Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bleacher Report: Brandon Lloyd: Redskins' Problematic Expense(M.E.T.)

SkinFan63

Because by all accounts, he sucks at it. And it's something that he seems to focus on more than performing on the field, which cost the Redskins a shiney penny.

Most hardcore fans around here are in tune with salaries and bonuses, and to most of us Lloyd has worn out his welcome.

He seems to spend more time playing Halo 3 and rapping than he does trying to get in sync with the team and get in good graces with the coaching staff so he can actually help the Redskins win on Sunday.

He certainly has the talent to give the team 40 catches and 5 TDs per year. If he had done that two years in a row we wouldn't be having this conversation. Problem is, he's caught three passes and no touchdowns in two seasons, :laugh:.

Yeah, I've seen the articles and even the pictures that referrence what you're talking about. But he's not entitled to hobbies? All we heard about Jason Campbell at the beginning of last season was how dedicated he was to studying and practicing. And... well... we know how much he improved...

At the very least Lloyd's not a cancer by any means. He doesn't complain to the media about not getting playing time (who knows what happens behind closed doors... and to his credit, I hope he's been complaining). He doesn't insinuate that he wants to be traded.

I think Lloyd's outcome should be determined by Zorn and his offensive coordinator (oh crap! I don't even remember our new OC's name). If Zorn wants to give Lloyd a shot, I'm fine with that. If Zorn doesn't think Lloyd fits, I'm fine with that.

Either way, it seems we don't save anything by letting him go so we might as well bring him to camp.

Agreed. If we're not just going to cut him right now then bring him to camp and give him a fair shot at proving to the new coach and new system that he can be an effective player. I am no longer looking for elite from BLlyod...just effective, catch 4-5 balls a game, maybe a TD every 3-4 games, just bloody something from him!

My favorite catch from him was his very first one in the preseason game versus the Bengals. Everyone in ExtremeSkins thought Brandon Lloyd was gonna have a monster year after he made that diving catch from Brunell... Little did we know...

That's the story of Brandon Llyod. Some big memorable circus catches that show some serious talent that he cannot seem to harness properly. Oh and combine those circus catches with a bad attitude and a lack of effort and a fear of contact and well.

Because by all accounts, he sucks at it. And it's something that he seems to focus on more than performing on the field, which cost the Redskins a shiney penny.

Most hardcore fans around here are in tune with salaries and bonuses, and to most of us Lloyd has worn out his welcome.

He seems to spend more time playing Halo 3 and rapping than he does trying to get in sync with the team and get in good graces with the coaching staff so he can actually help the Redskins win on Sunday.

He certainly has the talent to give the team 40 catches and 5 TDs per year. If he had done that two years in a row we wouldn't be having this conversation. Problem is, he's caught three passes and no touchdowns in two seasons, :laugh:.

With all due respect, I do believe he does practice hard and has been given little (to none) oppoturnities to "perform on the field".

And with his salary and bonuses and worn out his welcome. It's the FO that traded for him and signed him to the ludacris contract, it's not his fault. A misjudge in talent or misuse in scheme. IMO, he has not been given the full opportunity. You don't sign 2 number 2 WR's for that much money on a run first team and expect them to get 1300 yards and 10+ TD's do you?

Why even bother, especially if you're gonna run a double TE, 1 WR set and have Thrash be that guy.

I have never heard any player say he's a locker room cancer or a dog. His production stinks, thus we all get on his back. But when has he been given the opportunity?

Who ever wanted him (The FO or coaches) missed on many accounts.

Until the Skins get more and better WRs ... I say keep him and play him ... he should do much better under Zorn's offense. The problem here was Gibbs ... not Lloyd.

It seems as though 99% of players loved playing for Joe and the other 1% didn't.

IMO we should try the BLloyd experiment one more time under the new regime and try to baby him into putting some more effort into things. If we play him and he gets 40-75 catches at least he's worth something at that point.

He makes a good point. If he is designated a June 1st cut, we dont get the cap money until June 1st, so it doesnt help us in FA. What does it help us with? Any late moves, such as signing someone else's June 1st cut, or signing a player to a contract extension. Daniels I expect to see cut(we save 3 mill immediately), but Lloyd and Griffin will be interesting to see what happens.

on a good side note, now that gibbs is gone we dont have to hear anymore worthless crap about character guys, so if we in fact bring in another b lloyd type in the future they might actually get a shot. i do think the guy was shafted here and all of our WR have sucked from 2006 on including santana moss, but lloyd just takes way too much of the fall. i mean i went to every home game last season and he was barely on the field ever. our entire section joked around everytime we saw him trot out there. thats just not good.

Until the Skins get more and better WRs ... I say keep him and play him ... he should do much better under Zorn's offense. The problem here was Gibbs ... not Lloyd.

I don't think you can say that, you make it sound like Lloyd is without fault. I think we can surmise from Llyod's time in SF that he is a problem and his issues and lack of playing time here certainly are at least in part, his fault.

That being said, if Zorn is willing to wipe the slate clean with Lloyd and give him a chance to prove himself then I say go for it.

Yeah, I've seen the articles and even the pictures that referrence what you're talking about. But he's not entitled to hobbies?

Certainly every man in this world is entitled to hobbies. The problems arise when those hobbies become more important than responsibilities. Certainly a football player with millions in guaranteed money can get away with this more so than say a working stiff like me or you, :laugh:.

