Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wsup with our RB situation?

Thinking Skins

We've got Candidate, Betts and Watson. With Betts and Watson alone last year, I thought we were perfect ar RB. Now we add Candidate to the backfield and I think this really confuses things. I mean, at the end of the season, I was really getting excited about Betts being our regular back and switching to Watson on third downs and for a change of pace. Honestly, I've never seen Candidate play RB and he may be 10-20 times better than Betts, but I mean, Betts hasnt done anything wrong so we don't need to replace him. Its almost a given that we probably wont have a thousand yard rusher this year. I'm just scaired that we'll have a RB by committee this year and it'll hurt our team.

Candidate will be Joe Washington of the new century. He can catch out of the backfield and cause many a linebacker to miss. Betts will be the more traditional running back with Watson being a bit of both. That's how I see it anyway. I have seen just about every game Candidate has played ( I live in Missouri, so the Rams are on every Sunday) I am really, REALLY stoked about this pickup, I think he can be a really great player. Don't worry about him being in Martz's doghouse, that is the equivaliant of being in Norv's...it doesn't mean much. :fortune:

If Canidate is the Joe Washington, who's the John Riggins?

Here's some histroy:

Redskins vs. Cowboys (1984)

Washington wins 30-28 over Dallas. The Redskins' big plays included Joe Theismann's 22-yard touchdown pass to Calvin Muhammad, a 30-yarder to Art Monk and runs of 14 yards by Theismann, 16 by John Riggins and an 18-yarder by Joe Washington.

I think Betts will play the traditional running back role, if you watch tapes of last years games, he hits the line and holes much faster that Davis did. With a better O-line and what Spurrier looks for in a back, we will be fine. :pint:

truth be told, Canidate is not making starter's money as a back. We can use him in a change of pace role and if he is effective in that as a counterpoint to Betts running the bread and butter stuff, we are going to be fine :)

and if Canidate doesn't turn out they way we hoped we still have two backs that are capable of playing at this level as a tandem.

Thats what I was thinking bulldog. We have candidate cheap for the next 2 years. if he produces big, we can sign him next year to a new contract. If not, we still have Betts and Watson to step up. Works out good for us both ways. I think candidate will be a great pickup for us. Although, even if he has a 1200 yard season next year, the press will still find someway to bash us for it.:D

:cheers:

Canidate was a beast in college and a beast in St Louis. The one year he wasn't in Martz tampon box.

He has sickening speed and I see him as the starter. Hits the holes exceptionally fast. Look for a two back offense at times with Betts and Canidate. Motion Trung out to a wr postition and now you have trips............catch ma drift??????????

Pickup makes sense like that.........

In the SS offense RBs exist to mop up once we are 30 pts ahead.

But SS likes the threat of speed from the backfield to occupy LBs and freeze safeties in order to free up WRs. Enter Candidate, who has speed Watson and Betts can't touch.

As for Betts hitting the lines and holes faster than Davis, ROTFLMFAO.

I hope that everyone isn't thinking that Candidate is the next Marshall Faulk. Although I like his speed, there is something to be said as to why he was in Martz's doghouse, not to mention that he was not able to beat out Lamar Gordon. 1st of all he puts the ball on the ground a bit much for me, and if we screamed about Davis fumbling then wait until Trung puts it on the ground. 2nd he is very injury prone (can't make the club when ya in the Tub)I know in 116 rushing touches Watson didn't fumble and I think that Betts didn't put it on the ground as well, (correct me if I'm wrong) 3rd he drops too many balls and his blocking is suspect.

Just to think that we could have had him for far less because the Rams were on the verge of cutting him anyway. I hate the fact that so many fans have annointed him to the top when in all actuality, for a first round player, he hasn't done squat in the League. I'm still placing my money on Betts/Watson when the season opens. I like those two and I think we will see great things from the two this year.

It's 1991 all over again - when Gibbs had 3 backs sharing duties (Byner, Ricky Earvins, and ? - I was overseas that year and didn't get to watch the Skins all year :cry: :cry: -so I can't remember the name of the 3rd guy).

Anybody think maybe we will play Canidate some as WR, a la Bobby Mitchell or Charley Taylor?

I think the only mistake, and it was minor, was Jackson saying Canidate is the #1 back. That is at least part of why fans are annointing him as such. At QB, it's more important to just let the #1 guy be #1, and let him know he's #1 going into training camp.

But at RB, I don't see why they needed to do that. It makes Trung happy now, but he'll just be more disappointed or pissed if he doesn't wind up the starter as the season gets going. I think Betts will be best as the "starter", but I think they'd do fine splitting and with Canidate more likely in there as a change of pace guy.

Anyway, I think it was a good pick-up because it was a pretty cheap price to pay, and with low salaries, it's not like it hurts to have 3 good RBs, as there could always be injuries. I just think it would have been best to say, hey, we've got 2 good young RBs, and now we've added another who is REALLY fast. The job will be up-for-grabs in training camp, but we'll likely be using 2 or 3 of them in games anyway.

People who think we won't have a 1000 yard+ back in Mr Spurrier's offense, don't know his offense or must think we'll suck. If Davis had not had the injury bug, he'd have had around 1300 yards in 2K2 though.

A successful year will see our prime RB (probably Betts as he now is the closest back to the Spurrier-type) will have between 1400-1600 yards rushing. A successful Spurrier offense will have about a 50-50 pass/run ratio (based on his #'s from Florida and successful games last year). He has also tended to stay with one prime back although he does show a propensity to using his change-of-pace back (something like Gibbs).

Now, since some people want us to ignore defense, we mayl have to score in a couple of plays and probably have to be coming back, we could see a lot of passing but still loose.

I'm not a big fan of running back by committee. It's important that they establish one starter, and one 3rd down back. I think either Canidate or Betts will start, and Watson will be the 3rd down back. I was very impressed with Watson, and I feel that he deserves a chance to be involved in the offense. Our screen plays with these backs will be a strong weapon.

Archived