Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Should be Done with the WR Position?

2006Skins

You see the title. The entire consensus is that we need another receiver. There is not agreement, however, what we need from a new WR. Some feel we need a "true #1" which will free up Moss and give us a more reliable receiver. Some feel we only need a #2 to give us a big guy for JC to throw to. With all the receiver threads on what we should do, lets get this public on where we all stand.

To be the first on the record, I think we only need a #2. Yes Chad would be great to have, and so would Roy, but it's not worth mortgaging our entire future for. Detroit has already made it public that they would expect at least a first (in contrary to earlier reports that they only would want a #2) and Chad would probably take multiple picks, including at least 1 first round pick. If we pick up someone like Hackett or Johnson, we could get what we need in a bigger receiver. I also don't think it would hurt to pick up a big receiver in the 2nd or 3rd round if one of these guys doesn't work out.

Honestly, I like our recievers at the moment and feel we need high quality OL for back up and build continuity for future. A DE for same reason and possably a DT, and a little more depth in secondary. I like Espy and Mix to fill the need for recievers. I think we should maybe take one in the later rounds. This is a quick strike offense. We don't need a superstar big guy. Id like one but we don't need it. J. Rice was not a big reciever infact Moss will be all we need a s a true #1 in this offense. With TE and FB in play we should have many options for quick hits.

We need a legit Posession Big Body WR as our #1. Moss breaks down too often to be a #1 and he doesn't go through the middle. He usually plays outside of the hashes. This stems from signing David Patten a few years ago and not signing Plax and trading for Santana Moss.

I say use the draft no matter what.

One way we could go is get the best DL possible in round 1 and grab James Hardy in round 2 (he's 6-5 and ran a 4.47 40 at the combine, that's impressive).

We could also spend our first round pick on the best WR still on the board.

Malcolm Kelly or Limas Sweed will still be on the board by the time we pick in round 1 so we could go that way too and settle for 2nd round DL help.

People will try and say that WRs take too long to develop and blah blah blah, but we already have Moss and Randle-El who are both very good WRs, so we just need a bigger WR to spread the ball to in Zorn's offense, the new WR doesn't have to be an instant Randy Moss or Terrell Owens.

I'm not sold on Chad Johnson, Roy Williams, Fitz or any WR that we'll have to burn our much-needed draft picks on when we could use those picks on younger talent and develop that player into our system and make them a life-long Redskin.

I want to see us take the Colts approach to acquiring players (they've drafted something like 98% of their roster) for chemistry.

We need a legit Posession Big Body WR as our #1. Moss breaks down too often to be a #1 and he doesn't go through the middle. He usually plays outside of the hashes. This stems from signing David Patten a few years ago and not signing Plax and trading for Santana Moss.

2k, I see your argument. However, some would argue that we have Mix, and if we resign Caldwell, one of them can be that guy over the middle...

I say use the draft no matter what.

One way we could go is get the best DL possible in round 1 and grab James Hardy in round 2 (he's 6-5 and ran a 4.47 40 at the combine, that's impressive).

We could also spend our first round pick on the best WR still on the board.

Malcolm Kelly or Limas Sweed will still be on the board by the time we pick in round 1 so we could go that way too and settle for 2nd round DL help.

People will try and say that WRs take too long to develop and blah blah blah, but we already have Moss and Randle-El who are both very good WRs, so we just need a bigger WR to spread the ball to in Zorn's offense, the new WR doesn't have to be an instant Randy Moss or Terrell Owens.

I'm not sold on Chad Johnson, Roy Williams, Fitz or any WR that we'll have to burn our much-needed draft picks on when we could use those picks on younger talent and develop that player into our system and make them a life-long Redskin.

I want to see us take the Colts approach to acquiring players (they've drafted something like 98% of their roster) for chemistry.

Yeah, we will have the big package, the little package and everything in between.

Moss, Randle El! Limas Sweed, Anthony Mix! Light up the score board fellas. Coming to a Redskins' FedEx field this coming season, check it out and get excited!

2k, I see your argument. However, some would argue that we have Mix, and if we resign Caldwell, one of them can be that guy over the middle...

Im not going into a season to count on a guy that never really played offense in the NFL and Caldwell who serves well as a #3 or #4. I dont care if Mix and Campbell played together in College. We need to draft a Malcolm Kelly or Limas Sweed

Im not going into a season to count on a guy that never really played offense in the NFL and Caldwell who serves well as a #3 or #4. I dont care if Mix and Campbell played together in College. We need to draft a Malcolm Kelly or Limas Sweed

Personally I like Sweed over Kelly.

But who's to say we don't need only a big receiver? My question is, if you take a hard look at it, are we really in need of a big #1 receiver? Why can't we have a #1 in Moss and 2 big receivers in Caldwell and Mix?

I dont want to overpay for a WR first of all.

I dont want a malcontent either.

I want a team player who isnt bigger than the team and can play ball, in the WCO.