That doesn't excuse the fact that Brandon Lloyd could have been at Skins park working with Jason all off-season. Instead he was rapping at house parties, playing Halo, and spening Snyder's money.

If the new staff gives him a chance I will grin and bear it, but I highly doubt that is the case. Why would Z-man come out and say the team needs a WR?

Who ever wanted him (The FO or coaches) missed on many accounts.

Well that certainly cannot be argued. :cheers:

Probably Gibbs. Hey, might as well blame someone who is gone, right?:laugh:

At the end of the day he might not complain to the media, but to me he's a cancer because he's a poor example to other young players on the team. There are guys like BL in the corporate world and they are called lazy bums that never get promoted. Lloyd just got lucky and the right team over-paid for him.

Well that certainly cannot be argued. :cheers:

Probably Gibbs. Hey, might as well blame someone who is gone, right?:laugh:

At the end of the day he might not complain to the media, but to me he's a cancer because he's a poor example to other young players on the team. There are guys like BL in the corporate world and they are called lazy bums that never get promoted. Lloyd just got lucky and the right team over-paid for him.

But what's the poor example you're talking about, that makes him a cancer?

But what's the poor example you're talking about, that makes him a cancer?

It could be argued that BL wasn't given a fair shake in Washington.

I think most point to that ONE pass in 2006 when Campbell threw a bomb to him, it was intercepted, and he just stood there. Since then he was in Gibbs dog-house.

But I don't think that tells the whole story. Granted he may have gotten on the bad side of the previous staff, but it's his job to overcome that. At some point in your life you have to swallow your pride and show up to work. A few mistakes didn't seal his fate, it was his overall work ethic. You can't reward guys like that with playing time when they don't earn it by practicing hard and taking one for the team so to speak.

It's one thing if your name is Clinton Portis and you are a stud in every game you play in. Totally different when you drop passes and don't go after guys who just picked off the football and follow that up by not spending extra time practicing with a young QB.

It could be argued that BL wasn't given a fair shake in Washington.

I think most point to that ONE pass in 2006 when Campbell threw a bomb to him, it was intercepted, and he just stood there. Since then he was in Gibbs dog-house.

But I don't think that tells the whole story. Granted he may have gotten on the bad side of the previous staff, but it's his job to overcome that. At some point in your life you have to swallow your pride and show up to work. A few mistakes didn't seal his fate, it was his overall work ethic. You can't reward guys like that with playing time when they don't earn it by practicing hard and taking one for the team so to speak.

It's one thing if your name is Clinton Portis and you are a stud in every game you play in. Totally different when you drop passes and don't go after guys who just picked off the football and follow that up by not spending extra time practicing with a young QB.

well, he did come back to camp last season with some extra muscle. Busting his rear getting into better shape instead of sitting on a beach somewhere all off-season indicates to me he does care. I get the impression that once he got in that dog house, he wasn't given much of a chance to get let out.

I don't remember him dropping many passes - hard to when you're not allowed on the field, but I do remember Santana dropping quite a few this past season.

The guy could play in San Fran and now all of a sudden he forgot how to play? I don't buy it. Maybe if Zorn and Sherm give him some support, he'll suprise us all.

I would go with option 2, because 2009 will most likely be an uncapped year so we can take whatever hits we want in 09.

You sir are mistaken. In the event that the owners opt out, 2009 would be the last capped year and 2010 would be the first uncapped year.

I get the impression that once he got in that dog house, he wasn't given much of a chance to get let out.

That very well could be the case. We may never know unless the current staff gives him a shot and he performs well enough to talk about it, or he goes to another team and tells all:laugh:.

I still say he is long gone. Why else would the new staff say WR is a position of need?

on a good side note, now that gibbs is gone we dont have to hear anymore worthless crap about character guys, so if we in fact bring in another b lloyd type in the future they might actually get a shot. i do think the guy was shafted here and all of our WR have sucked from 2006 on including santana moss, but lloyd just takes way too much of the fall. i mean i went to every home game last season and he was barely on the field ever. our entire section joked around everytime we saw him trot out there. thats just not good.

character can be quite important to the team's success, ask the Atlanta Falcons. However, point taken. But, we have no idea what happened in practice and no one else on offense got this treatment. Also, we saw what happened in Miami on the Int.

Here is what I don't get. The guy comes back into training camp way bigger than the year prior. How the hell does he get moved down the depth chart? He tanked one play...so you bench him? That is stupid. I am sure we have had players tank more than one play but they don't disappear.

I think if Lloyd wants to stay here we let him. Give him a shot under the new coaching staff and see if he can make an impact. While I did not like reading things about him sometimes, I still hope he can get his act together and make some plays for us.

We'll see come June 1st.

Here is what I don't get. The guy comes back into training camp way bigger than the year prior. How the hell does he get moved down the depth chart? He tanked one play...so you bench him? That is stupid. I am sure we have had players tank more than one play but they don't disappear.

I think if Lloyd wants to stay here we let him. Give him a shot under the new coaching staff and see if he can make an impact. While I did not like reading things about him sometimes, I still hope he can get his act together and make some plays for us.

We'll see come June 1st.

Yeah they did a piece on CSN on him, and his new diet which put muscle on him. He looked dedicated and was a regular on the "junkies" radio in the morning. He seems to be a good guy. I would like to seem him play just to get Some return on his investment. West Coast O will see some 3 and 4 wr packages. Moss has been injury prone. El is solid but #3 slot is open. Hopefully filled by JAMES HARDY in the draft!

Archived