and who won't. Do not take a WR in round one though.

We don't need a guaranteed star for WR. Compare us to Seattle and we will see.

Moss is better than Engram. He is only more injury prone.

ARE played very well last year and seems to have a connection with JC.

Caldwell is a solid WR and should be re-signed.

I agree we could use a legit big target...I don't know, maybe DJ Hackett. I just don't want to see us overpay. We need to invite De'Cody Fagg here and hope he recovers from injury. We don't need to draft him but invite him. There are a lot of big fast WRs in this class and who knows who will hit and who won't. Do not take a WR in round one though.

I also don't really get the DJ Hackett obsession. As mentioned above not only has he never really put up any impressive numbers even when healthy, but he has never had a season where he wasn't injured at least at some point. And this guy is only 26? Pass. Just because we might be able to get him for cheap doesn't mean he is what we need. Basically it is down to "Hackett is the only one that is left that isn't absolutely worthless...so let's get him!". Obviously other teams have passed him over for a reason, just as I think we will pass him over for a reason. We could get him right now for cheap, considering the fact that nobody else wants him, and yet we apparently haven't even talked to him.

I'd rather take a guy with size and major talent in the 1st round and let him grow in our offense. He doesn't have to be a superstar from the get go but he would immediately add a brand new dimension to our passing attack that we have been lacking for years. Statistically solid or even excellent D line and O line players can be found in later rounds; much more so than WRs.

What about Early Doucet in the second round? His stock has fallen to the point that he could be available there. Health is an issue with him, but he is extremely talented. If he fell to our pick in the second round, I think that it would be a steal. He has the talent of a 1st rounder.

I think we should use either our 1st or 2nd rounder on a Wide Receiver AND maybe think about getting Hackett as well. Moss, Draft Pick, Hackett, Randle El, and Cooley all on the field at the same time running routes. That would be nearly unstoppable. We've seen what the spread offense can do in this league. With pretty good pass blocking, it's nearly unstoppable.

Obviously, the next question is what receiver do we draft. I would say try to get one of the taller, bigbodied receivers like Sweed or Hardy, but you have to get whoever you evaluate as the best one available. We have to get a receiver in this draft though, even if their impact won't really be felt for a couple years

Mike Williams didn't play AT ALL his Senior year because he was barred. Not to mention, he had terrible work ethic. Sweed is nothing like Williams, but if it gives you reason to support not drafting him, you can pretend their alike.

It really is odd that Chad hasn't gone off anymore since the super bowl. I don't know if Drew told him to shut up or not but then again he plays for the team who started the whole 'loyalty clause' (or Carl Pickens rule).

:paranoid: We just agreed about Chad Johnson. :paranoid:

Most of the top NFL WRs are 1st round or 1st day picks. Most of the best DEs and OGs in the NFL are 2nd round or later picks. Don't trust me, check for yourself.

Its a shame that you're spot on, because it would be so much easier to pretend that 1st Round WRs all suck, and every DE ever drafted in the top rounds are all dominant. Its not like there was a list of the top 10 WRs and how 60% of them were first rounders. Whereas two of the brightest pass rushers last year, Trent Cole and Jared Allen, were 2nd day draft picks.

Archived