Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC mystery puzzle: So who are the players the Skins are pursuing in trades?

inmate running the asylum

Jets shopping former 1st-round pick

For those reasons - money and scheme - the Jets are willing to listen to trade offers for the former first-round pick, the Daily News has learned. Over the last few days at the scouting combine in Indianapolis, the Jets have been gauging Dewayne Robertson's value around the league, according to several NFL sources. A handful of teams, including the Broncos, are showing interest.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/41330

Yet, we did the same thing with Santana Moss. Personally, I don't have a problem doing that if you believe in a player. Also, let's be realistic here: Even the harshest critic of the trade would not have predicted that Lloyd would do THAT poorly.

No doubt the Redskins majorly misjudged Lloyd, but I'd rather see that type of commitment to a guy we traded multiple draft picks for, rather than just seeing him walk the next year like Duckett. That trade pisses me off far more than the Lloyd trade.

Jason

Yep and I'll bet our FO is also taking some serious notes on how these deals went down and adjusting relationships accordingly, too bad these mistakes cost so damn much.

I think we do the Cory Williams trade, and then sign Drayton Florence in FA...In Williams we get an above avg 3 technique DT that is young, proven and inexpensive a 3rd round or possibly a 2009 2nd round pick, and in Florence we get an athletic, proven CB...Then we can go WR(James Hardy), and DE(Chris Ellis) in the 1st and 2nd, in the 4th OG(Best Avail)...

Below was JLC's blog this afternoon......

JLC Blog: Quick Update

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Posted at 2:26 PM ET, 02/26/2008

Excerpt:

“I'm on WashingtonQuick Update. :blahblah: :blahblah:...... “Briefly, I expect the Skins to continue to pursue several trade options with the free agent market limited. I'll post on that later in the week. They have interest in several players who are being floated.”

Which was followed up by his article for the Wednesday edition of the WP below. Is there more to this that he is holding back? The only trade possibility mentioned here is Chad Johnson, because Randy Moss and D.J. Hackett are free agents. :whoknows:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...2603262_pf.html

Lloyd Is Cut Loose by Redskins

By Jason La Canfora - Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Excerpt:

:blahblah: :blahblah: …… “Owner Daniel Snyder and Cerrato have made acquiring an elite wide receiver a top priority this offseason, with Lloyd's departure an expected precursor. Team officials have serious interest in trading for Cincinnati's Chad Johnson should he become available, sources said, while free agents Randy Moss and D.J. Hackett are possible targets as well."

“The price of what these guys are going to be paid is astronomical,” Vinny Cerrato, Washington’s vice president of football operations, said in a news conference over the weekend at the combine. “So I don't foresee us being a big player in free agency.”

So is Vinny being clever here with words? Meaning the Skins won't be big players in FREE AGENCY, but will be big-players in the TRADE MARKET where the salaries are already on paper in black and white? :laugh: What do the Vinny bashers hiding out there think? :rolleyes:

My dream scenario would be get Roy Williams with our 2nd round pick, Corey Williams with our 3rd and draft Brandon Albert with our 1st. Thats WR, D line and O line taken care of and 3 immediate starters. On the second day we draft for depth at tackle, OLB and safety.

In free agency we get Drayton Florence to play nickle then call it an offseason and start the OTA's ;)

Meanwhile back on planet Earth the Lions are still laughing at an offer of a 2nd round pick for Roy, Brandon Albert goes before we get to pick and we get outbid for Florence ......

Corey Williams for a 3rd and future conditional pick would be a deal that could happen though and one I would make.

I must be the only Dewayne Robertson fan among us. He's young, strong, quick and experienced. Right now, he's playing out of position. In the right Defense (ours) he could apply some nice pressure up the middle.

I'm trying to imagine how amazing our passing game would be if we sign Randy Moss or Chad Johnson. We would be INSANE! Santana Moss would probably run wild.

http://sports.aol.com/voices/jensen/_a/moss-sticking-as-free-agents-roll-out/20080226105209990001

This article seems pretty reliable, so it looks like Randy Moss is re-signing with New England and Lance Briggs is signing with San Francisco.

I'm not disappointed in these two because it would have been too big of a cap hit.

I must be the only Dewayne Robertson fan among us. He's young, strong, quick and experienced. Right now, he's playing out of position. In the right Defense (ours) he could apply some nice pressure up the middle.