Hackett? Fine by me. Moss? NO. 85? NO. Walker? NO. Roy Williams? undecided.

Ideally, we would trade our #1 pick to the Cardinals and get Larry Fitzgerald and sign him to a new 7 year contract. Given that there is almost a null chance that any receiver we would draft in the first round (Malcolm Kelly, Limas Sweed, etc.) would be as good as Fitzgerald, a legitimate pro-bowl receiver, we would be surely best served trading for Fitzgerald. He's 24 and already has two 100 reception seasons and two 1400 yard seasons. He's averaged more than 8 touchdowns per season and is the huge receiving threat we've been searching for ever since the first round draftings of Michael Westbrook and Rod Gardner.

I can't possibly fathom why anyone would want a Limas Sweed or Malcolm Kelly ahead of Larry Fitzgerald. Even if a Sweed or a Kelly were to somehow blossom into a top threat, we would have to pay him huge dollars in the near future (and adjusted for NFL inflation, we would have to give them bigger contracts than an extension to Fitzgerald would cost now)

In the west coast offense, you have 3 types of receivers.

Traditionally, the WR1 is a big-bodied, physical type who can go up and catch the ball, as well as grab it over the middle. The receiver has to have good experience and hands.

The WR2 is your speedy guy that can burn a defender, can be hit on a slant, can torch up the sidelines and make great catches.

The WR3, the slot reciever, can be either a big, physical receiver to hit on a slant or cross route; or the reciever can be small and agile to hit on those routes. This position is about creating space, and either type of receiver can do that.

Moss is the WR2, ARE WR3. Zorn and Cerrato have said about as much in their interviews regarding free agency and the draft. The Skins are currently looking for the big, physical, over-the-middle receiver to fill that WR1 role.

The problem is, other than Randy Moss, there aren't any elite receivers in free agency. The good news is that with Moss, ARE, and Cooley also on the field, we don't need a Chad Johnson out there, just s omeone who runs good routes and has good hands. This means so long as the player has knowledge of the system and shows/has potential, the SDkins can grab that player and be alright. This is why there is specualtion on Hackett.

The draft would make sense as well, since this year's draft is supposedly deep with WRs. However, it is one of the riskiest positions to draft. But, the advantage is Zorn drafts his guy, and gets to groom his WR1 from the get go.

If I were the Skins though, I would sign Hackett so long as his contract demands aren't outrageous. Then, I'd invest a late round pick on a potential WR who fits the mold as well, ala what the Saints did with Colston.

Ideally, we would trade our #1 pick to the Cardinals and get Larry Fitzgerald and sign him to a new 7 year contract. Given that there is almost a null chance that any receiver we would draft in the first round (Malcolm Kelly, Limas Sweed, etc.) would be as good as Fitzgerald, a legitimate pro-bowl receiver, we would be surely best served trading for Fitzgerald. He's 24 and already has two 100 reception seasons and two 1400 yard seasons. He's averaged more than 8 touchdowns per season and is the huge receiving threat we've been searching for ever since the first round draftings of Michael Westbrook and Rod Gardner.

I can't possibly fathom why anyone would want a Limas Sweed or Malcolm Kelly ahead of Larry Fitzgerald. Even if a Sweed or a Kelly were to somehow blossom into a top threat, we would have to pay him huge dollars in the near future (and adjusted for NFL inflation, we would have to give them bigger contracts than an extension to Fitzgerald would cost now)

One problem with your thinking... The Cardinals will want more than a 1st rounder for Fitz. Try 2 first day picks (and another pick next year probably). They're very high on this guy. They have made it clear they want Fitz here for the future. They love the combo of Fitz and Boldin.

EDIT: In addition, the Cardinals tried to redo his contract, and make him the richest receiver in the NFL, and he and his agent declined. I don't think we want someone like that on this team; not to mention we can't afford it.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_previousnews.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1661

But who's to say we don't need only a big receiver? My question is, if you take a hard look at it, are we really in need of a big #1 receiver? Why can't we have a #1 in Moss and 2 big receivers in Caldwell and Mix?

I agree. Limas Sweed it is.

Caldwell isn't big and Mix isn't good.

Limas Sweed is big and good.

Yes, besides Moss first year in washington and the abrupt rule change of 5 yds that year, Moss hasn't been the same and i cant count on him to be the #1 guy here. We are fooling our selves if we think Moss can go a season without suffering a hamstring or some other injury. Maybe Mix can be something but most likely he will never be anything in this league if he hasn't shown it already to coaches and GMs in the league. Caldwell doesn't scare anyway in this league but he is a good WR on 3rd down.

Sweed can open up the entire offense for us. Cooley is the only target that can actually catch if he is still blanketed by a CB

You see the title. The entire consensus is that we need another receiver. There is not agreement, however, what we need from a new WR. Some feel we need a "true #1" which will free up Moss and give us a more reliable receiver. Some feel we only need a #2 to give us a big guy for JC to throw to. With all the receiver threads on what we should do, lets get this public on where we all stand.

