Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

why arent we aggresively pursuing any safties?

last season we lost probably the best free saftey in football to a terrible tragedy, and luckily laron landry proved he is capable of filling those shoes as close as possible. but we now have laron landry, and a bunch of second rate guys. we have five safties on our roster, they are

Laron Landry

Reed Doughty

Pierson Prioleau

Vernon Fox

Omar Stoutmire

thats a terrifying list of safties if you ask me. outside of landry, its all special teams guys/scrubs. yet theres been so many solid safties in free agency that we havent even met with. Erik Coleman is hardly a huge name but hes a decent saftey we could have at least talked to, hes gone. Gibril wilson got a pyscho contract so i understand not going that route, but we didnt even attempt to talk to the guy. Dwight Smith could have been a very good pickup for us, and hes no huge name either, and we made no attempt to talk to the guy. madieu williams signed another psycho contract so i understand not going that route, but now i hear Eugene Wilson is a free agent and were not even mentioned in talking to the guy? thats nuts. we need another good saftey, not even good, a decent one and it seems like were making no effort. talking to will demps isnt exciting considering how bad hes been. theres no reason we shouldnt be in the market for a solid saftey option, and it seems like we arent.

im all about not going nuts in free agency, but completely ignoring it isnt the answer either.

Reed played relatively well last year coming in after a few weeks adjusting to the starting role. They complement with each other well. We dont need a superstar at every position and he played well enough to earn himself a job for this upcoming season If we can bring in Demps and maybe draft a Cb/S, i would be fine with that.

I think Reed Doughty has improved his game tremendously. He's played the run well, played the pass well, and has tackled well. He was only a rookie last year. I'm satisfied with Doughty and Fox. Landry will be a beast in the years to come. But the reserves are sufficient. I am glad however, that Prielou is not returning.

Per JLC, Will Demps is scheduled to visit us this week.

I'm under the assumption though that the team is staying with Landry as FS, and Doughty as SS, with Demps pushing him for the starting spot.

Stoutmire and PP aren't with the team now, they are free agents. The only safety w have after LL and RD is Fox. The tandem of Landry and Doughty looked well at the end of last season, and I'm all for giving Doughty a chance again next season, and having Demps as depth. It's better than going the route we did in '06 and canning a guy who played well alongside our FS in favor of a better name.

last season we lost probably the best free saftey in football to a terrible tragedy, and luckily laron landry proved he is capable of filling those shoes as close as possible. but we now have laron landry, and a bunch of second rate guys. we have five safties on our roster, they are

Laron Landry

Reed Doughty

Pierson Prioleau

Vernon Fox

Omar Stoutmire

thats a terrifying list of safties if you ask me. outside of landry, its all special teams guys/scrubs. yet theres been so many solid safties in free agency that we havent even met with. Erik Coleman is hardly a huge name but hes a decent saftey we could have at least talked to, hes gone. Gibril wilson got a pyscho contract so i understand not going that route, but we didnt even attempt to talk to the guy. Dwight Smith could have been a very good pickup for us, and hes no huge name either, and we made no attempt to talk to the guy. madieu williams signed another psycho contract so i understand not going that route, but now i hear Eugene Wilson is a free agent and were not even mentioned in talking to the guy? thats nuts. we need another good saftey, not even good, a decent one and it seems like were making no effort. talking to will demps isnt exciting considering how bad hes been. theres no reason we shouldnt be in the market for a solid saftey option, and it seems like we arent.

im all about not going nuts in free agency, but completely ignoring it isnt the answer either.

I agree that the list of safties (outside Landry of course) is not very attractive but I am willing to give Reed this entire season to fully evaluate what he can do. I know that we have an idea but I would like to see him over a 16 game season ( or 19 games would be even better :D )

To answer your question; I think filling more pressing needs in the team like OL, DL, #1 WR, and LB are what the FO is claiming to be most concerned with.

