Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vinyl Records, CDs or MP3s?

d0ublestr0ker0ll

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Why do you those of you that listen to vinyl records believe it's a better sound? Same goes for those that prefer CDs. Do you like them for the album art? Or is there actually more of a "raw sound"?

Vinyl records for some reason, are great for classic rock, I can't really put my finger on why, though. The "crackly" noise from the vinyl just makes me feel more a part of the true nature of the music, that's for sure. But is that enough to justify why the songs aren't as good when you put them on an IPod? There are a few Jimi Hendrix tunes that I refuse to listen to unless I play them on vinyl. And most tunes from early Motown are now impossible to listen to when they aren't on the 45 vinyl. Help me figure out why....

I would prefer to listen to CDs. Vinyl is cool because of the hiss and the pops...the sound is genuinely unique. Though, since I am turning into an audiophile, I have to go with CD's. The only bad thing is that is that I don't carry my CD's around with me...thats my iPod's job. mp3's in reality are pretty crappy if you do a listening test between the average mp3 and your average CD. But for sake of being portable, mp3 ftw!

MP3's aren't great sound quality but they are very compressed and convenient.

If you can find the source file and use a lossless converter you can get outstanding quality music though it'll be large in size.

Yes. However, you can get the same outstanding quality with a file compressed up to 75% by using FLAC. But you have to have a player that plays FLAC, of course.

Also, it is very, very difficult to tell the difference between a wav file and an mp3 compressed at 256 kbps or better.

Here's a thread on it (this is a great site, by the way, if you're into this kind of thing):

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f9/audio-quality-flac-ogg-mp3-etc-293799/

I rip all my mp3s at high quality using EAC and WinLAME. A friend of mine wrote a profile for it that alters the bit rate of the song so that it rips at the highest quality when there is detailed audio and then drops to 0 in the brief pauses in between, IE between drum beats and so on. What you get is a file compressed to the smallest size possible while still having the highest sound quality possible. File size is still somewhat larger than a standard mp3 but not as much as if you just ripped the whole song at high quality. It's pretty funny if you play the song in something like winamp that shows that bit rate because the number is constantly changing throughout the song.

Vinyl has the ability of making analog recodings sound "fat" or very "warm" as some would call it. Since the older recordings were all done analog it was the best choice, if you take analog recordings say the album Ride the lightning by Metallica and listen to it on cd and then on vinyl, vinyl sounds better. It was a compatable format for that technology.

I have a bunch of vinyl that I never listen to anymore. Probably because I got rid of my old stereo and gave my turntable to my sister. I have lots of CDs, although I don't listen to them directly much, as I have ripped all the songs that I like off of them and onto my mp3 player. So mostly I just listen to the 1400+ songs I have on my mp3 player, although I need more room to add more songs.

I have a bunch of vinyl that I never listen to anymore. Probably because I got rid of my old stereo and gave my turntable to my sister. I have lots of CDs, although I don't listen to them directly much, as I have ripped all the songs that I like off of them and onto my mp3 player. So mostly I just listen to the 1400+ songs I have on my mp3 player, although I need more room to add more songs.
I tried to do that, but it takes forever, and I didn't like the quality.

So I bought the albums in CD format on ebay as used CDs, ripped them, then resold most of them. The way I see it, I already bought and owned the original music, so no harm done.

Vinyl is better. Digital music only captures the High and low of the frequencey. Vinyl or analog recording captures the whole thing.

CD's are next best. The reason being the ammount of memory utilized. For example, when I send out a piece as a WAV to be broadcast they average around 60 megs for about 6 minutes (mono recording), but for web recording the MP3 version of the same thing is usually 6-10 Meg. You are just getting a lot less bang for your buck. Now, most people don't have the quality equipment to hear the difference. A best buy stereo or earbuds won't actually let you hear the real differences, but if you do have the equipment or you're producing things for broadcast or sale there is a tremendous difference.

This thread has me jonesin' for a trip to the records store. I'm gonna go smell some vinyl this weekend. Gotta find my Captain Beefheart album. Anyone have good vinyl recommendations? Must haves from your collection if you will?

Too many to list, my man. I have an old Jimi Hendrix record called The Essential Jimi Hendrix Vol 2. that sits on the turntable all the time. Same with Are you Experienced and Electric Ladyland.

I also love Sgt. Peppers and Rumours (Fleetwood Mac) on vinyl. Zeppelin 1 sounds great on vinyl, too. Early Rolling Stones albums are essential on vinyl, I can't listen to them otherwise, same goes for almost anything from Motown. Little Feat also sound amazing on vinyl.

Archived