To be the first on the record, I think we only need a #2. Yes Chad would be great to have, and so would Roy, but it's not worth mortgaging our entire future for. Detroit has already made it public that they would expect at least a first (in contrary to earlier reports that they only would want a #2) and Chad would probably take multiple picks, including at least 1 first round pick. If we pick up someone like Hackett or Johnson, we could get what we need in a bigger receiver. I also don't think it would hurt to pick up a big receiver in the 2nd or 3rd round if one of these guys doesn't work out.

That would be wrong. If a player becomes that much of a distraction, the Bengals could hardly say no to a #2 and a position of need. Say, Griffin + our #2. Gone are the days of teams trading high 1st rounders for Big Name Players over 29. If Cincy does expect a 1st, they're not getting one in the top 24.

Honestly, I like our recievers at the moment and feel we need high quality OL for back up and build continuity for future. A DE for same reason and possably a DT, and a little more depth in secondary. I like Espy and Mix to fill the need for recievers. I think we should maybe take one in the later rounds. This is a quick strike offense. We don't need a superstar big guy. Id like one but we don't need it. J. Rice was not a big reciever infact Moss will be all we need a s a true #1 in this offense. With TE and FB in play we should have many options for quick hits.

I wonder if you'll like 10 midgets running around in the endzone fast as hell. Sure, they'll be a blur, but they still won't catch any TDs.

Or perhaps you expect a career STer who never sees the field on Offense to suddenly turn into Plaxico Burress, simply because he's also 6'5. Surely, he'll solve our problems.

We could also argue that we have Wilson, and we signed Kevin Huntley, one of them can be that guy to get the pass rusher.

So now we don't need a DE or a WR. Brilliant! Lets draft Corners and Guards all day!

See how flawed that logic is?

See my sig. :D

Hold on he's coming!!

You both are brilliant men.

]']That would be wrong. If a player becomes that much of a distraction' date=' the Bengals could hardly say no to a #2 and a position of need. Say, Griffin + our #2. Gone are the days of teams trading high 1st rounders for Big Name Players over 29. If Cincy does expect a 1st, they're not getting one in the top 24.

I wonder if you'll like 10 midgets running around in the endzone fast as hell. Sure, they'll be a blur, but they still won't catch any TDs.

Or perhaps you expect a career STer who never sees the field on Offense to suddenly turn into Plaxico Burress, simply because he's also 6'5. Surely, he'll solve our problems.

[/quote']

You really think that if Cinci decided to trade 85, that they would take a dt that is hurt every year and a #2? I am not holding my breath. If they are willing to do that, than that would be a dumb move on their part. To get a guy of CJ's caliber, putting up the numbers he has, it takes multiple 1st day picks. About your statement of multiple picks being traded, I hope you're right; than we won't be part of those trades any more. ;)

We could also argue that we have Wilson, and we signed Kevin Huntley, one of them can be that guy to get the pass rusher.

So now we don't need a DE or a WR. Brilliant! Lets draft Corners and Guards all day!

See how flawed that logic is?

I actually don't believe that. Just playing devil's advocate. I wanted more explanation of his opinion. :)

You really think that if Cinci decided to trade 85, that they would take a dt that is hurt every year and a #2? I am not holding my breath. If they are willing to do that, than that would be a dumb move on their part. To get a guy of CJ's caliber, putting up the numbers he has, it takes multiple 1st day picks. About your statement of multiple picks being traded, I hope you're right; than we won't be part of those trades any more. ;)

CJ is a great player. But NOBODY will pay his deserved price. We both agree that he warrants multiple day one picks, but will teams bite? Teams place a huge emphasis on the draft now, so even if he deserves it, teams will pass. He's 30 after all. Now, a team would certainly package their own used goods as well as a somewhat early pick for him.

Simply put, CJ demands a high price, but the Bengals won't get paid that price.

Does anyone know anything more of Drew Carter beyond his stats?

He did have 517 yards receiving on 38 catches which is more yards than McCardell, Caldwell, and Thrash combined (just barely).

Was he the primary receiver opposite Steve Smith, who was able to reach 1000 yards this year?

I will try to add his youtube highlights which shows he can make catches in the red zone, has some pretty decent speed and can fight for the ball in the air.

Can he be or is he physical at the line of scrimage? He is 6'3.

]']CJ is a great player. But NOBODY will pay his deserved price. We both agree that he warrants multiple day one picks' date=' but will teams bite? Teams place a huge emphasis on the draft now, so even if he deserves it, teams will pass. He's 30 after all. Now, a team would certainly package their own used goods as well as a somewhat early pick for him.

Simply put, CJ demands a high price, but the Bengals won't get paid that price.[/quote']

I'm glad we agree. If the Bengals expect that price, and we won't give that price, that means he stays in Cinci. End of story.

Archived