Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Salary Cap UPDATE 4:42PM

RedskinsSuperBowl21

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Posted at 4:42 PM ET, 02/29/2008

Salary Cap Update

So the Skins were $3.5 million under the cap yesterday. Once the Collins signing becomes official - he has agreed to terms but all of the paperwork has not yet been executed - that would put the Skins at $2 million under the cap.

However, the rengotiation with Santana Moss is complete and official, sources said, creating an additional $2.1 million in space. So let's call it $4.1 for now. And the Clinton Portis renegotiation is essentiall done, sources said, and once that is reflected in the cap figures the Skins would be sitting on roughly $8 million in room.

Now, most teams will put at least a few million aside to account for injuries and cap issues through the season, and the Skins will need several million more to sign draft picks. But they will also create more space in June with the Brandon Lloyd cut - and they can trim some fat by making other cuts as well - and of course, Shawn Springs, Marcus Washington and Cornelius Griffin remain prime candidates for new deals should a need arise.

To this point the team has not asked any of them for permission to re-do their deals, sources said.

The Todd Collins Contract

According to sources, here's the breakdown on the deal TC just signed.

It is indeed 3 years, worth a max of $9 million, with a $3 million signing bonus (but there's a cap-saving quirk as well).

In essence, he'll get $4 million guaranteed - the $3 million signing bonus, a $100,000 workout bonus due this spring, and his $900,000 salary for 2008 (assuming he does not get hurt in the offseason somehow).

In 2009 he has another $100,000 workout bonus and a base of $1.9 million

In 2010 he has another $100,000 workout bonus and a base of $2.9 miullion (again, base salaries in the NFL are not guaranteed).

However, instead of his 2008 cap hit being $2 million ($1 million proration of the signing bonus + $100,000 bonus + salary), it's actually $1.5. How you might ask?

Sources said the deal is actually for six years, but the final three years are set up as such so they will void automatically (much like Mark Brunell's last deal voided after 2007). But for cap purposes the $3 million signing bonus is spread over 6 years rather than 3 - hence $1.5 million cap hit rather than $2 million.

The Redskins made re-signing Collins their chief priority, with owner Daniel Snyder involved and negotiations going well past 2 am and picking up again in the morning, according to sources. The Skins spent considerable time trying to get this done, including Coach Jim Zorn flying to Quincy, Mass. yesterday.

Sounds like a 1 year deal then. I doubt we keep a $1.9 mill backup on the roster in 2009. But I guess I could be wrong.

We kept Brunell around with that kind of cap number. I can't really see the team having to do this all over again next year, because I doubt that any young guy we pick up this year as the #3 is going to be ready to back up Campbell next year.

Jason

We kept Brunell around with that kind of cap number. I can't really see the team having to do this all over again next year, because I doubt that any young guy we pick up this year as the #3 is going to be ready to back up Campbell next year.

Jason

I can. I think zoony is right, that this is essential a 1 year deal for Collins depending on what the cap situation is for 2009. They could have him in uniform for 1 year then cut him next year and bring in another veteran backup that's like 32-35 years old instead of promoting the #3 up to #2 in 09.

Sounds like a 1 year deal then. I doubt we keep a $1.9 mill backup on the roster in 2009. But I guess I could be wrong.
I can. I think zoony is right, that this is essential a 1 year deal for Collins depending on what the cap situation is for 2009.

I think this is basically a 2 year deal. Since his signing bonus is spread out over 6 years (counting .5 Mil each year).

If we keep him in 09 his CAP hit is 2.4 Mil. If we cut him in 09 we have 2.5 Mil in "dead money" to content with in 09 (or 09-10 depending on when he is cut) plus we would still need a backup in 09. This wouldn't make much sense to me.:whoknows:

What's the average salary for backup QBs in the league? It would seem $1.9 mil wouldn't be all that out of line (no idea, though).

The more I think about it, sounds like a number that is right in the middle, and could fall either way. It works as a 1 or a 2 year deal... I'm guessing a lot is going to depend on how he is feeling at 38 :)

I don't understand how we can get away with these voidable years written into our contracts. You would think the NFL would frown on these. I love how we keep finding ways to beat the salary cap though.

They get away with it because there isn't a rule against it.

As I still don't seem to be able to post new posts (and still have no idea why), let me add this interesting article here

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/reuben_frank/03/01/cap.figures/index.html

I was not even aware of this, and it's something that is obviously a huge factor in getting an advantage in a suppposed equal cap system but is clearly not. $20M extra cap room is a LOT of extra moolah. The Redskins and their "clever" handling of the cap (I'm not one who subscribes to that theory as I think managing the cap and being able to squeeze under the cap are two different things) mean we are unlikely to reap the kind of bonus that the Vikings seem to have!

What's the average salary for backup QBs in the league? It would seem $1.9 mil wouldn't be all that out of line (no idea, though).

Not at all, I heard two other backups that were signed (can't remember there names) were making 2.3 and 2.5 per year.

and the Vikings have won what in the NFL over the past several years? :)

The Bears and Packers have treated Minnesota like a speed bump in the NFC North.

I'm curious if there's a correlation between how much cap space any given team has in any given year, and how well that team's season turns out that same year...I'm guessing there is none.

Archived