No one can replace Sean Taylor, whoever is brought in to try to do so will have so much pressure placed on him that he won't be productive no matter who it is, free agent or draft pick. Reed Doughty was a guy people have accepted based on the fact that he was thrust into his situation last year outside of his control. I think you need to give him a shot (the first shot) to keep his spot and hold off on bringing in new safeties until it is shown for sure that we need someone new.

The available list of safeties this season was just not a good one. Madieu Williams and Gibril Wilson are the only really starting calibre safeties available, which is not what we're looking for hence we didn't attempt to match their ridiculous contracts.

Erik Colemon could have been a good signing, but I believe he was looking to start.

Vernon Fox didn't look terrible a couple of years back when he was forced into a starting role. I assume we'll stick with Laron and Reed starting with Fox backing them up. Add a safety sometime in the draft or sign some street FA's after the draft. I would expect a few guys to be cut during camp late in the summer so we could probably pick someone up at the last minute if necessary. The learning curve for a safety from one system to another isn't too difficult.

the only other conclusion i can draw is maybe the team is ready to start building from the lines out? we havent signed a single saftey and theres been plenty available, we havent gone after a big name corner, we just rejected a lito shepherd offer, and all i hear from JLC is that we are interested in a DT.

maybe were all getting our wish? haha

I just watched the most of the 1st half of the final game against Dallas and Reed looked pretty solid. One PI call but other wise he was where the ball was and was making tackles. Had some good tackles on Barber and was a good part of why they were held to crap for rushing yards. He also had a key play in the end zone on 3rd and goal to force a field goal (the one that missed).

I think he needs competition this year but I think he has been solid. I am OK with him to start as long as he continues to play the way he did at the end of the season.

I think we were spoiled having two such high caliber safeties for the time we did. Most teams do not have a 1st round safety (especially top 10 picks) back there, let alone two.

I think the reason we are not aggressively pursuing safeties is because the coaching staff likes what we have in Landry and Doughty as starters. I felt like both improved their games a lot over the course of the season.

the only other conclusion i can draw is maybe the team is ready to start building from the lines out? we havent signed a single saftey and theres been plenty available, we havent gone after a big name corner, we just rejected a lito shepherd offer, and all i hear from JLC is that we are interested in a DT.

maybe were all getting our wish? haha

Here's the thing, Reed did a good job being thrown into the safety position last year. He didn't do fantastic, but he did well. I think the coaches are willing to give him one season to see how he does before they sign a fa or draft a safety.

He has earned the starting spot due to his play last year, however depth is sorely needed at the safety position.

Laron Landry

Reed Doughty

Pierson Prioleau

Vernon Fox

Omar Stoutmire

thats a terrifying list of safties if you ask me.

But, with that terrible list above we made the playoffs. They aren't perfect but they are a beginning.

Stop with the SB is NOW or never theme. Let's get use to taking the gamble and a roll of the dice with the team we build, not a free agency who's who team.

If Kenny Phillips drops to us in the second round, go for it. I am perfectly happy with Reed Doughty though. I was listening to RR, and an obscure but important statistic surprised me: If you take the number of games that Reed Started in and the number of tackles he had and you pan that same ratio of tackles and games over a 16 game season, he has over 110 tackles for the year. He's the type of in the box safety we could use. Great value as a sixth rounder. As for ST, we will never be able to replace the guy. We was going to be the best ever. All we can hope is to minimize the gaping hole he left.

For all the people that think Doughty isnt the answer I have a question. Why? A lot of people have said that they want an upgrade but have failed to mention any flaws in Reed's play. I can't remember getting frustrated with him or him blowing coverage at all last year. Just curious as to why you guys think he is not a quality starter.

Kenny Phillips? I'm telling some people believe he Might fall around the 2nd round close where the skins pick. But yeah' date=' I'm worried about Reed being the starter.[/quote']

I think he would be a great addition as well as a CB through FA.

I could have sworn Reed Doughty was the safety for the entire end of last season, and that that was the best stretch of football we played all season. I certainly dont remember the defense(and more importantly, him) being a problem.

Stop trying to find holes where they arent. There are enough holes to fill right now.

Archived