I'm trying to imagine how amazing our passing game would be if we sign Randy Moss or Chad Johnson. We would be INSANE! Santana Moss would probably run wild.

I'm also surprised that nobody else is really talking about Robertson. Admittedly, I haven't watched the Jets enough to have an informed opinion of the guy, but I know that he's young (26), has missed very few games in his career, and has been playing out of position.

Landing either Robertson or Corey Williams would be great. That would free us up a little to possibly look elsewhere in the draft - going BPA at one of our OTHER positions of need (DE, OL, WR, etc).

I'm also surprised that nobody else is really talking about Robertson. Admittedly, I haven't watched the Jets enough to have an informed opinion of the guy, but I know that he's young (26), has missed very few games in his career, and has been playing out of position.

Landing either Robertson or Corey Williams would be great. That would free us up a little to possibly look elsewhere in the draft - going BPA at one of our OTHER positions of need (DE, OL, WR, etc).

The problem with DeWayne Robertson now, is that he has a bloated, monster contract, which would have to be redone to fit under our cap, and the NY Jets would have to be willing to take monster cap hit if they traded him. :rolleyes:

The downside to not signing a newly aquired player to a contract right away, is that if you gamble and wait to see how well he plays you run the risk of upping the players price or even being outbid as the player becomes a free agent.

Imagine a TJ Duckett scenario where the player actually works out and then doesn't resign. That's not a position I'd want to be in. And I hope the Redskins front office hasn't been jaded enough by the retarded Lloyd move to where they don't act properly in the future.

Some of the players on this list are of the caliber where you wouldn't have to worry about giving them a new contract because you know they have the goods. I wouldn't hesitate at all in giving Roy Williams a new deal. I think we'd be stupid not to.

The problem with DeWayne Robertson now, is that he has a bloated, monster contract, which would have to be redone to fit under our cap, and the NY Jets would have to be willing to take monster cap hit if they traded him. :rolleyes:

By moving DeWayne before June, the Jets would shave almost $4M off their cap. He's got a 9.8M cap figure now, 6.8 is salary and the rest is the 2008 allocation for his bonus. He also has anothr 3M currently scheduled to be allocated in 2009. He's due a $3M bonus in June that is a 'fish or cut bait' roster bonus often used in lieu of voidable years. Remember, this bonus has yet to be paid. So, we have 11.8M cap hit if he plays for the Jets versus about 6M if he's traded before June. Only thing is, I don't know their current dead-money situation or how they manage that pool, so they may not want to be adding 6M to the dead-money pool although sunk money is sunk money. The team that does the trade will take around $a 4M cap hit if they don't extend him but did just a standard re-work. With a re-worked contract that he'd most likely be given, he'd have a 2008 hit of around 2 to 2.5M (he would end up pocketing about 12.5M this year and another 10 to 13 next year at the 2.5 figure).

By moving DeWayne before June, the Jets would shave almost $4M off their cap. He's got a 9.8M cap figure now, 6.8 is salary and the rest is the 2008 allocation for his bonus. He also has anothr 3M currently scheduled to be allocated in 2009. He's due a $3M bonus in June that is a 'fish or cut bait' roster bonus often used in lieu of voidable years. Remember, this bonus has yet to be paid. So, we have 11.8M cap hit if he plays for the Jets versus about 6M if he's traded before June. Only thing is, I don't know their current dead-money situation or how they manage that pool, so they may not want to be adding 6M to the dead-money pool although sunk money is sunk money. The team that does the trade will take around $a 4M cap hit if they don't extend him but did just a standard re-work. With a re-worked contract that he'd most likely be given, he'd have a 2008 hit of around 2 to 2.5M (he would end up pocketing about 12.5M this year and another 10 to 13 next year at the 2.5 figure).

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I don't know if the trade would be worth it to the Redskins in the long run(financially speaking) or not. :whoknows: I believe I read where the Redskins already have about $ 11 or 15 million in dead cap money for 2008, although I could be mistaken.

Thanks for the info (from another SLC guy).

So the cap figure wouldn't be prohibitive.?.

Question is, would his PLAY make it worth while? Again, I haven't seen enough of the guy to have an opinion either way.

Archived